Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many handle their own vs. pay a pro to go in the ring.

Also if you pay a pro, how do you find one, do you keep the dog at home and meet up at a show etc.

As you can tell, I know nothing about Dog Shows.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
In the Doberman ring I use a handler. I found one suggested by my breeder. I typically do ringside pick up and go watch the shows. On occasion I've sent the dogs but not very often. I would only use Doberman handler in the Dobe ring vs an all breed handler in the Dobe ring if I wasn't doing it myself. It's VERY competitive and tough.

I showed my own Vizsla through his Ch, GCh, and even once in the groups but when we got serious I opted to use an all breed handler.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I handle myself as is the norm in the UK. I think my dog would do much better if he was handled by someone more experienced.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I do both - but have always used a handler for the championships - but handle my own in Best of Breed. That said, I'm really hoping to finish my own puppy from the bred by class this time around...... we shall see. I'd probably be considered a decent breeder/owner handler in another breed, but Dobermans are tough and I'm not that great.

In finding a handler, it is a good idea to talk to your breeder and see who they use. The other way of picking a handler is to go to the local shows and watch them and talk to exhibitors. The Doberman ring is more of a specialized ring and while some all-breed handler do fine in the Dobe ring, not all do.

In my area (mid atlantic) a good handler cost anywhere from $100 to $120 for a ring drop (more for a specialty show), to send them out you add expenses which can add up to a lot.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
The breeder of my 2 girls, D'Va and Jordan, is a handler so she showed both to their Championships. D'Va had to travel with Michelle and was gone several months. Jordan finished much more quickly and never had to travel...I just met up with Michelle at the shows. I had a Junior handler show Jordan who also put a number of points on her.

I agree, for Dobermans I would not use an all-breed handler. If your breeder has no suggestions for a handler, you can attend some shows and watch/talk to some of the handlers after they are done showing.

With respect to showing my Dobes myself, it would be fine if all I had to do was stack them, but moving them I do them no justice! :)

Jan

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Myself or my mom usually shows our dogs. Well I usually show them as puppies, train them and put the first few points then my mom takes them and finishes them. :p

I think a few all breed handlers can do alright in the doberman ring but I agree with everyone else, it's best to hire a Doberman specific handler to show them.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Our breeder (who also co-owns my boy) handled him to his championship. Though she is not technically a handler now, she is a well-known judge, and she did quite a bit of handling before becoming a judge. He finished quick and it was cost effective :)

Now, in breed we are using a handler.

I would like to learn how to handle him so that I could take him to local shows or small shows, either to help put points on him now or for fun in the future. In fact, I think I will start taking handling classes with him soon.

I have always done ring-side drops because my SO would have my head if I sent the dog (who, at 2, we still refer to as "our puppy") away for any length of time. They are the best of pals and I don't know who would be sadder if I sent the pup away. I do, however, know who would not be sad: my red girl, who wouldn't mind a break from her harassing little brother :p

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
My primary interest in showing a dog is for the dog to be taken to it's full potential-the only way that's going to be done is for a pro handler to come into the picture. I wouldn't want my handling skills to hold a good dog back, and that's what happens most of the time.

My last two champions were handled by their respective breeders, who are both pro handlers. One would be considered an all breed handler, but he's one of the exceptions, and he started in dobermans. For the most part I agree with the others, I'd stick to doberman specific handlers.

I've used handlers who weren't my breeder in the past, and one thing I think is important is not only to watch what a handler does in the ring, but also how they treat their dogs OUTSIDE of the ring. Also how the dog responds to them outside the ring-you can tell if a handler is putting on a show of being all friendly with the dog, rather than their normal manner-dogs aren't fools and their response can tell you a lot.

99% of the time I drop the dog off with the handler at ringside, and watch the judging. While I don't mind sending a dog off with a handler for an occasional short circuit if I'm not able to travel at that time, it would never be for more than a week or so. And since I like a good road trip, I'm more likely to travel with the dog and still do ringside drop offs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the responses

what makes handling a Doberman trickier than other breeds so that you would want a Dobe specific handler?

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts

what makes handling a Doberman trickier than other breeds so that you would want a Dobe specific handler?
It is a very competitive breed and the quality is high. You can't hide anything with coat - a handler that can make a dog look its very best is important.

Here on the East coast, a good Doberman handler is generally a cut above the average all breed handler.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Not to hijack your thread OP, but could someone give me a list of names of good dobe handlers so I can look them up and hopefully find some videos for them?

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Not to hijack your thread OP, but could someone give me a list of names of good dobe handlers so I can look them up and hopefully find some videos for them?
Gwen DeMilta
Carissa DeMilta Shimpeno
Deigo Garcia
Michele Scott (all breed)
Kelly Marquis
Jessy Sutton (all breed)
Estaban Farias
Ann White
Karen Fox

This is off the top of my head and mostly East Coast (with a couple of midwest) handlers. I don't know the West Coast handlers well enough. You might be able to find some video of the DPCA Nationals -

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts

To me, the BIGGEST reason to stay away from all breed handlers in most situations is because of the possibility of schedule conflicts. If the handler has two breeds scheduled at the same time, the dog in the other breed might have priority and be the one who gets the handler. Also, sometimes judging goes on longer than expected, and the handler might still be hung up in another ring for that reason-the champions they campaign are always going to have priority over the non champion dogs. In these situations, they'll almost always have someone to cover for them...but if I'm paying $100-125/day for a specific handler to show my dog, then I want THAT handler present and accounted for. I don't want to pay that kind of money for an assistant who's just learning to handle, or even another pro handler who doesn't know my dog.

So if you use a doberman only handler, you're assured they don't have these kind of conflicts. They'll be at the doberman ring for your class.

In terms of handling skills, dobermans can be quirky to train due to their high intelligence. You have to use a bit more psychology at times with them than you would for a lot of other breeds. It's VERY easy to overtrain them, and then they'll just shut down. A good show dog is one who animates easily, has fun in the ring, etc...it's a real uphill struggle to show a dog who doesn't want to do it.

The expertise of some handlers in coated breeds is more in their ability to grow and maintain coat on the dogs in their care, more so than the way they're able to present a dog in the ring.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Jeff Brucker-he actually has a video for sale
Andy Linton-all breed handler who started out in dobermans. He's probably the most talented handler I've ever seen.
I absolutely love watching Andy in the ring - he's just so smooth and moves the dogs so well and they want to work for him.

Jan

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
This thread is kind of sad. True though. Have a doberman get a handler. Handler counts as much as the dog.
I don't necessarily think that's true-there actually are more owner handlers out there being successful than there ever were in the past.

Good dogs presented well get recognized. But BOTH requirements have to be met-an owner handler has to present their dog at least as well as a pro would.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
I handle my own. I'm very stubborn and commited to improving. I have finished one dog and I just got the second major on my bitch today. It can be done, but it isn't easy.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I don't necessarily think that's true-there actually are more owner handlers out there being successful than there ever were in the past.

Good dogs presented well get recognized. But BOTH requirements have to be met-an owner handler has to present their dog at least as well as a pro would.
To get a CH yes, but to go to the top, you need a handler. All things equal handler wins hands down..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts