Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We won't be doing anything for a while. I suspect Max will be with us for years to come & I'm not sure he'd do well with a new dog being brought in.

However, when the day comes that Max is no longer with us, I plan to get a dobe puppy. The old lady wants a German Sheppard & I always thought is would be best to get them near the same time so they can grow together.

Do Dobes & German Sheppards make good pairs? I'm not talking about mating either. Just are they close to the same temperment & active nature.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Trinity gets along with german sheperds fine but I think that if you get them as puppys and raise them together or at least let them see each other alot they should be fine together.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The Dobermans I know (atleast 20) get along extremely well with anything from Chihuahuas to St.Bernards. One Doberman I know inparticular lives with a German Shepherd and they're the best of friends. They got the Doberman 2 years before they got the Shepherd puppy and of course they had to have a few days of adjusting time but after that everything was just fine. But like Gracie's_Mom already stated, be sure to get a female and a male. 2 males of either breed living together is never a good choice, 2 females living together of either breed can work out but it's much easier to have one of each gender.

Reactions: tjAgnew

·
Registered
232 Posts
that could potentially be a problem though, if u plan on trainin, because the dogs would bond a lot more with each other than w u, whcih is essential to training

·
Registered
281 Posts
i agree with all the replies ..like gunner said they are both very head-strong breeds and training could be difficult. I wouldnt get another dog until the current dogs training was rock-solid.
Harvey gets along with any dog all shapes, sizes and sex one of his best friends is a 5lb jack russell terrier :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. Have more planning to do, but like I said, nothing is going to happen for a long time. We have Max to "worry" about right now & he loves way to much, so I think he would be hurt or take offense if we'd bring another dog in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts