Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Future first time doberman owner and first time posting here, so I apologize if this post isn't in the right place. I've been doing some research on good breeders nearby and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with J Bar S Dobermans (Missouri) or Blessed Beyond Dobermans (CO Springs). I've been in contact with both, but am now feeling less than enthused by BBD after already placing a deposit on a puppy a bit ago. I've seen mixed reviews on J Bar S Dobermans, mostly older replies on here. When talking with Suzan, she was both knowledgable and happy to answer any question I had. I felt she would be a good fit, but somewhat second guessed myself after coming on here. Any input is much appreciated and I'd love to see pictures if anyone has a pup from either breeder! Thanks everyone!

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,071 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Between the lack of health testing or any other info about their dogs, charging extra for full registration (seriously, an extra $1000 for full registration on a Euro-line puppy?!), as well as charging an extra $900 for ear cropping, Blessed Beyond is a breeder I probably wouldn't be interested in.

As far as the extra $95 for a microchip, a quick consult with the Google shows they are marking up the cost over 100%.... You can buy an unregistered chip yourself for under $10, and register it for another $20, or buy a single preregistered chip for $40 (depending on where you are shopping). My puppy's microchip was included in his purchase price, not as an added, tacked on expense.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
I would avoid Blessed--see Rosemary's post--I see nothing to recommend them.

J Bar S--depends on what you want the dog for. I always start with looking for a show prospect and while J Bar S shows their dogs the ones they produce that are shown (and should be shown) are pretty hit or miss but for a companion that you could do some performance stuff with or go hiking with they'd be OK. They do heath test so that's a plus and seem to be pretty reasonable these days.

dobebug

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Blessed Beyond produces albinos. RUN AWAY from this person.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I know Blessed Beyond because I live in Denver.

They are a puppy mill, he's literally a used car salesman and sells his puppies in the same manner. This year alone we've had 3 of his puppies come into rescue. He himself tried to turn a few in a couple of years back. His dobes are "meh" at best, looks wise. I have no idea where he takes his puppies to get cropped but the crops are HORRID, so bad, so so bad. and $900?!? The two best croppers in the state charge $450 and $600. He does zero health testing except maybe DNA which is nearly worthless. To top it off he charges nearly what I charge for Well bred, titled front and back, fully health tested to the max parents!!!

As far as J Bar S goes you can message me on here and we can talk.

Where did you find these two breeders btw and where are you located?

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,071 Posts
Blessed Beyond produces albinos. RUN AWAY from this person.
I somehow missed that when I looked at their website. Anyone breeding albinos is a hard "NO" for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to DT.

Between the lack of health testing or any other info about their dogs, charging extra for full registration (seriously, an extra $1000 for full registration on a Euro-line puppy?!), as well as charging an extra $900 for ear cropping, Blessed Beyond is a breeder I probably wouldn't be interested in.

As far as the extra $95 for a microchip, a quick consult with the Google shows they are marking up the cost over 100%.... You can buy an unregistered chip yourself for under $10, and register it for another $20, or buy a single preregistered chip for $40 (depending on where you are shopping). My puppy's microchip was included in his purchase price, not as an added, tacked on expense.
Hi Rosemary,
I had planned to visit Dr Mona Fasth to do the ears, since I definitely found $900 to be outrageous. I can't thank you (and everyone else) enough for your input. I will not be moving forward with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would avoid Blessed--see Rosemary's post--I see nothing to recommend them.

J Bar S--depends on what you want the dog for. I always start with looking for a show prospect and while J Bar S shows their dogs the ones they produce that are shown (and should be shown) are pretty hit or miss but for a companion that you could do some performance stuff with or go hiking with they'd be OK. They do heath test so that's a plus and seem to be pretty reasonable these days.

dobebug
Hi dobebug,
Thankss for replying! Since I am not necessarily looking to show my dog in confirmation, I wasn't/am not super familiar with what to look for in a show dog. I am mostly looking for a companion, but possibly to compete in obedience. The health testing was what caught my eye. She seemed to know her stuff, but I was thrown by some questionable comments I've seen here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

They are a puppy mill, he's literally a used car salesman and sells his puppies in the same manner. This year alone we've had 3 of his puppies come into rescue. He himself tried to turn a few in a couple of years back. His dobes are "meh" at best, looks wise. I have no idea where he takes his puppies to get cropped but the crops are HORRID, so bad, so so bad. and $900?!? The two best croppers in the state charge $450 and $600. He does zero health testing except maybe DNA which is nearly worthless. To top it off he charges nearly what I charge for Well bred, titled front and back, fully health tested to the max parents!!!

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. This was all completely new info to me, as I couldn't find much info about them. I'm located in Northern Colorado, but am around the Kansas City area pretty often. I sent you a message!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Colorado Springs and Beyond Blessed or whatever they are is......well, quoting the show Letterkenny, "Hard No."
Thanks for your response! Could you elaborate a bit? What are the reasons you say that? Obviously I've heard enough that I will not be going through with them, but just interested to hear your opinion...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Oops, I forgot to mention that I found BBD on the AKC website here: Blessed Beyond Dobermans - Doberman Pinscher Puppies For Sale - Born on 06/16/2021
I found J Bar S on the United Doberman Club:

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,071 Posts
Literally the only requirements to advertise on the AKC Marketplace are that the breeder not have their privileges suspended or revoked and that the puppies/dogs offered for sale be eligible for AKC registration, or already registered if they are adults. You will find everything from casual backyard breeders to mills producing dozens of litters a year to really good breeders advertising there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all,

Future first time doberman owner and first time posting here, so I apologize if this post isn't in the right place. I've been doing some research on good breeders nearby and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with J Bar S Dobermans (Missouri) or Blessed Beyond Dobermans (CO Springs). I've been in contact with both, but am now feeling less than enthused by BBD after already placing a deposit on a puppy a bit ago. I've seen mixed reviews on J Bar S Dobermans, mostly older replies on here. When talking with Suzan, she was both knowledgable and happy to answer any question I had. I felt she would be a good fit, but somewhat second guessed myself after coming on here. Any input is much appreciated and I'd love to see pictures if anyone has a pup from either breeder! Thanks everyone!
STAY AWAY FROM BLESSED BEYOND DOBERMAN! He is breeding albinos and does not do holter or echoes. My husband and I were initially going to get a dog from Todd, but then he told us she had been exposed the parvo. We lost our deposit but learned a whole lot about backyard breeders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A good breeder will crop the ears ahead of time. It's not your responsibility as a puppy buyer of a cropped and docked breed to do so yourself.
Thanks for confirming that. I noticed that J Bar S does include ear cropping, which made me feel better initially. I was pretty happy after talking to Suzan and really second-guessed based on others' posts here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Literally the only requirements to advertise on the AKC Marketplace are that the breeder not have their privileges suspended or revoked and that the puppies/dogs offered for sale be eligible for AKC registration, or already registered if they are adults. You will find everything from casual backyard breeders to mills producing dozens of litters a year to really good breeders advertising there.
Thanks for this information! I had honestly didn't expect that to be the case. I definitely wish I would've come here or looked more into BBD before placing a deposit, but oh well. I'll take the smaller monetary loss over losing more in the long run with a potentially unhealthy dog. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
STAY AWAY FROM BLESSED BEYOND DOBERMAN! He is breeding albinos and does not do holter or echoes. My husband and I were initially going to get a dog from Todd, but then he told us she had been exposed the parvo. We lost our deposit but learned a whole lot about backyard breeders.
The puppy was exposed to parvo at their (Todd's) home or elsewhere? Thank you for replying. I wish I would've looked more into it, but I'll take losing the smaller amount over more in the future with an unhealthy dog from him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The puppy was exposed to parvo at their (Todd's) home or elsewhere? Thank you for replying. I wish I would've looked more into it, but I'll take losing the smaller amount over more in the future with an unhealthy dog from him.
From my understanding, he had bred one of his males to a bitch that a friend owns. The puppies were at the friend's house, and that’s where they were exposed to parvo. It was heartbreaking to find out that the puppy I had been starring at for over a month was not going to be mine. Plus he told me on 7/21 and we were set to pick her up on 7/27, so it was very last minute. In the long run it happened for a reason, and I've learned a huge lesson.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for your response! Could you elaborate a bit? What are the reasons you say that? Obviously I've heard enough that I will not be going through with them, but just interested to hear your opinion...
When I first heard of them, I looked at their site and seeing an albino as one of their dogs that they are breeding was an instant no. As others have said, I also questioned their “health documentation”. Personally, I got the feeling of some photoshopped documents but that was my gut feeling. Their pricing is also beyond ridiculous.

Also, I’m a part of some Doberman Facebook groups for my area and reading some others’ experiences just solidified that feeling of “hard no”.

And yeah, I wouldn’t use AKC marketplace for looking for a breeder. Check out the DPCA instead and check out some shows. I randomly went up to some lady at a local show and learned a lot and met some awesome people.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts