Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have owned trained tons of dogs from all kinds. malamutes to Pomeranians.
I live in a huge house. I wanna buy a new dog i narrowed to a dobbie and a gsd which should i get and why? I have the time to take care of them. Please state the difference in terms of INTELLIGENCE, STAMINA, PROTECTIVE INSTINCTS.
And any other info. Any help from owners of both or people who know is appreciated. Thank you. :thanx:

· Registered
19 Posts
I don't know much about Dobermans. I am a new member looking at possibly getting one. I do own a GSD. I can tell you they are all pretty high energy, demanding dogs. They are very, very smart, mine can learn commands within a few repetitions, and he can figure out a lot of things for himself. Protectiveness depends on the dog, really, but most GSDs I know of have some protective instinct over their family or territory. I'm sure this is somewhat similar to most Dobermans.

· Banned
102 Posts
I'd like to see what you "trained" a Malamute to do. Those dogs are bred to pull and go forward thats about it. In fact in upper Canada and Alaska if the dog cant pull its weight on the sled or is sick/lame for whatever reason the owners generally shoot them. Sounds rough but sled dogs are working animals.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to see what you "trained" a Malamute to do. Those dogs are bred to pull and go forward thats about it. In fact in upper Canada and Alaska if the dog cant pull its weight on the sled or is sick/lame for whatever reason the owners generally shoot them. Sounds rough but sled dogs are working animals.
dude they arent dumb they are just stubborn as hell

· Bazinga!
4,538 Posts

This is simply not true.

FYI most 'sled' dogs are mixed breeds. Too much coat or too large a dog cannot do the job.

· Banned
102 Posts
I'd go with a Doberman over a German Shepard only because I've never had or been around German Shepards. Cops use them so they must be very trainable.

I like Doberman because they have a protective instinct but aren't the kind of dog that will tear peoples heads off unless trained that way. My personal preference is to "tone down" Doberman through training and make them more of a family pet. This way you still get the bark/growling if someone tries breaking into the house but you don't have to worry about cleaning up people parts in the same situation.

Another thing I like about Doberman is that their temperament and demeanor is fairly consistent. This makes them very easy to train.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd go with a Doberman over a German Shepard only because I've never had or been around German Shepards. Cops use them so they must be very trainable.

I like Doberman because they have a protective instinct but aren't the kind of dog that will tear peoples heads off unless trained that way. My personal preference is to "tone down" Doberman through training and make them more of a family pet. This way you still get the bark/growling if someone tries breaking into the house but you don't have to worry about cleaning up people parts in the same situation.

Another thing I like about Doberman is that their temperament and demeanor is fairly consistent. This makes them very easy to train.
first opinion. thnx. come on people more opinions

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
iv been around a gsd and man are they cool. they just sit in one place and watch. the gsd is trained to protect animals. he hates cats when someone goes meow he jumps up and searches the who perimeter. this dog is my friends dog. tell the dog. search and he will run around the whole house looking for anything suspicous(this was home trained by me and him). is a dobbie capable of that?
:confused:

· Bazinga!
4,538 Posts
Dobermans are family pets. They are not out door dogs. They are highly intelligent, easily trained.
Both breeds are intelligent, and have great drive. It really boils down to personal preference. I myself am not a shepherd fan. I love the look I love the way they work just not my preference in a dog. I do find dobermans take more time and patience. On the whole they are both great breeds with great potential.

· Bazinga!
4,538 Posts

· Just in love with my girl
18 Posts
Trully...One is not better than the other.I always have big &/or strong dogs. My dad had a dobie (Suzie) b4 I was born, & she would drag us back to the property by the nappy, & was taught to take the car keys if you didn't put a belt on. My cousin had a GSD (prince) that we couldn't move once he told him to "stay".

Both are beautiful, robust, loving, playful & loyal breeds. Both can be awful breeds. Both are very loving. Both can be demanding. Pick the one you love but whichever.... time, training & love maketh the dog!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.