Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, per the recommendations on this board, I got the kids signed up for pet insurance today (through Embrace). I was very pleased with the conversation I had with them, I basically listed every sniffle, incident, and almost-incident that the dogs have had and nothing constituted a pre-existing condition. Happy about that!

But it got me thinking - when I had horses insured I insured them for value (mortality) in addition to the medical/surgical - actually, I think most of the horse ins policies require that you do mortality before you can add MM/S as a rider.

Do any of you have your (show or otherwise valuable) dogs insured in the event of mortality?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I'm thinking about insuring Alfred.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I, personally, have not heard of many show dogs insured for value, like many horses are. I'd be interested to hear if this is more common in a breed like Dobermans. We own/bred a young border terrier male who just won our national specialty in September, went BOB at Montgomery County Terrier Show (second in prestige to the national) a few weeks later, won Best in Sweeps at last year's national, and is a group winner, and he is not insured. I am curious to see how others contribute to this thread to see if insuring dogs is something I've missed out on and if we should have a dog like this insured!! We recently sent him to Florida to be shown, and we're nervous as all get out that something will happen to him while he's gone. The only thing we did before sending him to the handler was collect him a couple of times in the event of something horrible! A good friend paid to have him collected for herself, as well...just in case!!

Horses are much easier to assign a set 'value' to than dogs. I wonder how you would go about calculating value. Potential revenue from said dog? If a dog's stud fee is $1000, would one multiply that out over a projected breeding career? Although horses are beloved family members to many, I think horses are many times seen in a very different light than dogs, when it comes to value.

Interesting thread!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm taking this to mean pretty much no one does this! ha, ha.
Sorry, don't have any insight on possibly insuring a show dog.

But just wanted to mention in case you were not aware, the Forum was pretty much shutdown for several days over the new year holiday weekend, and folks could not reply to threads during that time. Now that it is up again, maybe you will get some more responses to your question. :)

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts