Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
A couple of reality checks.

Is this girl financially stable? Dogs are expensive.
When couples split is can mean having half of what you had before. Sometimes it takes time to get a new home, savings, settled. Not fair to drag a dog from house to house. What if you have a vet emergency?
Also, remember that the dog may be alone for longer periods of no one else is around to let them out or play with them.

I am NOT saying single women shouldn't have dogs.

If I was on my own, I would live in a tent before I would sacrifice my dogs & horses.

But, divorce is a time of upheaval. A dog is a lifetime commitment, at least 10 years, and we need to be confident we can provide for them both financially and emotionally.

And, since I'm on a roll, I tell all my young girlfriends to Save Their Money. Women need to be financially independent, and then you can have a dog or a horse or what ever you desire.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

When couples split is can mean having half of what you had before. Sometimes it takes time to get a new home, savings, settled. Not fair to drag a dog from house to house. What if you have a vet emergency?
Also, remember that the dog may be alone for longer periods of no one else is around to let them out or play with them.

If I was on my own, I would live in a tent before I would sacrifice my dogs & horses.

But, divorce is a time of upheaval. A dog is a lifetime commitment, at least 10 years, and we need to be confident we can provide for them both financially and emotionally.
I talked with her and she is financially stable and said that she will be off from work for the next 3-4 months so that will give her a lot of free time to work with the pup and train it.

I brought up the commitment with dogs and she laughed and said commitments like marriage are much harder to deal with than a commitment with a dog. I guess it was sort of funny and ironic.

She might end up moving in a 4-6 months but that's not a big deal, people with dogs move all the time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Her chances for being able to bring a pup home right now just in time for her 3-4 months sabbatical is slim though. Unless she was planning on rescuing. Of course she isn't planning on getting her pup from a byb right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Her chances for being able to bring a pup home right now just in time for her 3-4 months sabbatical is slim though. Unless she was planning on rescuing. Of course she isn't planning on getting her pup from a byb right?

From what I gathered she was on a list from a reputable breeder and there is a chance that a dobe pup being available in the next 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
874 Posts
From what I gathered she was on a list from a reputable breeder and there is a chance that a dobe pup being available in the next 4-6 weeks.
Lucky her then lol. If she wants to go for it and the breeder is ok with it then I don't think my opinion matters. All my cats have been impulse choices and some were great and some were not so great but I love/loved them all. You won't know if it was a good idea till you do it. Just as long as she's willing to make it work even if it turns out that it wasn't a good idea.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Lucky her then lol. If she wants to go for it and the breeder is ok with it then I don't think my opinion matters. All my cats have been impulse choices and some were great and some were not so great but I love/loved them all. You won't know if it was a good idea till you do it. Just as long as she's willing to make it work even if it turns out that it wasn't a good idea.
I guess sort of like marriage. One doesn't know if it was a good idea or good choice until years later ;)

Nobody goes into a marriage thinking "wow, this is a bad idea and it is doomed to fail" but sometimes years later that is exactly what one or both of the spouses end up saying. 50% of marriages end in divorce. Those are BAD ODDS but people still do it.

·
Premium Member
12,764 Posts

And, since I'm on a roll, I tell all my young girlfriends to Save Their Money. Women need to be financially independent, and then you can have a dog or a horse or what ever you desire.
"If I was on my own, I would live in a tent before I would sacrifice my dogs & horses."

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

Thanks flaminscotch!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Her point was that she will NOW have the time to spend with the puppy since she will be off from work. If she gets a pup months or a year later, she will NOT have the time off from work to spend with the puppy since she will be working FT.

·
Premium Member
12,764 Posts
I hope your friend can handle a $1600 out of pocket expense if her dog needs to go to the vet. That's where I start with THAT bill until they finally grant me with the final bill. Read my new post about Lily. Horses are even more expensive when it comes to emergencies.

Makes me think I don't want to buy a house. Where am I going to come up with the money for a New AC unit, etc.?

I took a half day off to have fun. Got my oil changed and tires rotated. Came home and watched a couple episodes of The Rifleman and then BOOM off to the vet we go!

Crazy unexpected day!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I hope your friend can handle a $1600 out of pocket expense if her dog needs to go to the vet. That's where I start with THAT bill until they finally grant me with the final bill. Read my new post about Lily. Horses are even more expensive when it comes to emergencies.

Makes me think I don't want to buy a house. Where am I going to come up with the money for a New AC unit, etc.?
I think she will get dog insurance and is getting a $25,000 settlement

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a co-worker that is going through a divorce and she is considering getting a puppy dog during this phase. She doesn't have any kids and the separation is pretty straight-forward. She said she always wanted a dobe and believes this would be a good time since she is now alone and would like the companionship.

I can see the therapy and companionship since she would have to deal with caring for and raising a pup and would help her heal and focus on something positive.

Any thoughts or input?
My dobes came well after my divorce but I can attest to the healing power an animal has during this time. I got an American Staffordshire Terrier right before I moved out on my own and filed for divorce. Yea, I had issues finding housing and I worked but I came home to someone every single night...just like I had been use to. I had someone to sleep with, talk to and cook for. I was not alone. That dog kept me out of what could have been a really dark place.

As women we have a natural need to nurture. I did it with my husband and when I moved out on my own I directed that nurturing towards Bruce (my pup). I'm particularly passionate about this subject because divorce is hard, one of the hardest things I've endured. I mean there were nights that I can specifically remember sitting on my bathroom floor, crying and Bruce sat in my lap and just kissed my face. Having him in my life during that time made a really hard and just sucky situation, something I could deal with.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts