Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a question in another thread, and got some great responses which have lead to concern on my part.
I wanted to post a pic, and didn't want to hijack the other thread further, so I started a new one.
I did my research and found a groomer with Dobe experience. She has a dobe herself, but I wondered at the long nail trim she did.
She said it is correct length for agility. (Roxy is starting level one soon...just for fun and a new challenge.)
Now I'm worried she could get hurt. As much as I like the groomer, I am ready to run out and find another one today!
Here's a pic...

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
NO! That is not the "correct" length for agility!!!!

I would absolutely worry about a nail getting caught and ripped out, and potential problems with her form in the sport. Yikes.

I don't know that you necessarily need to find a new groomer though. Personally I'd just tell your current groomer she needs to get them shorter. Then, if she doesn't, you go somewhere else. You'll probably need to have her nails trimmed twice a week though and it's much easier to grind them short than it is to clip them short. You can get waaaaay closer to the quick with a Dremel than clippers.

Can you grind her nails at home? That'd be the most convenient way to get them shorter. Then you can do it as often as you want and apply Prep H on the ends to help the quick recede so you can grind back further.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Tell them you want the nails as short as they can get (with a dremel) and if they still dont do it go somewhere else. I would never send a dog home with nails like that. Sounds like an excuse for being lazy.
I'm on my phone so i cant really tell but they dont even look clipped at all.
But if you want them "show doberman short" you're going to have to do them yourself twice a week

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Eeek, for my liking they are wayyyy to long. I would just ask her to do them shorter, or save yourself some cash and do them yourself :)

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NO! That is not the "correct" length for agility!!!!

I would absolutely worry about a nail getting caught and ripped out, and potential problems with her form in the sport. Yikes.

I don't know that you necessarily need to find a new groomer though. Personally I'd just tell your current groomer she needs to get them shorter. Then, if she doesn't, you go somewhere else. You'll probably need to have her nails trimmed twice a week though and it's much easier to grind them short than it is to clip them short. You can get waaaaay closer to the quick with a Dremel than clippers.

Can you grind her nails at home? That'd be the most convenient way to get them shorter. Then you can do it as often as you want and apply Prep H on the ends to help the quick recede so you can grind back further.
Thanks for taking a look! I will do a search about using a Dremel...I've never trimmed a dogs nails before myself, but will certainly take your advice and give it a try.
Any tips would be appreciated.
I feel bad for not questioning the groomer more thoroughly...seems my gut instinct was right. :nonono:

Reactions: brw1982

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
Thanks for the Prep H tip. Brandy's nails are woefully long and I've been trimming them every two weeks like the groomer told me, but haven't seen much progress. I will definitely try this!

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Thanks for the Prep H tip. Brandy's nails are woefully long and I've been trimming them every two weeks like the groomer told me, but haven't seen much progress. I will definitely try this!
I grind my girls' nails 1-2 times per week, exposing but not hitting the quick, as well as using the Prep H. That way I can apply the Prep H as close to the quick as possible. I highly doubt you're going to see much if any progress trimming them every 2 weeks. You may even slowly be losing ground. If I let my girls' nails go 2 weeks between grindings they would get super long. Especially Fiona's. Her nails seem to grow 3 at times the speed of Tali's (which nail growth can be diet related but they eat the same things! LOL Just Fiona being difficult again I guess. :)).

Also, it can be really hard to get them shorter with a nail clipper compared to a Dremel. The heat from the Dremel encourages the quick to recede some. Clippers actually pinch the quick and that can be painful for the dog even if you don't hit the quick but if you just get close to it.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where in Ontario are you? I could give you some assistance with starting to dremmel. Those nails are too long, can't believe a groomer would be happy with them.
I'm in Oshawa...but I grew up in Barrie! :D
Clearly, I'm a newbie and thank goodness for DT or I might have learned the hard way. :guilty:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm in Oshawa...but I grew up in Barrie! :D
Clearly, I'm a newbie and thank goodness for DT or I might have learned the hard way. :guilty:
We got the mini mite dremel, it works pretty good for smoothing out the nails after a trim and for touch ups. What groomer are you going to in Oshawa? Those nails are really long, she will need them shorter in order to be agile and move well for your agility.

·
Registered
463 Posts
ps. still waiting for the park date with the girls! Lol

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I dremel Bacchus' every 4 days.....I have to. Another advantage to doing the nails every few days is that it allows you to look at each foot and make sure things are ok. Just a quick look see.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm wondering how long these nails were when they walked into the grooming shop... is it possible that the groomer took off as much as she could?

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ps. still waiting for the park date with the girls! Lol
We would love that!
Just as soon as I make sure Roxy isn't going to gouge any eyes out with her raptor claws! :(

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm wondering how long these nails were when they walked into the grooming shop... is it possible that the groomer took off as much as she could?
Good question.
There was very little visible difference from when I took her in, to when she was done. Just looked like they'd been slightly filed. Twice I've taken her, with the same result each time.
We only got her a few months ago and her nails were the same length then too.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Every two weeks will NOT get the quicks back :( Try every 3-4 days IF you can safely do them that often.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I once heard that if you hear the dogs nails click on the ground they are too long. Is that kind of an accurate suggestion? Or was whoever said that crazy? I think it was my AgriScience teacher in high school who said it. She did OB with her Great Danes. Not that that makes her an expert at anything ;) I'm just curious on everyone else's thought on that.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We got the mini mite dremel, it works pretty good for smoothing out the nails after a trim and for touch ups. What groomer are you going to in Oshawa? Those nails are really long, she will need them shorter in order to be agile and move well for your agility.
The groomer is actually in Ajax.
Do you know a groomer you could recommend around here?
I'm worried now to try it on my own if she has super-long quicks due to the lack of trimming. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts