Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't have a dobe thats why im wondering but i love them dogs. anyways right now my two boxers will jump on the couch and lay with anyone that comes over its kinda annoying actutally, just wondering if dobes are like that much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't know about other Dobes, but my dog does not like cuddling with anyone, period. If he is laying down and we start petting him, he'll jump up and start looking for a ball so the attention we give him is in the form of play. While not cuddly, he *always* want to be with us. If someone leaves the room, he looks to me with a concerned look on his face, like "Hey dad, someone just left. Bring 'em back!"

He's very friendly to visitors but only to the extent that he views them as possible means of amusement. He doesn't just sit by their side as a Golden would. In a Doberman breed book, I have read that this is not uncommon. The trainer at our Doberman rescue organization told me that Dobes tend to latch on to one person in particular and then "tolerate" others.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well, Skyler has her days when she wants to cuddle and days when she doesn't want to. She won't cuddle with people she doesn't know very well, but she will want to be petted and to lick them. She will cuddle with me the most, but she also does with my husband and with my mom sometimes when my parents come or when we go to their house. I guess that's because we're the ones she's with the most, and my parents dogsit for us when we're out of town, so she knows them really well. She basically loves everyone, but there are those days when she tends to be more aloof. My rat terrier on the other hand is a one person dog, and she always wants to be with hubby. Skyler just wants to be with someone period, but she does follow me around more than she does my husband, so I guess she's a mommy's girl. Anyway she is very affectionate and lovable.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well, Skyler has her days when she wants to cuddle and days when she doesn't want to as much. She won't cuddle with people she doesn't know very well, but she will want to be petted and to lick them. She will cuddle with me the most, but she also does with my husband and with my mom sometimes when my parents come or when we go to their house. I guess that's because we're the ones she's with the most, and my parents dogsit for us when we're out of town, so she knows them really well. She basically loves everyone, but every once in awhile she tends to be more aloof. My rat terrier on the other hand is a one person dog, and she always wants to be with hubby. Skyler just wants to be with someone period, but she does follow me around more than she does my husband, so I guess she's a mommy's girl. Anyway she is very affectionate and lovable.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Murreydobe said:
It depends on the dog.
+1. Princess cuddles with everyone she feels comfortable with.

By the way, what kind of Fords do you race?:cool2:

Naveen

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Rudi is not in your face all the time. He seems to know when I want to be left alone. He'll go out to the living room and take his place on his bed(which is in front of the heater vent!) or plops down on the couch on his blanket. I only let him on the bed if I "invite" him. I have a king sized bed and he tends to be the little...er big......bed hog. Sometimes while we are watching TV in my bedroom and I invite him up he likes to "spoon", I think more so for the warmth since he gets chilly pretty easily even though he has a pretty nice wardrobe of sweatshirts and doggy coats! LOL He loves my parents.....espescially my dad....and he is a very big, burly guy. When my parents come over on Sundays to watch football........Rudi runs down the driveway with his wigglebutt to great them. My sister and her husband dog sit for me when I go out of town and he jsut freaks out....so happy! when they come over or we go to visit them at their house. Rudi enjoys doing his tricks for me and my dad......especially if I lay a large milk bone on top of his head or lay it on his snout.........he will sit there with it and hold his position until I tell him he is a "good boy." He also loves to share "his couch" with me. He can be needy at times......but by no means is he pesty.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess will invite herself on someones lap as soon as they sit down on the couch! lol. :) that or she will sit so that they can rub her neck or so that she can watch them with her pearly girly marble eyes sitting pretty in hopes of a treat.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I have 2 that do and 2 that don't,Chelsie and Amber love to cuddle but Mischa and Tia don't really bother.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Abbie will wait until they're sat down then reverse onto them! Then when she's bored of sitting on their laps she'll hop up onto the sofa with them and lie all over them, she's utterly shameless! Deez will go over and have a stroke and lean on them a bit but then would rather show off how well he can throw his toys around!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Depends on the person and dog. Mine are more distant to complete strangers that come in the house. They look at them curiously and watch while sitting next to me. Not the goofy dogs that they usually are. If they know them, they sit next to that person wanting to be petted. They are never on their laps or on the couch in their faces. They save that for when company leaves. They know the couch is off limits when humans are there to sit on if visiting. Come to think of it, they are always better behaved infront of people than when we are alone. Actors!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Jasmine is a cuddler with everyone put she's still a pup. She also loves to sit on people.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java LOVES to cuddle. Didn't always used to be that way, she'd pull back if I'd put my arms around her shoulders, as if I was invading her personal space. I never forced the issue. Yet she'd think nothing of flopping into our lap at the slightest invitation.

After she turned a year, she became much more physical in that she HAS to have part of her body touching me, especially if I've invited her upstairs. She'll flake out beside me and put her head on my stomach. When she's ready to nap, she snuggles right along my side. If she was any closer she'd be on the other side of me...

We invited a school friend of my son's home one weekend, and the next time she saw Morgan, she flopped into his lap as if he was one of the family.

There are times when Java is a bit of a pest, bumping my arm up under the elbow to try and climb on my lap when I'm trying to pay bills, etc., but she will go to her pillow when instructed to. If I really need to get office work done I will bring out a chew toy I save for the occasion and that keeps her happy until I am finished. When she is a bit demanding I try and remember 1) she is still a young dog 2) she is showing affection 3) there will come a time when she won't be around to pester me, so I try not to become frustrated with her. Her behavior reminds me of my son's when he was a toddler, and that helps me to put things into perspective when I have a lot going on and not a lot of time to fuss over Java at that exact moment.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bumpy cuddles when he feels like it....but always tries to sit on strangers laps which can be a bit embarrassing but my fault no doubt. He is not much of a licker to me or my boyfriend, but will kiss other peoples faces. I wonder what that is about - lol. He does have his moments where he doesn't want to be hugged anymore, and will just randomly get up off of the couch and plop on the floor...such a funny guy. I think it always depends on the individual dog, not matter what the breed.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Tucker is a suck up to the N'th degree. If you sit, he will cuddle...till I sit down then the only other person he'll pay attention to besides me is my Mom :)

He has a head fetish though and will annoy the hell out of anyone that comes in the door till he can sniff their heads. If they sit on the couch he will stand on the floor beside them and snuffle hair for about 15 seconds, then he's all good

1 - 20 of 21 Posts