Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoisebreaking my 5 mo. old has been going really well, then out of nowhere, he pees on the sofa right in front of me! A0 What should I do here if I catch him in the act? and B) Should I even be letting on the sofa at all? Thanks!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Very rarely, and only when invited. Peeing on my sofa would lose my trust and my dog would not be allowed on the sofa again. That happened with my bed and the line was drawn. I enjoy having my dog with me on my lap, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my heirloom furniture to the cause. If caught in the act I give a sharp "No!", then show him the bell on the door which is how he signals he needs to go outside and take him out to finish.

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
If he's just started this, have you taken him to the vet to rule out a UTI?

Personally, I don't really like my dogs on the furniture, but my Rattie is on the bed during the day, but he's not allowed to sleep with us. He has his own bed for that. Ilka doesn't get on the furniture much, I've only seen her on the bed a few times.

My old dog, Gin, used to get on the couch, even though she wasn't allowed to. As soon as she heard the car pull up, though, she would get off. I mean, hey, if I didnt SEE her on the couch, she hadn't actually BEEN on the couch. As for all those brown dog hairs woven into the upholstery, well, she had no idea how they got there. :)

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
me neither.....NEVER!

Intact or not has nothing to do with a 5 month old peeing on the sofa. Honestly he could have had a brain fart. Maybe he just messed up, had too much urine in him to hold. If he does it again then something could be going on, but until he does it again I'd treat it like an isolated incident.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'd bet it was just an accident at his age, or he's not totally house broken and thought maybe it was ok. It takes puppies a while to totally grasp the concept of never using the house as a bathroom ever.

As to the question, no, my dogs are not allowed on the furniture. I don't want the couches smelling doggy, and my mom and I are slightly allergic to them, and all those prickly hairs they leave behind give us itchy hives. They have comfy beds on the floor that they're fine with using - they don't know any different. Dance is allowed on the couches when invited only, but she's smaller and her coat is different. But she's never allowed just on her own.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Never before Wheeler. When Wheeler got here initially he wasn't allowed on the furniture, but he looked so sad and our furniture was so old, I just put a cover on the couch and gave it to him. Hubby and I never sat there anyway.

I just got new furniture and have replaced Wheeler's couch with a TemperPedic Memory Foam bed, just like he has in the bedroom. But still at every opportunity he is on the couch. So now my new furniture is covered with scat mats. LOL! I still don't think my husband has seen it without the scat mats.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
LOL

Not only are mine allowed on the furniture...they dictate what furniture I have! :D

I just bought a new sectional so all of us could fit more easily than on the old sofa and loveseat combo. And I'm currently shopping for king size beds because the queen size bed is just not cutting it with 2 adult humans and 2 adult Dobermans.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
At that young age Kyrah had an accident in my bed. :( Yes, Cujo was 6yrs old and I had forgotten how puppies can have them. Hubby didnt want her on the couch. :( I had her a special bed/couch made that fit right up to the edge of the couch so I could still snuggle with her. Then as she got older and stole her daddy's heart she was allowed on the couch and able to join the terriers. They are only allowed on our bed by invitation. Tippy sleeps with us at night and the other two each have their own kennel/beds next to the bed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
LOL

Not only are mine allowed on the furniture...they dictate what furniture I have! :D

I just bought a new sectional so all of us could fit more easily than on the old sofa and loveseat combo. And I'm currently shopping for king size beds because the queen size bed is just not cutting it with 2 adult humans and 2 adult Dobermans.
This! The dogs give me whatever is left of THEIR couch and the bed. :roflmao:

We're also in the market for a king-size bed. We had two bed accidents, so as a safe guard we bought one of those bedwetter matress pads, and her favorite spot on the couch is covered with a washable pee pad that they use for old people :nicejob: She doesn't have accidents in the house anymore though, so I guess they're just precautionary.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Nope, they're not allowed up there ever....and it's a rule that has really stuck ;)

I also agree with the others that with his age it was probably an accident, step up the potty training and frequency of taking him out and watch him closer when it comes to furniture, or if you want give him his own bed or protected chair/couch section to safely have.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Oh yes. Diesel is allowed on whatever :) like many have said he decides what I get to sit on. Most of the time he just wants me to sit down so he can sit on me. It's his house too so I figure he should be allowed to enjoy the furniture on it.

When he was really little I'd keep a blanket on the couch just incase he had an accident do it wouldn't get on the couch but luckily diesel was potty trained in about a week so he never did go on the couch.

·
Premium Member
8,431 Posts
I have leather furniture in the family room so no to not being allowed on the furniture. In the living room it is the same ans. as it would only confuse. All my dogs have slept with me so yes to being allowed on the bed.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Seeing that I bought all my leather furniture for the dogs.... Yes
I bought the king sized bed for the dogs, so we'd all have room....Yes
I bough my X Terra so the dogs could all fit and I bought this new house last year, so Lily wouldn't have to do stairs......I'm a nut job.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Duke is a real cuddle bug and I'm constantly tempted to bring him on the couch with me. But the hubby says no, and he's the ultimate Alpha in our pact.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Our dogs are allowed on 1 chair in our house, we just got new furniture and I am not ready to lose it yet hahaha

That being said when we come home and our cream couch has large black and brown spots of hair, it convinces me they only pretend i'm the boss.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts