Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We really don't travel a lot, but we are going to Orlando in two weeks. My husband is coming in from overseas and we are going to spend a week at Disney World :) We are using my in-laws timeshare condo and they don't allow pets so we are having to board Gunner. I would normally take him with us, but in this case, we don't have a choice. Instead of going to the vet's office though, he's going to a dog trainer's facility that does boarding. He willl only be crated for sleeping and meals. The rest of the time, he'll be outside in a huge grassy fenced in area with other friendly dogs to play with. The trainer also owns a doberman so she's familiar with the breed. Do you ever board your dobes, and what type of place do you normally leave them? I hate leaving him at all, but I figure this is better than being locked up in a kennel at the vet's for a week.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there, When I worked at the vet clinic in AZ I used to hate seeing the dogs behind bars while boarding. I like the idea of having them able to be out and about. Is your husband military? I only ask because my husband is. I see that you are in Georgia, we might be moving there in a couple years or so for the career course at Gordon we will see. I enjoy reading your posts.

Amy
I feel the same way...I think he would go nuts locked behind bars for a week. If that were our only option, I'd probably be sneaking him into the condo lol! My husband is a police officer and is currently working for the UN :) He grew up in a military family though...his dad did 28 years in the Coast Guard.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks...I'm just a nervous mom I guess :) I know he'll be fine. The lady who runs the facility is very responsbile and ethical. She also does competitive obedience and shows her belgian shepherds in conformation. She's very trustworthy. She requested that I bring his bed from home with his own smell and his own food, so that made me feel better. I think he will have a blast....may not even want to come home!

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a requirement if a dog lives with me. I start with puppies. They have visits at friends, then whole afternoons, then evenings. I want a well rounded dog who can learn to not just survive without mom/dad but thrive, enjoy life, still play, eat, etc.
That's a good way of looking at it! I want him to enjoy life without me always being right there :) I think a week of playing with other friendly dogs will do him good. I'm going to miss him like crazy though! I've gotten used to the nose pokes every 2 minutes ;)

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should have added that I also see the "other side" as I do dog boarding on a referral basis through a few trainers, etc. It's so sad to see some of the dogs and how stressed out they get. My first Dobe also was a horrible Momma's boy and I learned some tough lessons that way!

I'm sur I miss mine more than they miss me :)
I know what you mean...when I worked for the vet, we did boarding and it was sad how upset some of the dogs got. Granted they were kept in cement runs though and only taken out to potty.....made me pretty upset. I just couldn't do that to Gunner. That's why I'm glad he won't be locked up and will have tons of freedom and play time.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've visited the place several times and I've met the owner. It's a beautiful place and all the dogs are always very relaxed and happy. She mainly does training too so I'll likely be using her for our formal obedience work. She's got a doberman that competes in obedience trials and does very well :)

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm so glad you're going to Orlando one of my favorite places to shop...LOL! Dress cool with a sweater in the evenings. There's so many things to see I can't name them all. Blessings on you and your family!! Your dog will be fine.

I have family that come over and stay with Devon so she's never been boarded. If I had to board her I would send her to my friend her former owner. Also the vet has known Devon since birth she is the vet that saved her life as a baby dobe.So I have lots of choices............
We LOVE Orlando :) We go at least twice a year! Hopefully next time Gunner can come with us!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.