Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We really don't travel a lot, but we are going to Orlando in two weeks. My husband is coming in from overseas and we are going to spend a week at Disney World :) We are using my in-laws timeshare condo and they don't allow pets so we are having to board Gunner. I would normally take him with us, but in this case, we don't have a choice. Instead of going to the vet's office though, he's going to a dog trainer's facility that does boarding. He willl only be crated for sleeping and meals. The rest of the time, he'll be outside in a huge grassy fenced in area with other friendly dogs to play with. The trainer also owns a doberman so she's familiar with the breed. Do you ever board your dobes, and what type of place do you normally leave them? I hate leaving him at all, but I figure this is better than being locked up in a kennel at the vet's for a week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey there, When I worked at the vet clinic in AZ I used to hate seeing the dogs behind bars while boarding. I like the idea of having them able to be out and about. Is your husband military? I only ask because my husband is. I see that you are in Georgia, we might be moving there in a couple years or so for the career course at Gordon we will see. I enjoy reading your posts.

Amy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there, When I worked at the vet clinic in AZ I used to hate seeing the dogs behind bars while boarding. I like the idea of having them able to be out and about. Is your husband military? I only ask because my husband is. I see that you are in Georgia, we might be moving there in a couple years or so for the career course at Gordon we will see. I enjoy reading your posts.

Amy
I feel the same way...I think he would go nuts locked behind bars for a week. If that were our only option, I'd probably be sneaking him into the condo lol! My husband is a police officer and is currently working for the UN :) He grew up in a military family though...his dad did 28 years in the Coast Guard.

·
Kano's personal couch
275 Posts
I board my girl at the Atlanta Dog Spa for short trips. I just boarded her there this weekend since we knew we'd be out of town all day Saturday and leaft at 5 am without getting home until 9pm. The Dog Spa is great and they all love her there. It's a doggy day care facility as well so she plays all day and then pases out in a nice penned area at night. it's mor elike a fenced off area as opposed to a run.
For long trips we usually try and plan around the dogs and do things we an bring them to, such as renting a cabin in Blue Ridge or driving to NY to see my family. If we ever do have to board her long term, she and my other dog will go to my breeders. She's a bit out of the way, but I'd have much more piece of mind knowing she'd be spoiled and have people that totally understand her.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I dont board.. Mainly I have a dog with DCM, and he is VERY cage agressive I would prefer him not get stressed ext. If i absoulty had to though he would be borded with his vet becuse they know the history of all my dogs and I trust them.
On a side note I feel some of the big open spaces may not watch the dog close enough or to the extent I would I dont want one of my guys getting hurt.. kinda like a dog park.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The Dobermans always go and stay with their breeder when we go somewhere. I know they're in good hands there, and although it's a little too hectic for Keira (she's easily over-stimulated), I know they always have somewhere to go.

Now we're going away and I'm not sure who I'm going to get to take care of Dance (my Toller). She's nearly 5 and I've never had to have anybody take care of her before. My brother's always been available whenever we've gone somewhere, but now he's too busy with school and work and won't be home enough for her. There is one kennel that I'd thought about (my obedience trainer & her husband runs it and I like them), but a kennel situation would be my last choice. I've talked to a couple of friends who might want to take her -- we're meeting with one soon to talk about it some more. It's so hard. It never causes me stress to leave the Dobes, but Dance doesn't have anyone.

If I ever were to board my dogs at a kennel, I'd make sure to get references and really talk to them a lot about what kind of situation my dogs would be in. I'd want them to have lots of play time and interaction with people as well. I wouldn't want them to just sit in a kennel most of the day.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I've boarded my boy and I've worked at a few boarding facilities. I think they are a great place for most dogs and 98% of all the dogs that I've worked with have LOVED their stay. Make sure to bring a few things from home that have the "home scent" to them. If a place doesn't let you do this, I'd look elsewhere. Most importantly though, make sure you tour the place and feel comfortable with it! If they won't take you for a tour I wouldn't keep my dog there. In my experience, the places that wont tour have something to hide.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
We LOVE to take our two Dobes to a place called Tails Up, here in town. They are VERY clean and sanitary, and do not over-exert the dogs and their play time. They are staffed 24/7, which was very important to me, and they also have dog cams that we can check in on at any time. Sometimes, we'll just take the dogs for day-care so they can get the proper socialization with trained professionals and dogs that have already been screened.

Clearly, you cannot prevent a dog attack by these measures, but we have never had any problems, and our kids love going.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I board Willy at a place here in Houston called Rover Oaks. He gets lots of attention
and they are very professional about everything. Best part is that they have a doggie
day care program where he gets to run around with lots of other dogs.

·
Super Moderator
21,746 Posts
We don't often travel without the dogs, but if we have to do that we have my sister-in-law and her husband stay at our place. Our dogs love them and they love the dogs. If they were unavailable and I had to choose a second option, I would either board with one of our former trainers (she does in-home boarding for one or two dogs at a time and they stay in her house) or I would board at my vet. With Shanoa's anxiety issues and Simon's dog aggression I would only let them stay somewhere where the staff really knows them and I trust that they are safe.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...I'm just a nervous mom I guess :) I know he'll be fine. The lady who runs the facility is very responsbile and ethical. She also does competitive obedience and shows her belgian shepherds in conformation. She's very trustworthy. She requested that I bring his bed from home with his own smell and his own food, so that made me feel better. I think he will have a blast....may not even want to come home!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
It's a requirement if a dog lives with me. I start with puppies. They have visits at friends, then whole afternoons, then evenings. I want a well rounded dog who can learn to not just survive without mom/dad but thrive, enjoy life, still play, eat, etc.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a requirement if a dog lives with me. I start with puppies. They have visits at friends, then whole afternoons, then evenings. I want a well rounded dog who can learn to not just survive without mom/dad but thrive, enjoy life, still play, eat, etc.
That's a good way of looking at it! I want him to enjoy life without me always being right there :) I think a week of playing with other friendly dogs will do him good. I'm going to miss him like crazy though! I've gotten used to the nose pokes every 2 minutes ;)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
That's a good way of looking at it! I want him to enjoy life without me always being right there :) I think a week of playing with other friendly dogs will do him good. I'm going to miss him like crazy though! I've gotten used to the nose pokes every 2 minutes ;)
I should have added that I also see the "other side" as I do dog boarding on a referral basis through a few trainers, etc. It's so sad to see some of the dogs and how stressed out they get. My first Dobe also was a horrible Momma's boy and I learned some tough lessons that way!

I'm sur I miss mine more than they miss me :)

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
I've boarded my Dobes occasionally but the first time I did it was with a Boxer handler who had boarding kennels--my dog was a puppy at the time and he ended up sleeping in Frank's bed with him.

More recently I had a young show prospect who I boarded with a Dobe breeder who had boarding kennels (I didn't know her well at the time) she ended up taking my dog up to her private kennel facility and putting him in that area with her Dobes so that she could keep a closer eye on him.

But for the most part I've traded dog sitting with friends or my parents took my dogs or I was living with reliable roommates who took care of the dog if I was going to be gone for a few days.

But like Adara (and it is because I show the dogs and when they are out of the conformation ring they go on to other stuff, Obedience, Rally and Agility) my dogs will go with people they've been introduced to, behave well and be comfortable with those people and not go into a meltdown just because I'm not there. Makes it pretty easy to board them if I have to or find people who will pet sit either at their place or mine for a few days.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
My dogs are boarded for about 3 weeks every spring when we go to Europe. They drag me into the kennel building with tails wagging, and come home happy and healthy.

I agree with Adara-I want dogs who can assimilate change easily without me having to be there, and I start working towards that goal from the time they're young pups.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should have added that I also see the "other side" as I do dog boarding on a referral basis through a few trainers, etc. It's so sad to see some of the dogs and how stressed out they get. My first Dobe also was a horrible Momma's boy and I learned some tough lessons that way!

I'm sur I miss mine more than they miss me :)
I know what you mean...when I worked for the vet, we did boarding and it was sad how upset some of the dogs got. Granted they were kept in cement runs though and only taken out to potty.....made me pretty upset. I just couldn't do that to Gunner. That's why I'm glad he won't be locked up and will have tons of freedom and play time.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't board Oliver, but wouldn't hesitate to leave him at his daycare. He loves it there, his trainer is there, and he's always happy to see him. I have been taking him there everyday since Sept.19 because we are remodeling a bath and he would be underfoot. Like everyone said tour the place, try it out for daycare, ect. and the main thing, if they don't let you tour the place, find another. On another note, my husband is retired from the Coast Guard.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've visited the place several times and I've met the owner. It's a beautiful place and all the dogs are always very relaxed and happy. She mainly does training too so I'll likely be using her for our formal obedience work. She's got a doberman that competes in obedience trials and does very well :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts