Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night Suzy caught a mouse and killed it. She ran around the yard with it in her mouth until I caught her and told her to drop it. She did immediately and I took her inside and cleaned off her face. I am very worried that this is something that will make her mean since she killed it and drew blood. I am also worried about disease or in the case of the thing being poisoned etc. and future incidents. She seems ok. Should I take her to the vet?

Has anyone had this kind of thing happen and what did you do? She is only 8 1/2 months but I am afraid of what it may have done to her mentally. She still wants to go outside near where she caught it and when we close off the doggy door she scratches at all the sliding glass doors and whines to be let out.
:help_up_2

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
In all honesty, the only concern you'd seriously be looking at is poison. And if this happened last night, and she's still fine, you probably don't have anything to worry about. If you are still concerned take her to the vet for some blood work. Do you keep poison anywhere for mice, that it could have gotten into?

She will not turn mean from it. Lexus eats raw meat, and I don't worry for an instance she will decide to chow on the kitties or something someday b/c she's hungry :) The only real consequences you may see is an increased prey drive from it. She chased a small target and was victorious, chances are as you describe, she will be on the lookout for another because it was "fun". Chances are also favorable that she won't be so lucky to catch another one. If the mouse was caught near the house, do you have a place you can place traps (not poison obviously) that it is out of reach of the dogs? I mean have you really even seen many mice, or was this a first time incident (we see the rare bunny and mouse now and then, but not enough to fret about)? I would just let her out to satisfy her obsession, and when she repeatedly doesn't find anymore prizes, the obsession will fade.

All and all, don't worry :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Darmok and Sasha dug up a mole in mid-dig once and took turns biting at it and flinging it through the air. I knew they were just doing a dog-instinctive thing, so I didnt interfere. That was last spring, and they are just as sweet now as they ever were. I knew the mole hadnt been poisoned, cos I saw them dig it out of the ground in my yard, and I dont use poison on anything!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I feel better, just freaked me out as I never had ANY dog ever do that. Crickets and lizards they used to go after but never even killed those. This little girl is something else.
No I would never use any poison anywhere in my yard because of them but in case the next door neighbor did that is what worried me. We occasionally get mice and hubby has put traps out where it catches them in a tube like trap so they can't get at them once they've been trapped. I think he will have to buy more and put them around the fences near the ivy.

Worst part was even after I cleaned off her face she went to kiss hubby and he was grossed out. I think I'd rather have her lick her butt, LOL.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You dont even want to know every place that a dog's moth goes!!!! haha

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Your lucky your dog dropped the mouse when you said to! Duchess would probably end up eating it...b.c she wouldn't want to let go or bring it to us...she is bad at give! I hope she never gets hold of a mouse yuck!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm with everyone else, there is nothing to worry about other than poison.
Chi and Petri rush out the door every morning in hopes of catching a shrew. Petri has caught a few now and boy howdy they make alot of noise! I think they see them as really great, very squeaky toys LOL :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Byron goes nutts after them! He'll dig and run around for hours chasing them,I always feel bad when he cathces them though. I was downstairs one day and hear a digging noise upstairs,I come up and byron is smearing a mouse into the carpet with his paws. Most disgusting thing I ever had to clean out of the carpet. The whole time the cat just sat watching.

I worry about it outside that he might grab one up thats been poisoined but from what I have seen the poison kills them pretty quick and byron doens't like to play with them if they are already dead:haha:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Spirit caught a field mouse in the yard last spring. It was between some bricks and he dug and dug till he ripped the hid right off the poor thing. to this day, he goes over to where it was and gives a big sniff!!! We had a raccoon trying to go under our house and the dogs went mad trying to get to it. It finally went over to the neighbors! poor thing was pg and just looking for a place to raise its baby! But the dogs still go over to where it was and look for it! my Mother had a poodle that was a great mouser! she would kill the mouse always in the middle of the night!- and bring it to Mother in her bed and place it on her chest and then lick Mom till she woke up! It was like -- Look Mommy what I got for you SEE SEE! I can feed you too!!! Mother always told the Poddle that she was a good girl! and would give her a cookie after that! MoM always said that she was the best mouse catcher that she every had!!LOL

·
Super Moderator
15,570 Posts
It's in a dog's nature to hunt. Don't be to worried, any carnivore will do it... a cat especially :) However, as lex mentioned the rat might have ingested some sort of toxin but surely not enough to affect her if she did not eat the whole fuzzy critter.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Okay so this is going to be just a bit off topic, but have any of you ever seen a cat kill a mouse? I never had until we lived in that old farm house in Germany. The Oma had a few cats, all of which were excellent mousers. Every single morning we would wake up with mouse bodies on our window ledges and at the front door. But one day when I was working in the garden I had the opportunity to witness the black tabby, Moshi, at work. She played with it for at least an hour. I felt sorry for the little rodent and if we didn't have such a problem with them, I probably would have chased the cat off. But, Moshi would let the mouse run away and just almost get to the wood pile and then pounce on it again at the last minute. She'd get tired of chasing and just lay there with her paw holding onto the mouse's tail; totally out of the cartoons. Finally, when the mouse was exhausted she bit it's head off and proudly carried the body to the front stoop. Yuckk!!!
Then there was the time, right after we moved there (I'm on a roll, this is going to be long LOL) that I had to go to the basement at night to get a bottle of wine. (okay so we didn't HAVE to have the wine, but we really wanted it). Before we moved there, this basement was basically a butcher shop, there were huge hooks hanging from the ceiling, creepy! But at any rate, as I started to come upstairs, I heard something above me. I looked up and saw a rat! Not a little mouse but a HUGE RAT!!!! I was so scared!!! As I stood there frozen, terrified the rat would jump on me, Moshi sprung from the dark and attacked it. I ran up the stairs so fast!!! The next morning the body was at the front door!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
joce said:
Byron goes nutts after them! He'll dig and run around for hours chasing them,I always feel bad when he cathces them though. I was downstairs one day and hear a digging noise upstairs,I come up and byron is smearing a mouse into the carpet with his paws. Most disgusting thing I ever had to clean out of the carpet. The whole time the cat just sat watching.

:
<shivers> That's one of those times that calls for a new carpet! Or a new house altogher!! :eek2:

Off topic, but two years ago we went shopping at Sam's Club and bought a 5 pound syrup, well, long story short, I dropped it in the kitchen and had at least 4 pounds of syrup spilled!! I was campagning for just selling this house with the syrup pool and moving right then and there!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I am also with the others there is nothing to worry about unless your neighbor set out poison.

Last spring Gracie caught a baby bird (it was learning how to fly :() We told her to drop it which she did very nicely. So I ran over and grabbed the bird while hubby held on to Gracie. I ran in got the phone and called our local vet as well as a few wild animals places. They vet told me to give it back to Gracie or to leave it outside to suffer or for another animals to come by and eat it. That just didn't sit right with me no matter what. So we took it to a wild life center. They said they would try to save it but couldn't promise anything. Gracie still sniffs right where she caught this bird. Every time she goes out she goes to that same spot. She knows she got lucky there and hopes to get lucky again.

A few weeks after she got the baby bird, she jumped up and caught another bird in mid flight. Again we yelled for her to drop it. Again she did but this time it was too late she already killed the thing. I felt sick to my stomach and made her go inside. I made hubby take care of this little thing. Since then she hasn't caught anything except spiders. :)

She is highly trained at catching spiders. I tell her to get the spider and she hits it with her nose until it dies. You would think since I have 2 cats they would be all over spiders but nope their not. They lay there and watch them, if the spider gets close they will slap it a time or two but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
TracyJo said:
Okay so this is going to be just a bit off topic, but have any of you ever seen a cat kill a mouse? I never had until we lived in that old farm house in Germany. The Oma had a few cats, all of which were excellent mousers. Every single morning we would wake up with mouse bodies on our window ledges and at the front door. But one day when I was working in the garden I had the opportunity to witness the black tabby, Moshi, at work. She played with it for at least an hour. I felt sorry for the little rodent and if we didn't have such a problem with them, I probably would have chased the cat off. But, Moshi would let the mouse run away and just almost get to the wood pile and then pounce on it again at the last minute. She'd get tired of chasing and just lay there with her paw holding onto the mouse's tail; totally out of the cartoons. Finally, when the mouse was exhausted she bit it's head off and proudly carried the body to the front stoop. Yuckk!!!
Then there was the time, right after we moved there (I'm on a roll, this is going to be long LOL) that I had to go to the basement at night to get a bottle of wine. (okay so we didn't HAVE to have the wine, but we really wanted it). Before we moved there, this basement was basically a butcher shop, there were huge hooks hanging from the ceiling, creepy! But at any rate, as I started to come upstairs, I heard something above me. I looked up and saw a rat! Not a little mouse but a HUGE RAT!!!! I was so scared!!! As I stood there frozen, terrified the rat would jump on me, Moshi sprung from the dark and attacked it. I ran up the stairs so fast!!! The next morning the body was at the front door!

A few to many times. When we lived in California, my cat (Bittster) she was a great hunter, birds, mice, rats, spiders, ect. If it was small she killed it. Well one night, I was sleeping and we had a little doggy door for the cats. Anyways I was sleeping and in comes Bit's dragging something. She got right on my pillow and started chewing on this stupid thing. I woke up and was eye to eye with this rat/mouse God only knows what it was. I ran into my parents room screaming and screaming. My dad got up and took the rodent away from Bit and put it some where. He told me to go back to sleep. So I grabbed my blankets and headed out to the couch. Later that night, I woke up again to her chewing on something. She caught a freaking bird. :( Stupid cat wouldn't chew on anything in anyone elses room or near anyone else but me. :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm with the general consensus, would only worry about poison baits.

I just love an international forum......moles, shrews. Your dobes get some pretty high class prey!

I had a little problem with Jeddah the other night. We're both downstairs, in the dark, she's appears to be running around chasing something..... I'm not taking much notice, next minute Jeddah comes to me, foaming at the mouth. Bloody cane toads. They hop, she chases, mouths the toad which has a lovely poison gland around the head area. Grab the garden hose and flush out her mouth, meanwhile Jeddah is as happy as larry, wagging her little stump, not a care in the world that she's just be poisoned! All of our previous dogs have only ever done this once, and learnt their lesson. I'm starting to worry that Jeddah may have a "thing" for toads!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts