Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just let me say first, that Reba is an excellant swimmer and she knows how to get in and out of our pool. She hates the pool though, and will not ever go in on her own. (She's more of an ocean kinda girl)

So, today I was outside and the phone rang and I went in to answer it. When I came back outside, one of our shade umbrellas had blown into the pool and had sunk to the bottom. With the sun reflection and pool ripple, it at first glance looked to me like Reba was lying at the bottom of our pool! {{ my heart stopped! }}

So I ran over, ready to jump in and start CPR on her and when I got close I could see it was just the umbrella and I then found Reba asleep on her bed in the house.:)

Anyway, it made me think how many owners know the correct method to do CPR on their pets? I do know how, but this experience prompted me to go back and look it up to see if I would have done it correctly if I ever had to do it.

Here is a video that shows the correct technique in case anyone wants to learn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few months back, I walked outside and saw my neighbor giving his dog CPR. I remember how long those minutes were... and I especially remember the tears on his face after he gave up. That stuck with me.

I remember being surprised at the method my neighbor was using. So I got on youtube and found, watched, and shared that exact video with my friends and fam. Very good and lifesaving video. Suggest all watch and learn.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
with adult humans..........apply about 80 pounds of pressue with your chest compressions.

with dogs.........".For small dogs 16 pounds or less, the thumb and forefinger can be used to compress both sides of the chest. For larger dogs, use a palm over hand method for compressions. The chest should be compressed about 1.5 inches down on each compression." How to Perform CPR on a Dog - Dog First Aid

to practise chest compression pressure........push down on a bathroom scale till you get to the poundage you want to compress.............

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
with adult humans..........apply about 80 pounds of pressue with your chest compressions.

with dogs.........".For small dogs 16 pounds or less, the thumb and forefinger can be used to compress both sides of the chest. For larger dogs, use a palm over hand method for compressions. The chest should be compressed about 1.5 inches down on each compression." How to Perform CPR on a Dog - Dog First Aid

to practise chest compression pressure........push down on a bathroom scale till you get to the poundage you want to compress.............
Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts