Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the Cesar Millan's program. He was asking his client that whether she trusts her dog (not a doberman). I was asking myself too:
In many ways I trust her. Friendliness to humans & other dogs, never felt I was scared or bit by her. While I'm out, Elza can walk freely most of the areas within my home. Since her 10 mth old, she never touches anything except hers. Every article is there as it is I left home. That's why I don't crate her when I'm out. Yes, a big trust on her:)

Unlike her dog on TV program, Elza is not aggressive at all, rather a bit timid.
OK, this is the one I can't trust her.
She's not a protective type. If she sees or hears something unfamiliar, yesterday it was a roar of wind, she tries to run away meaning she leaves ME:screama:
I'm hoping that she comes closer or at least hides behind me, not leaves me!!
Or, maybe SHE doesn't trust me!?
I'm still checking out to establish a good relationship with Elza.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
110% YES:
AMY has always been trusted...and had free rain in the home, since 8 week old puppy, with someone around.
- no baby gates...no house proofing needed
- no use of crate, with family member present
- gets to sleep on the furniture whenever she feels like it...no permission needed
- 2 boxes of toys (including stuffies) never put away, some toys several years old
- she respects all of our human stuff
Left alone unsupervised & uncrated since 4.5 months old.
Never growled at a family member...never run away.
Plus, automatically protected my wife from a larger dog attack.

If Elza is scared of the wind and will not come on recall or chooses to run away.
- need more play time bonding and training...simple exercise is NOT enough, without more learning

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I trust my dog because I know my dog, and I know how he will react to different things. This doesn't mean I trust or expect him to do everything; I don't trust him to protect me. I know he is not a protective dog in the least, and would rather save his own ass (luckily it wasn't a threat, but Niz has bolted, left SO for dead, and peered around the corner of the building to see if what's going on when he thought it was a threatening person).

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I trust Odin and him me, there are a few times that Odin has followed me into something that I think other dogs wouldn't. First example is when I ran into the ocean and Odin has never been near it and he followed me in without hesitation. Waves and everything, I held him and he was nice and calm.

Another example is when he is unsure of something he will come to me and look at me and just sit next to me. I watch Odin like a hawk while we are in the dog park and if there is a dog that he is finding annoying and wants to get away from he just comes to me and under my legs until the dog goes away or the both of us just go somewhere else.

anytime he has showed fear or was unsure of something I always addressed it right away.

I am always trying to be aware of how feel when it comes to Odin and I being somewhere. He needs to know that I will always be calm and collected, and not freak out if something bad happens. In turn I think he can trust me and come to me if anything bad happens.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I have complete and absolute trust in my dobermans, more importantly they have complete and absolute trust in me.

As long as I don't do a raspberry on Swilly's tummy.....because then she will break my nose. Verboten.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm encouraged that everyone trusts your dogs. What I lack myself is confidence, trust and training. Basically she's so easy to live with;)

110% YES:
AMY has always been trusted...

If Elza is scared of the wind and will not come on recall or chooses to run away.
- need more play time bonding and training...simple exercise is NOT enough, without more learning
I'll do my best:nicejob: She's easy to freak out, but comes back at the end.

I don't trust him to protect me. I know he is not a protective dog in the least, and would rather save his own ass (luckily it wasn't a threat, but Niz has bolted, left SO for dead, and peered around the corner of the building to see if what's going on when he thought it was a threatening person).
She's like that too. Non-doberman owners expect that the doberman should be, though. Well, not her case.

Another example is when he is unsure of something he will come to me and look at me and just sit next to me. I watch Odin like a hawk while we are in the dog park and if there is a dog that he is finding annoying and wants to get away from he just comes to me and under my legs until the dog goes away or the both of us just go somewhere else.

anytime he has showed fear or was unsure of something I always addressed it right away.

I am always trying to be aware of how feel when it comes to Odin and I being somewhere. He needs to know that I will always be calm and collected, and not freak out if something bad happens. In turn I think he can trust me and come to me if anything bad happens.
That's what I'm hoping! Great relationship between you and Odin!!
I'm not a freak out type so I was ready to calm her down, but something lacks. It's going to be my next mission to find the missing piece!

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Good Lord no, paper towels will never be safe as long as my doberman is around, or socks for that matter. I don't think he will ever be trusted as far as eating things he shouldn't, until the day he dies.

I guarantee he would protect me and my children except for from my husband who I've tried to get Jordan to go after when he bugs me, oh well, minor flaw.

And, as much as people say never trust them (or any dog) with children, I have always trusted my dobermans with my children to a certain extent. Until my children got older I've always supervised them anyway, dog or not, but I do trust my dogs with my children and have trusted a visiting doberman with my children (even having my son get him out of the crate when I wasn't home). I feel like I know my dogs and I have seen this other dog's interaction with my son and knew he respected him and there is a bond. I just cannot see, in good health and mental soundness, my dogs ever harming my children.

So, yes and no. Kind of a vague question so I don't know if I my answer is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Elzajpn - I am not suggestion what the titles implies...in your case (while certain dog problem have similar solutions).
Since normal care and daily activity with a dog can be divided into different levels of importance / refer to the link below:
[example a) b) c) d) e)...starting @ post #10 ---------> may assist you evaluate your dobes NEEDS more clearly, for developing an action specific plan]
- taking on or spending added time on those tasks that offer the biggest change in a pets development, may bring new results in the quickest time
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/64043-i-think-my-puppy-hates-me.html

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My friend is living with us for a while and sleeps on an air mattress, one day Odin and my friend were laying on his bed and out of no where a whole was created and the bed let out a whistle noise and a whole bunch of air blew in his face.

He jumped off and ran away, I didn't go over to him and coo him. I did reassure him that he was okay. Odin has an air dog bed so I blew it up and put it down, and right away didn't want to go near it. So what I did was get on it and showed him that nothing happened and then I grabbed some treats and started to get him to get near it and when he did I treated him. Then when he would put a paw on I would treat again, and then two. Finally I put a bunch of treats in the middle and he got all the way on and I praised

Then I found out he was afraid of someone blowing in his face, so I got him to trust be blowing in his face by putting something that would smell good to him like a piece of steak then softly blow in his face and when he didn't run away I would give him a treat. I would increase the amount of how much air I would blow his way until I was able to blow a lot towards his way without coaxing him with smell.

I have also gotten him to trust not only me but my friend that lives with us and my SO. Odin can be picked up in every what way and he will stay relaxed the whole time without wiggling, he knows that we wont let him fall.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I trust him as much as I'm willing to trust an animal. Not to say he's not a super great dog who has never done anything to make me say otherwise he is still an animal. Just to shed some more light on this I will say I trust him more than most humans.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Well, I trust Lucky and Ilka to be dogs, and thus act like dogs. Does that count?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I trust tanner, with my self and my family, the only problem we have ever ran into is trusting other peoples dogs. therefor she doesn't get as much free rein as she deserves when we are out. But I have quickly found even though a pom is hanging off the dobes ear it will ALWAYS be the dobes fault in people eyes... Except here thats why I love DT

·
Frisbee Killer
79 Posts
I trust Lars with every aspect of trust possible. I know if it came down to protecting myself and family he would with no hesitation. He is the best dog ive ever been around hands down.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I trust Charley Girl completely. The pup is still growing. I think I trust Joe but he's never been even slightly tested. Charley puts herself between me and something/someone she perceives as danger.

When we are outside and the weather turns stormy with thunder, mine are pretty uncomfortable and want to come inside where they can't hear the noise.

As far as trusting them to be left alone and have full access to the house Joe and Charley Girl have full run. Taylor absolutely not.

I believe your girl needs some time and possibly to be socialized more. Do you take her with you every place you can such as on a leash walking down strip malls, to the park, to hardware stores, etc.?

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I trust my dogs, its something you have to do in order to own dogs. And they trust me just as much.

Reactions: Elzajpn

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I trust Kyrah would stay by my side in most situations. When she doesnt know what to do she looks to me for guadiance.

It is people & other animals I dont trust. If they would respect a personal space bubble Kyrah would have no problems. But if that idiot yapper dog is running at us she may bolt. Then we have the person/s who think that they can just run up to us and stick their hands into her face.

She is trusted around the house. The one funny thing she does is sometimes when we are home she will dig in the trash can. (I know shut the lid) She doesnt dump it just pulls out one or two things or licks whats on top. The funny part is that even if I just put it back in and dont shut the lid and leave the house she wont touch it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts