Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet I go to only carries the combo. He said ordering it would have to be in bulk.

After a quick internet search, looks like Galaxy-D is the only distemper only vaccine. Is that true? If so, where can I purchase this?

Thank you.

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
Even if you ordered it yourself, you would have to buy either a whole box of individual vials, or else a whole tank vial, depending on how it's packaged. Vaccines can only be sold in the original manufactuer's packaging, so you wouldn't be able to buy just one shot out of a package of 25 (or however many vials).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

My vet suggested that I check with the Banfield clinics, but they only have the 2-way distemper/parvo. Also, they said it would be required to pay for the office visit each time: initial plus 2 boosters. The vaccine itself is $31 + ($45 office visit x 3). :rolleyesww:

I already checked with Foster & Smith. An article I read a while back by Dr. Dodds that the distemper only vaccine can be purchased easily. Errrr.. apparently not!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome find. Thank you.

One more question. Lucky is about five years old. As far as I understand, he received the all-in-one vaccination when he left the shelter four years ago. His titer test from last year reflected low immunity for distemper.

Do I give him just one single shot or 3 shots over the 16-week period?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just curious- Why are you hunting down a specific vaccination?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I'm definitely not qualified to answer this :p

I would talk to your vet about it. Have you titered again, since last year?

Awesome find. Thank you.

One more question. Lucky is about five years old. As far as I understand, he received the all-in-one vaccination when he left the shelter four years ago. His titer test from last year reflected low immunity for distemper.

Do I give him just one single shot or 3 shots over the 16-week period?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just curious- Why are you hunting down a specific vaccination?
I only want to give him what is necessary.

Have you titered again, since last year?
I think I am going to give him the single shot only. I can give him an additional boost if his titer test is low again. I have not titered since last year, nor have I given any vaccinations other than the required rabies. Another naive question, once distemper is low, it stays low without a booster shot, right? Wasn't sure if you were implying that his immunity might have gotten better this year around. Just wondering.

I plan to get him another titer test along with his regular exams a few weeks after the booster.

Thank you.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I also titer and what I've learned is that just because you may have a low titer test doesn't mean immunity is low. The immune system will not fight a disease that isn't present. Memory cells allow for the 'fighters' to come out if the disease presents itself. Make sense? :)

A previously vaccinated adult dog who has a gradually falling titer over the years very likely still has immunity from the memory cells, so don't forget that a titer test won't show this immunity. If you equate a low titer in a vaccinated adult with a lack of immunity, you could make a very costly mistake in your animal's health care, by vaccinating again.
source: Alternatives for Animal Health | The Fallacy of Titer Tests

I think I am going to give him the single shot only. I can give him an additional boost if his titer test is low again. I have not titered since last year, nor have I given any vaccinations other than the required rabies. Another naive question, once distemper is low, it stays low without a booster shot, right? Wasn't sure if you were implying that his immunity might have gotten better this year around. Just wondering.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Memory cells allow for the 'fighters' to come out if the disease presents itself. Make sense? :)
Yes, makes sense. I don't know what to tell his daycare though.. it's difficult enough to find a place that accepts titer results over the vaccination records.

Thank you for the wealth of information.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
From what I havebeen reading even if a Titer shows a low number it does not mean a dog or cat is not protected. There is Cell Mediated Immunity which can't be tested for.
Here is some info on it.
We also Titer. You might find a Holistic Vet. They might do the single Vacc.
and spaced out and never given with a Rabies Vacc.

Cell-mediated immunity is an immune response that does not involve antibodies but rather involves the activation of macrophages, natural killer cells (NK), antigen-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocytes, and the release of various cytokines in response to an antigen. Historically, the immune system was separated into two branches: humoral immunity, for which the protective function of immunization could be found in the humor (cell-free bodily fluid or serum) and cellular immunity, for which the protective function of immunization was associated with cells. CD4 cells or helper T cells provide protection against different pathogens. Cytotoxic T cells cause death by apoptosis without using cytokines, therefore in cell mediated immunity cytokines are not always present.

Cellular immunity protects the body by:
1.activating antigen-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocytes that are able to induce apoptosis in body cells displaying epitopes of foreign antigen on their surface, such as virus-infected cells, cells with intracellular bacteria, and cancer cells displaying tumor antigens;
2.activating macrophages and natural killer cells, enabling them to destroy pathogens; and
3.stimulating cells to secrete a variety of cytokines that influence the function of other cells involved in adaptive immune responses and innate immune responses.

Cell-mediated immunity is directed primarily at microbes that survive in phagocytes and microbes that infect non-phagocytic cells. It is most effective in removing virus-infected cells, but also participates in defending against fungi, protozoans, cancers, and intracellular bacteria. It also plays a major role in transplant rejection.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Yes, makes sense. I don't know what to tell his daycare though.. it's difficult enough to find a place that accepts titer results over the vaccination records.

Thank you for the wealth of information.
These daycares need to start getting updated about Vaccines and Titers.
The only reason they want Vaccinations is for liability reasons. Tell them you will sign a waiver if your dog gets sick from Distemper/Parvo.
Kennel Cough is another one. We got Vaccines for Kennel Cough for our dogs. They still came down with Kennel Cough. After that I started to read up about Vaccines and over Vaccinating.

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
These daycares need to start getting updated about Vaccines and Titers.
The only reason they want Vaccinations is for liability reasons. Tell them you will sign a waiver if your dog gets sick from Distemper/Parvo.
Kennel Cough is another one. We got Vaccines for Kennel Cough for our dogs. They still came down with Kennel Cough. After that I started to read up about Vaccines and over Vaccinating.
Part of that liability is if someone else's dog comes down with something, and the other person finds out the daycare has allowed an unvaccinated dog in the group. As for kennel cough vaccines, they only cover two or three of the known strains of kennel cough. Kennel cough is like the flu. You can get a flu shot, and still get sick with the flu if you catch a different strain than the one you were vaccinated for.

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
I only want to give him what is necessary.

I plan to get him another titer test along with his regular exams a few weeks after the booster.

Thank you.
Hey Eightstar,

If the titer was low but it did register you should not need to revaccinate period. Titers typically are low in dogs who are protected but have not been exposed recently. Talk to your vet about this. My dogs distemper titers are always low (and I work in a vet clinic and they go to work with me). Parvo was off the chart (didn't register) and because I was testing on the second year of a guaranteed three year vaccine we contacted the manufacturer and they paid for that titer as well as a more sensitive and much more expensive titer. That one registered. The company asked us to revaccinate and retest with the expensive titer after 8 weeks--we did and the titer level did not rise appreciably. The clinic changed vaccine manufacturers and my vet recommended NOT revaccinating period.

If the titer is low and the dog is exposed to distemper the titer level would normally rise--without further vaccinations. You should only need to give one vaccine--not a series of three. And I'd do a titer test BEFORE I revaccinated--if the dog was exposed it may be higher but it really doesn't need to be high--it just needs to be there.

Other people have added information on how this works between your post and mine.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Part of that liability is if someone else's dog comes down with something, and the other person finds out the daycare has allowed an unvaccinated dog in the group. As for kennel cough vaccines, they only cover two or three of the known strains of kennel cough. Kennel cough is like the flu. You can get a flu shot, and still get sick with the flu if you catch a different strain than the one you were vaccinated for.
So then these places are not trusting in the Vaccines that they will protect the other dogs.
Kennel Cough is more like a cold and is rarely fatal. It can lead to other diseases such as pneumonia. Vaccination is minimally effective. I think the Vaccine covers about 10-14 of the 40 strains of Kennel Cough. Not good odds for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts