Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM BLESSED BEYOND DOBERMAN! He is breeding albinos and does not do holter or echoes. My husband and I were initially going to get a dog from Todd, but then he told us she had been exposed the parvo. We lost our deposit but learned a whole lot about backyard breeders.
Oh yes, that was another recent development. A woman called me about a month or so ago with a puppy from them that had parvo and died. And I doubt he will clean his yard and wait long enough, you need a cold winter and about a year to even THINK about getting rid of parvo, to ever have healthy puppies again. Although sad to lose so many puppies, maybe this will help get him out of the "business".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
From my understanding, he had bred one of his males to a bitch that a friend owns. The puppies were at the friend's house, and that’s where they were exposed to parvo. It was heartbreaking to find out that the puppy I had been starring at for over a month was not going to be mine. Plus he told me on 7/21 and we were set to pick her up on 7/27, so it was very last minute. In the long run it happened for a reason, and I've learned a huge lesson.
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm so sorry that happened and can't even imagine the heartbreak you went through. He was trying to sell me on a pup a friend of his had, which was already a little strange to me. He had been great with replying and answering questions until after I placed the deposit. When requesting health tests from the dam and sire of a litter I was supposed to get a pup from, he would no longer respond. As unfortunate as it is, it looks like we both dodged a bullet and a whole lot of future health issues here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
When I first heard of them, I looked at their site and seeing an albino as one of their dogs that they are breeding was an instant no. As others have said, I also questioned their “health documentation”. Personally, I got the feeling of some photoshopped documents but that was my gut feeling. Their pricing is also beyond ridiculous.

Also, I’m a part of some Doberman Facebook groups for my area and reading some others’ experiences just solidified that feeling of “hard no”.

And yeah, I wouldn’t use AKC marketplace for looking for a breeder. Check out the DPCA instead and check out some shows. I randomly went up to some lady at a local show and learned a lot and met some awesome people.
Thank you so much for your response. After trying to receive health documentation from him, he wouldn't reply or produce the documents I requested (but he claimed he had). Up until we placed the deposit, he was helpful, but really faded after. It appears he is breeding many more litters than he claims or shows on his website, essentially having a litter every month. I was COMPLETELY unaware of this, as they appear to list all their dams on the website. Additionally, each time I contacted him asking for an update, he would send photos of a new litter. This was usually about a month before I was told the litter was expected. After I realized he was dodging a lot of my questions after, I figured this wouldn't work out.
Thanks for mentioning the DPCA! I had mostly been looking around the AKC website and UDC. Also, I deleted FB awhile ago, but looks like it may be about time I get it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh yes, that was another recent development. A woman called me about a month or so ago with a puppy from them that had parvo and died. And I doubt he will clean his yard and wait long enough, you need a cold winter and about a year to even THINK about getting rid of parvo, to ever have healthy puppies again. Although sad to lose so many puppies, maybe this will help get him out of the "business".
Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. It's weird because he has great reviews most places that are public (Google reviews, FB). Unfortunately, it took me coming on here to get any real info on him or his dogs. These responses have been so helpful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm so sorry that happened and can't even imagine the heartbreak you went through. He was trying to sell me on a pup a friend of his had, which was already a little strange to me. He had been great with replying and answering questions until after I placed the deposit. When requesting health tests from the dam and sire of a litter I was supposed to get a pup from, he would no longer respond. As unfortunate as it is, it looks like we both dodged a bullet and a whole lot of future health issues here.
The same thing happened to me. He offered me a female from a friend in Texas (NWR Kennels), but the sire was albino, and the dam had a weird hip structure, so we turned her down. He then offered me a female from a second litter and when I asked for the parents echo/holter results, he said he send them and then never got back to me.This was what finally made us decide to just forfeit the deposit and walk away from what was clearly a backyard breeder border line puppy mill. Hopefully we both end up with a healthy pup to add to the mix!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The same thing happened to me. He offered me a female from a friend in Texas (NWR Kennels), but the sire was albino, and the dam had a weird hip structure, so we turned her down. He then offered me a female from a second litter and when I asked for the parents echo/holter results, he said he send them and then never got back to me.This was what finally made us decide to just forfeit the deposit and walk away from what was clearly a backyard breeder border line puppy mill. Hopefully we both end up with a healthy pup to add to the mix!
He wouldn't even send pictures of the parents when asked for half of his OWN litters when I asked. I definitely started to feel that something weird was going on. Considering he never produced any health documents I ever asked for, I'm not surprised to hear that he he never responded. I'm so sorry you went through such a situation. I'm excited to see a wonderful pup in the future for both of us!

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
Try Angie Tucker in Lee Summit MO. Near KC. Has a large well bred litter now. Puppies cropped. Parents health tested. A reputable breeder. Zane Dobermans
Good to see you here on DT, Jana!

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Future first time doberman owner and first time posting here, so I apologize if this post isn't in the right place. I've been doing some research on good breeders nearby and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with J Bar S Dobermans (Missouri) or Blessed Beyond Dobermans (CO Springs). I've been in contact with both, but am now feeling less than enthused by BBD after already placing a deposit on a puppy a bit ago. I've seen mixed reviews on J Bar S Dobermans, mostly older replies on here. When talking with Suzan, she was both knowledgable and happy to answer any question I had. I felt she would be a good fit, but somewhat second guessed myself after coming on here. Any input is much appreciated and I'd love to see pictures if anyone has a pup from either breeder! Thanks everyone!
This is Not true at all like the customer mention the pups came from one of my breeding partners and I haven’t produced any pups with parvo. I was unaware that pups had parvo and I did help the customers out in return. If a customer never got their deposit back is only cuz they backed out without telling me. I run my breeding business clean and honest . We do health test our dogs and put in a lot to maintain healthy parents. But please understand that I take pride in my dogs and pups they are like my kids. Like mention earlier I have tons of reviews and happy customers that will back me up. But please if u have a concern feel free to call me
Thanks again, and have a Blessed Day
Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Between the lack of health testing or any other info about their dogs, charging extra for full registration (seriously, an extra $1000 for full registration on a Euro-line puppy?!), as well as charging an extra $900 for ear cropping, Blessed Beyond is a breeder I probably wouldn't be interested in.

As far as the extra $95 for a microchip, a quick consult with the Google shows they are marking up the cost over 100%.... You can buy an unregistered chip yourself for under $10, and register it for another $20, or buy a single preregistered chip for $40 (depending on where you are shopping). My puppy's microchip was included in his purchase price, not as an added, tacked on expense.
You guys are to funny why don’t u come down and I’ll take u to my vet. And everything is an option for customer to have us perform.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
First and foremost they aren’t Albino. They are cream n white. Are just as healthy as any other color there is. So please do ur research
Science disagrees, friendo.

I see you're the breeder, so I don't expect you to bother reading any of this...but in Dobermans there's no such thing as "cream n white." Simply doesn't exist, as proven by genetics research.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Science disagrees, friendo.

I see you're the breeder, so I don't expect you to bother reading any of this...but in Dobermans there's no such thing as "cream n white." Simply doesn't exist, as proven by genetics research.
Albino doberman’s are marked by having a z factor gene, correct? Their AKC registration numbers even contain the letter ‘z.’ I had initially placed a deposit with BBD and wanted a melanistic black pup, this was before I learned what genetically caused this color variation. He, Todd, acknowledged that the solid or melanistic dobermans were only possible because of a z factor gene. Blessed Beyond Doberman is a backyard puppy mill posing as a ethical breeder, apparently he’s even deluded himself into thinking he’s breeding dogs worth $4000!

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
Albino doberman’s are marked by having a z factor gene, correct? Their AKC registration numbers even contain the letter ‘z.’ I had initially placed a deposit with BBD and wanted a melanistic black pup, this was before I learned what genetically caused this color variation. He, Todd, acknowledged that the solid or melanistic dobermans were only possible because of a z factor gene. Blessed Beyond Doberman is a backyard puppy mill posing as a ethical breeder, apparently he’s even deluded himself into thinking he’s breeding dogs worth $4000!
Actually there is no such thing as a Z factor gene. The Z on an albino's registration is there because there needed to be a way to mark all of the descendants of Padula's Queen Shebah (WE166747)--The first "known" albino--and that marking wasn't immediately used so there is a list of all descendants of Shebah (called the white list) which was maintained by the DPCA prior to the time that the AKC agreed to use the Z designation for dogs who traced back to Shebah.

The so-called Z factor and Z factor gene are just shortcut ways of identifying dogs who might carry the gene. At that time there was not genetic test for oculocutaneous albinism (the type of albinism found in Dobermans--it's why they have blue eyes not pink eyes--and yes it's the same type of albinism found in mostly nordic types--Scandinavians (-Swedes, Norwegians, Finns etc) in people characterized by blue eyes, very fair skin and very light blond hair.

In 2013 the first gene test for that albino gene was publically offered. There was an attempt made to have the AKC not use the Z designation on dogs who were gene tested and found to not be carrying a copy of the gene. It went nowhere--maybe at some point the DPCA will try again.

The Z ONLY DESIGNATES THE GENE FOR ALBINISM IN THE DOBERMAN. Melanism has a pretty different cause but there is really not any such thing as a "z factor gene". Melanism is caused by a failure of the marking gene in the Doberman to maintain clear margins and color caused by the marking gene. I haven't looked it up in years but I think it is still regarded as a failure of that part of the coat color genetics.

And going back to the contention that the Z registered Dobermans are not albino but are cream and white--talk to any geneticist and you'll find that the "cream and white" is exactly what an albino Doberman is --the coat color and marking color are controlled by different sets of genes but the gene that produces oculocutaneous albinism affects both sets of genes--two of the genes in the dog turn the marking color refrigerator white. The coat color itself is less affected--and can be anything from cream to a dirty sort of sand color.

You will never convince breeders of albinos that the dogs they breed are in fact albino.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
6,961 Posts
Uh.. Todd. There's no way that you are going to convince a bunch of folks who live and breathe Dobermans that a "cream and white" Doberman is not albino. Kind of like your not going convince a bunch of Blues fanatics that Johnny Winter is "cream and white" LOL...

Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo baby!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to say: Darn bug! We can't "convince" them AND they can't "convince" us.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually there is no such thing as a Z factor gene. The Z on an albino's registration is there because there needed to be a way to mark all of the descendants of Padula's Queen Shebah (WE166747)--The first "known" albino--and that marking wasn't immediately used so there is a list of all descendants of Shebah (called the white list) which was maintained by the DPCA prior to the time that the AKC agreed to use the Z designation for dogs who traced back to Shebah.

The so-called Z factor and Z factor gene are just shortcut ways of identifying dogs who might carry the gene. At that time there was not genetic test for oculocutaneous albinism (the type of albinism found in Dobermans--it's why they have blue eyes not pink eyes--and yes it's the same type of albinism found in mostly nordic types--Scandinavians (-Swedes, Norwegians, Finns etc) in people characterized by blue eyes, very fair skin and very light blond hair.

In 2013 the first gene test for that albino gene was publically offered. There was an attempt made to have the AKC not use the Z designation on dogs who were gene tested and found to not be carrying a copy of the gene. It went nowhere--maybe at some point the DPCA will try again.

The Z ONLY DESIGNATES THE GENE FOR ALBINISM IN THE DOBERMAN. Melanism has a pretty different cause but there is really not any such thing as a "z factor gene". Melanism is caused by a failure of the marking gene in the Doberman to maintain clear margins and color caused by the marking gene. I haven't looked it up in years but I think it is still regarded as a failure of that part of the coat color genetics.

And going back to the contention that the Z registered Dobermans are not albino but are cream and white--talk to any geneticist and you'll find that the "cream and white" is exactly what an albino Doberman is --the coat color and marking color are controlled by different sets of genes but the gene that produces oculocutaneous albinism affects both sets of genes--two of the genes in the dog turn the marking color refrigerator white. The coat color itself is less affected--and can be anything from cream to a dirty sort of sand color.

You will never convince breeders of albinos that the dogs they breed are in fact albino.

dobebug
My bad, I thought that z factor was synonymous with the albino gene. Sort of like a shorthand way of marking the dog as a carrier. I spoke with a geneticist and he explained that the primarily melanistic coloring would have to come from dogs with an albino ancestor because it is what allows for complete dominance of the primary color opposed to having co-dominance which creates the markings.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,056 Posts
Uh.. Todd. There's no way that you are going to convince a bunch of folks who live and breathe Dobermans that a "cream and white" Doberman is not albino. Kind of like your not going convince a bunch of Blues fanatics that Johnny Winter is "cream and white" LOL...

Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo baby!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Edit to say: Darn bug! We can't "convince" them AND they can't "convince" us.
Edgar, as well. Both of them from right here in Beaumont, TX.

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
In case it wasn't clear, LMichelle - "Z Factor" was used prior to the discovery of the albino gene to designate dogs that were descendants of the dogs in the original line of the first albino dog, because there was no test for the actual albino gene. That was how the DPCA tracked all dogs from those lines, because that was the only way to know which dogs were being bred from dogs that could produce albinism.

In 2013, researchers at Michigan State University identified the gene responsible for albinism in Dobermans, and a commercial test is available. Any Doberman can be tested to see if they carry the gene - it's simple and easy, and there's no question that they are albino, and that it's simple genetics. You can read more here about the discovery: Man's best friend shares similar 'albino' gene. There are multiple places a dog can be tested. You'll find that some ethical breeders now listed that test amongst their testing results, because we do know that there were albino Dobermans prior to the "first" tracked albino, Sheba, so it could certainly pop up outside the Z list.

Here's some information on albinos on the DPCA page, and more can be found there, too: About Albino Dobermans -

21 - 40 of 45 Posts