Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,558 Posts
DPCA Canada’s Z List of Albino / Albino-Factored Doberman Pinschers

Thought this was interesting and helpful for those who don't wish to have the Z in the dog in the dog they are planning on buying or breeding to. It is nice to see Canadians keeping abreast of this issue as well.

Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada Inc.
Canada’s Z List of Albino / Albino-Factored Doberman Pinschers

http://www.dpcc.ca/dpcc-zlist.htm

· Registered
101 Posts
All of this talk about albino factored dogs got me curious so I got Cedrics papers out and guess what........the dreaded Z is in his registration number!!
Dumb me didn't know anything about any of this when I got him, I've sure learned alot from being on this forum, I guess I'll be quite a bit more informed the next time I go Dober hunting someday.

So, are there any health problems I should expect and watch for since he is Z factored? Will this being in his background have any effect on his lifespan? Any advise about this would be greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member
15,259 Posts
Hey alienex, did you ever look at your puppies registration papers to see if he has a Z in his registration number? You didn't have them with you to look at the beginning of this thread--I wondered if he is actually Z factored (actually it's albino factored--but that's a shortcut discription that gets used regularly).

If he is of normal color (black, red, blue or fawn) you CAN show him in any AKC venues--performance or conformation. Chances are pretty good that you might not want to show him in conformation even though you can. If he is a Z list dog, neutering him is the best thing to do--then you can play with him in obedience, rally, tracking, flyball etc and have a great time there.

P&AD--it's hard to know what you will get in a Z list dog in terms of health. You won't, as someone else already said get the problems that a peculiar to the albinoid dogs BECAUSE they are albinoid; but because all of the Z dogs (as well as those dogs who are albinos--they are Z dogs too) desend from one Dobe bitch (Shebah) there is a ton of incestual breeding--this tends to consolidate the bad genes as well as the good genes and sometimes you have dogs that show up with a lot of health problems that are at least in part genetically caused. There is also some reason to think that some of the temperament problems may be in part hereditary even though the way dogs are raised plays a huge role in the last analysis when it comes to temperament.

It really is a maybe answer....Dobes are inbred enough from the very beginning of the breed, both here and in Europe, that there are a number of hereditary problems that show up in all Dobes and in all breeding lines not just the Z dogs.

I recently read a post from someone who has a Dobe who has been diagnosed with DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy--a heart condition that shows up mostly in Dobes--sometimes vets call it Doberman cardio) who said that she would not be getting another Doberman because of the prospects of having another dog end up with DCM and having to go through the prospects of an early loss of a much loved dog. EVERY breed that I have looked at over the years has a long list of health problems that tend to go along with the breed--some of them are much worse that the three biggies in the Doberman world (cardio, cancer and CVI).

With the dogs I believe in taking each day as it comes--if there are health problems I deal with them as they come along--I could make myself and the dogs miserable speculating about what might happen to them. Enjoy Cedric, learn about the diseases that affect Dobermans, keep an eye out for changes in Cedric's energy level, activity, appetite etc and hope for the best. If you have poodles you know about some of the things that can and do affect poodles. It doesn't happen to every dog in any breed--just know that the possibilities are there.

· Premium Member
15,259 Posts
Good grief--talk about inbred pedigrees. ACK!!!

One thing I want to point out is that all of the dogs in that pedigree have normal looking registration numbers (they are all AKC numbers) up until the Z list went into effect (I can't remember the exact date--early 90's) there was a list of dogs that was being kept of all dogs descended from Shebah--I think the DPCA has it posted on their website. You can get a copy of it from the DPCA but by now I think all living albino and albino factored dogs have Z's in their registration numbers.

· Extraordimary
5,214 Posts
Cheryl can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought she told me the Z came into effect in registrations in about 1996 - I needed to know for the Canadian work. Therefore, the US Z list is still being kept up to date by Cheryl for the DPCA.

· Registered
101 Posts
dobebug, thanks for the advise/info. As I said before, I didn't have a clue about any of this before I got Cedric, actually it was a last minute thing, I had talked to the breeder at one time and then forgot about her, about 6 months later she called and said she had one left and did I want him? I guess I learned too late that I shouldn't have gotten one from her.
Oh well, he is a great dog, has a wonderful temperment, he loves everyone he is introduced too but is also very protective if strangers coming knocking on the door, the perfect Dobe. Yes, I am familiar with each breed having certain problems, that would not stop me from getting a certain breed, I would/will just be sure too learn all I can about what can go wrong. Even if Cedric ends up with problems down the road I'll still love the breed and I'll certainly have another after Cedric is gone, but hopefully that won't be for a long time!
Does anyone have a website on health problems that could arise with the Doberman breed or Z factored Dobes in perticular? Thanks

· Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah cedric sounds like a great dobe and I wouldnt let it bother ya :) Now you just know for the future...:) Even though I was confident we found a good person to get a dobe from...you can never be too sure...so I asked everyone here about Duchess's breeder just so that I know whether I should recommend her dogs to someone else in the future. I think every doberman owner should evenly become aware of the health issues common to dobermans no matter where you found your dobe :)

· Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
Cheryl can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought she told me the Z came into effect in registrations in about 1996 - I needed to know for the Canadian work. Therefore, the US Z list is still being kept up to date by Cheryl for the DPCA.
The AKC approved the z tracking sytem is Feb. 1996, and I want to say it went into effect in June 1996.

However, it wasn't retroactive, so dogs registered prior to that date have "normal" registration numbers. This is why the DPCA has maintained the z list and regular updates are made to it.

We're rapidly approaching the time when it would be impossible for any dogs registered prior to 1996 to be capable of reproducing (or even be alive). So while the z tracking system will continue indefinitely, the DPCA will eventually not need to update the z list.

· Registered
3,571 Posts
dobebug said:
Hey alienex, did you ever look at your puppies registration papers to see if he has a Z in his registration number? You didn't have them with you to look at the beginning of this thread--I wondered if he is actually Z factored (actually it's albino factored--but that's a shortcut discription that gets used regularly).

If he is of normal color (black, red, blue or fawn) you CAN show him in any AKC venues--performance or conformation. Chances are pretty good that you might not want to show him in conformation even though you can. If he is a Z list dog, neutering him is the best thing to do--then you can play with him in obedience, rally, tracking, flyball etc and have a great time there.

P&AD--it's hard to know what you will get in a Z list dog in terms of health. You won't, as someone else already said get the problems that a peculiar to the albinoid dogs BECAUSE they are albinoid; but because all of the Z dogs (as well as those dogs who are albinos--they are Z dogs too) desend from one Dobe bitch (Shebah) there is a ton of incestual breeding--this tends to consolidate the bad genes as well as the good genes and sometimes you have dogs that show up with a lot of health problems that are at least in part genetically caused. There is also some reason to think that some of the temperament problems may be in part hereditary even though the way dogs are raised plays a huge role in the last analysis when it comes to temperament.

It really is a maybe answer....Dobes are inbred enough from the very beginning of the breed, both here and in Europe, that there are a number of hereditary problems that show up in all Dobes and in all breeding lines not just the Z dogs.

I recently read a post from someone who has a Dobe who has been diagnosed with DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy--a heart condition that shows up mostly in Dobes--sometimes vets call it Doberman cardio) who said that she would not be getting another Doberman because of the prospects of having another dog end up with DCM and having to go through the prospects of an early loss of a much loved dog. EVERY breed that I have looked at over the years has a long list of health problems that tend to go along with the breed--some of them are much worse that the three biggies in the Doberman world (cardio, cancer and CVI).

With the dogs I believe in taking each day as it comes--if there are health problems I deal with them as they come along--I could make myself and the dogs miserable speculating about what might happen to them. Enjoy Cedric, learn about the diseases that affect Dobermans, keep an eye out for changes in Cedric's energy level, activity, appetite etc and hope for the best. If you have poodles you know about some of the things that can and do affect poodles. It doesn't happen to every dog in any breed--just know that the possibilities are there.
I just wanted to say that this was a great post dobebug. It is sad that people are put off by the negatives of the breeds, but as you said, it is in all breeds. My standard poodle has PPM's in both eyes and has had them since the day I brought him home. The people I got him from thought that the "stars" in his eyes were cool and wanted to breed him. Granted he has a beautiful pedigree, but he still is not breed worthy and has a HUGE fault hitting the breed. I looked for a long time for a poodle and he was not the one that I wanted. Call it a weak spot for the underdog, but I should have turned the other way and looked for a better dog. Instead, I drove 2 states to pick up an anti-socialized freak. :) But we work on it. And we always watch to make sure that his eyes don't progress. He doesn't see the greatest at distances and always thinks that the neighbors deer statues are real. But people always comment on how unique his eyes are. It is a learning experience for them.
It is hard to watch an animal fall from diseases. But I don't think I could turn away from a loved breed because of it. I just watch my pocket book get emptied out to find the best hope. Whether a z-factored or not, always watch for changes in any animal.

-Thats a nice pedigree by the way. Wish mine looked that nice. ;) Great job with the z-list by the way.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.