Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
socks? i mean the whole thing! i try n keep the kids socks picked up and in the hamper...but the past 2 mornings i have woke up to find a sock that has been *spit back up* i actually saw Tucker eat one yest mornin before i could get it from him..he also CHEWS ON EVERYTHING but his toys! hes 4 months old and teething. I have more trouble out of him gettin into things than my 2 yr old daughter lol :praying:

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I believe at 4 months old, they need to be constantly supervised. If I was not able to supervised my girl, she was in her crate. We had to do this until she was around 9 or 10 months before we started trusting her to be some what un-supervised. Now at one year, we are starting to let her be in the house, by her self, for a short bit without being in her crate. This process has helped out alot, since we have not really had any issues with chewing on stuff that was not hers. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
You have woken up to this? Is he crated at night?

Lexy has eaten socks also, mostly when my husband is home and I am at work. But never at that young was she able to get a hold of anything b/c she was always watched. She's vomited them up and we've also found them in the yard. It's been better since I've switched her diet, don't really know if it has anything to do with it really or not, but she has quit the occasional chewing she did. Now I just come home to find (only) my shoes and dirty laundry in a pile in the living room.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Takira ate my 3 year old daughters socks, both of them. I only knew because I watched her throw them up. For some reason she has thing for socks and dirty laundry, very weird. :)

TD

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
TracyInVa said:
socks? i mean the whole thing! i try n keep the kids socks picked up and in the hamper...but the past 2 mornings i have woke up to find a sock that has been *spit back up* i actually saw Tucker eat one yest mornin before i could get it from him..he also CHEWS ON EVERYTHING but his toys! hes 4 months old and teething. I have more trouble out of him gettin into things than my 2 yr old daughter lol :praying:
Many Dobermans have had to have surgery due to eating socks and other items obviously. Socks are a fav for them for some reason. You are lucky they came back up. I agree to crate unless your full attention can be given because I know with kids it is virtually impossible to not have anything laying around that could be eaten.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm thankful that Ava has no interest in socks because I've seen too many dogs go through surgery to remove a forgien body. Often times these dogs are repeat offenders. In fact, this week we had a Boxer who was opened up for eating a sock for the THRID time in FOUR months.

I agree with everyone else.... If you can't keep an eye on him, he needs to be in a crate!

·
Registered
232 Posts
TracyInVa said:

she chews on them, shes teething, but she will chew on anything, magazines, shoes, cups, hands, her own feet, nail files(the little plastic ones)

anythign thatll fit in those jaws

she swallows **** too, like she got a tampon(used) lmao, out of the bathroom garbage and i found her trying to poop it out the next day, it was hanging by a thread, and it was all bloody....ya sorry, gross i know:eatchicke

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Wow, You need to get a handle on this ASAP! As many have said it can be quite dangerous. When my dogs were little and teething.. I had bones everywhere for them to chew on.. My yard looked like a grave yard had been dug up there were so many bones. I got them lots of toys also. I feel that the more things they have to chew on the less they will chew on my things.
Now also try this. take one or two of the socks and spray it with bitter apple or soak it in some hot sauce, let the dogs have it while you are there to watch.. Hopefully the bad taste will stop the dog. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Please listen to the advice crate and watch. The surgery is real and exspensive , thats if your lucky enough to get the dog there in time with the sock twisted around it's intestines. Another thing to watch for is icicles on the christmas tree. That cost my friend $2,000.00 at the vet.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
frznbuns said:
Wow, You need to get a handle on this ASAP! As many have said it can be quite dangerous. When my dogs were little and teething.. I had bones everywhere for them to chew on.. My yard looked like a grave yard had been dug up there were so many bones. I got them lots of toys also. I feel that the more things they have to chew on the less they will chew on my things.

Your right it is quite dangerous, however, I need to interject, the more things a dog has to chew on, especially a puppy, the harder time he will have distinguishing "his" stuff from "your" stuff. The should always have a few toys and something on hand that is a great chew for them without a doubt, but to be on the safe side (while it may have worked for Frznbuns, but it is just a good rule of thumb) Tracyinva, limit the amount of toys available, if you or your husband aren't looking right over him, crate him. And encourage him when you see him get interested in "your" things to get excited over "his" things instead.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh nice subject, Sasha my darling girl who is now 6 1/2 months old has decided my clothes are there for her eating pleasure. she ate a 5 inch hole in one of my favorite sweatshirts this weekend in a matter of 2 mins!!!!!

this just started so she is now back to the crate when i cant see her

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also have a sock problem with Loki. Sometimes I don't even know he has eaten one till he poops it out. We have a crate and he is supervised when he's out, but somehow he still gets them. And oh my god, q-tips. Loki loves q-tips. He seeks them out, in the bathroom, in the trash. Right now, we are battling Loki with grabbing stuff and running. Whenever he is bored, he grabs something and takes off, just to be chased. He never chewed on wood or shoes, but for some reason he can't resist a sock or a freakin q-tip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts