Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this will be a dumb question. But does anyone else's Dobe suffer from allergies?

I'm not sure if it's allergies that Bruno has. But it sure looks like it. Itchy eyes, full of gunk (which I heard is common) but they're always red also. They don't always bug him. But I notice he does scratch quite a bit. So I'm wondering if maybe he's suffering from allergies. If so, is there anything I can do for him??

Sorry I'm so clueless lol.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Absolutely dobies can get allergies, just like any dog. Typically dog allergies present themselves as skin issues, itching flaking, etc.

The key is finding out what is bothering him, it could be food, something in the house, seasonal, fleas, products used on him, etc.... And allergies, like in people can come out of nowhere too. I never had seasonal allergies until two years ago, now every fall, I'm miserable (love that claridon :))

They really shouldn't have a constant goopy eye, we had a goopy eye go around with my three dogs for about a week or two, it was probably some small virus, as soon as it cleared up, it was gone for good. If it doesn't clear up, I'd get him to the vets, a little antibiotic might just clear it up.

Is he on flea prevention? Flea allergies are not all that uncommon and the little suckers live just fine indoors in the winter. What kind of food is the boys eating? Maybe a change in food might be worth a try too? Bath in a moisturizing shampoo, something with a oatmeal base. Just throwing out some ideas:)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have allergies really bad. So I know what it's like LOL. I just got them really bad the last 2 yrs.

Now, I do have advantage on him. He's had 3 treatments (2 when I first got him...once a month of course). Then I just recently put another one on him. Because I think the fleas from Oscar are still around. I'd rather be safe, then sorry (haven't spotted any on him). So it could be fleas. But I don't know. I'm not sure what else it could be. He's been on the same food since birth (well, after Momma's good stuff hehe). Which is Eukanuba. He seems to be eating it fine and has no trouble with it? So I dunno. I was thinking of bringing him to the vet. But thought I'd see if anyone else went through the same problems and might have an answer ;)

Thanks for the help tho. I will put into consideration of the allergies to something in the house. I'll just have to try to pin point it!! lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Narkio has the typical sleepys in her eyes everyday.... but never redness.... i wouldnt hesitate to check out your vets opinion on it, maybe even just a phone call to determine the concern

1 - 4 of 4 Posts