Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had two times where people have totally discriminated Deacon due to his breed.
The first time was when he was 7 months old.
I had thrown a halloween party the night before and was cleaning up the decorations in the back yard and had Deacon out there with me. He loves the back yard and never wanders away. Well the way the house it set up the back of the yard line touches the house's behind us. (Dont know if that make sense) Well... the other house has a fence and a puppy that is always out there. Deacon being a puppy too would always go and sit next to the fence and the two whould lick each other. He had done this a million times!! Not 5 minutes of being out side i hear Deacon screaming crying and runs inside with one of his legs pulled up. My boyfriend and i look up to see the guy that lives next to us standing there and John (my boyfriend) says "did you hit my dog" and the guy said " yeah i hit your F'ing dog". Come to find out he had taken a large rock and thrown it into his leg. Well we call the cops to see if there was anything that could be done since deacon's leg had been bashed open. The cops told us that he felt him and his family's lives were in dangered. The cops then told us that if it has been them they would have shot him because you shouldn't wait to see if a Doberman is nice or not.... (needless to say the wrong cops came out!!!):sadcry:

Well after i calmed down i wrote him a letter explaining he was a 7 month old puppy and that Deacon goes to the fence everyday. I also explained that the adult thing to do would come talk to me if he had a problem with deacon near his property. I then included a copy of all hid puppy kindergarden certificate and his application for the canine good citizen program. Just so he could see what kind of dog was really threatening his life.... MY GOD:mad:

Then just over the weekend we had a couple friend come over to watch football. One guy came over and i could tell instantly he was afraid of Deacon (he had seen him before but did not beleive it was the same dog ). As people were coming in deacon would bark a bit when the door bell rang... we incourage this since i am home a lone a lot and want him to tell me when someone is outside. The guy under his breath says, "will someone shut that damn dog up". well i hear this and tell him very nicely that if he has a problem he can leave. He then tells me that if someone has "that kind of dog" they need to have it locked up so someone deosnt get hurt. Deacon is afraid of his own shadow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say i got my feelings hurt so bad by the comment Deacon and I went to bed!

Ok... sorry if that was too long. Does anyone else have examples like this? How did you handle it? I know people are ignorant and i am use the normal people crossing the street when we go on our walks. However, how do you handle when people either physically or verbally atack your dogs to your face. I just love him so much and it breaks my heart when people are so mean to him. He is hands down the sweetest dog i have ever had! John even had nightmares about it this weekend that he was traped in a car watching people hurt him.

I need a better way to handle it other then getting upset. :help_up_2

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
There is no way in the world I could have kept my cool like you did! If someone were to throw a rock on Gracie's leg/foot, I would jump the fence and let them see that they should be more afraid of the owner than the dog! I don't care who you are, NO ONE will ever lay a hand on my dog in that matter! God help them if they do!

Stupid people like your friend that came over, they can say all they want. I let them know that Gracie is a kind and sweet dog. If they don't want to believe that these mean, angry, out of control dogs can be nice, gentle, caring, under control then they are the ones with the problem. Deacon didn't ask to be a doberman, the breeders did. Why take it out on a sweet loving dog? I really don't get it!

One person told me that Gracie tried to attack them. I flat out told them, you will know when she wants to attack you, because you wont be sitting in my living room telling me about it. Gracie wanted to play and when she wants to play she does a little growl. That is not an attack.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
"One person told me that Gracie tried to attack them. I flat out told them, you will know when she wants to attack you, because you wont be sitting in my living room telling me about it. Gracie wanted to play and when she wants to play she does a little growl. That is not an attack."

Hahaha... what a great response! what did the person say after you told them that? they had to have felt dumb!

I didnt exactly keep my cool. I have never been more furious in my life. John my boyfriend plays football and is 6"5 and about 315 lbs. when we went over there the guy saw john and picked up a large board and something else we couldn't see it. I decided then the guy was crazy and he was out to hurt deacon or us! I picked up the phone real quick after that! We live in a good neighborhood that kind of behavior is not expected. Especially when he has a dog of his own.
I honestly was more worried about deacon's leg.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I was just saying on another post...I forget which one...but i was walking duchess to a parade to hand out stuff...everyone at the parade loved her! but ON THE WAY to the parade...i was walking on the sidewalk and a women was walking in the oncoming direction..i moved over a little so she could have enough room...and duchess being the curious social butterfly she is sticks her long nose out a little so that she could touch the ladies hand with her nose...the women QUICKLY lifted her hand up and gave me a disgusted look... like as if Duchess was trying to bite her hand off...puh! Now...since Duchess is older...I dont get so mad about people discriminating her before they meet her...b.c I think of all the times that she gets compliments...and that is WAY more often

·
Registered
265 Posts
i hope Decons leg is ok :( poor guy..id keep a close watch on ur neighbor. Maybe if dont own u rhouse and u rent or lease ask the owner if u can put a privacy fence up on that end of the property.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I am so sorry that this has happened.. I hope that Deacon's leg is alright and getting better soon. A neighbor 2 doors over Hates our Dogs too! she came over one day about 1 1/2 ago to complain about my dogs barking at 8am when they went out to potty. Mind you if they go out and start to bark I put them right back in the house!! Well, this neighbor stated that she liked to sleep till 10am (big deal) and then was also upset because my male Spirit would sit on OUR hottub in OUR yard and look over at her house(dumb **** of a lady) I told her he was a dog not a pervert and put some curtains up so I could not see her husband walking around naked all the time! then I told her to get off my property.. well she turned me into the dog pound!! I took them all my training paper work--Spirit AKC CGC award, letter from my VET!! and all my city tags and rabies tags.. well, they said the lady was Nuts!! and so I complain about her dog, and they went to see her also.. boo Hoo!!!
Now a year later, poor lady, has her house broken into, tires(all four) slashed, and 3 windows broken.. she just wanted to tell everyone in the neighborhood.. boo hoo for her! Well, i told her that my dogs knew something was wrong that night because they woke me up to go outside but I kept them from barking so not to disturb her!! Oh she says, that is too bad maybe the barking would have scare the people off!LOL she has a cattledog, and she says, well maybe they should have taught their dog the difference in barking so it would have barked that night.. if their dog even makes a sound the poor dog is punished... I hate people who think all dobermans or big dogs in general are bad and going to bite! Hell, I would rather face down a big dog that a little anklebitter of a dog.. Hope it all gets better.. by the way, I think I would have told the friend who came over to the house to leave!!!! If you don't like my dogs then you are no friend of mine I feel!!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
UGH. I know exactly what you mean. Your poor baby. Like Gracie's mom I prolly would have climbed the fence myself and showed that guy who was worse to mess with! lol. My gosh ppl have no effin manner's!

I can totally relate tho. Bruno is only 15 weeks and I've had so much negitivity from ppl. That I swear I'd love to just make a write up about how gentle, caring and loving the Doberman is and hand them out to everyone that has something awful to say.

Just a week or two ago I had taken Bruno to this big hill we take the boys to to go sledding. I figured it was a good spot for Bruno to get socialized with other ppl but more importantly kids, and kids yelling and having a good time. This way when I pick my son up from school, Bruno is use to it. Ya know?

Anyway there was this lady with her two children. She had seen Bruno with his ears up...and while she's asking me if he had surgery. Her son, about 4yrs old I'd say. Was petting Bruno and playing with him (he was 13 weeks) and Bruno was loving it. But when I mentioned to her that his ears were like that because he is a Doberman....she pulled her son away and said "oh--come on ____" whatever the kids name was. I was like please lady. You just let your child pet a strange dog without asking me if it was safe. Yet you're going to take your child away because of his BREED? You've gotta be kidding me.

Really, I've had so many other things said :( It's so sad. I did alot of reading and research on the Doberman before I brought Bruno into my home. Because I was one of those misinformed ppl. But once I learned how kind hearted they were. I just couldn't resist. Bruno is one of the best dogs I could have ever asked for. I just have to roll my eyes at ppl that don't understand @@.

Again sorry this has happened. But as someone said, teh compliments deffinently out weigh the negitive stuff :D I know Bruno gets praised everywhere we go. Because he's prolly one of 10 doberman's in the area I live. Very rare to see.

Sorry I've rambled. But I feel your pain.

·
Registered
953 Posts
frznbuns said:
then was also upset because my male Spirit would sit on OUR hottub in OUR yard and look over at her house(dumb **** of a lady) I told her he was a dog not a pervert and put some curtains up so I could not see her husband walking around naked all the time!

Well, i told her that my dogs knew something was wrong that night because they woke me up to go outside but I kept them from barking so not to disturb her!! Oh she says, that is too bad maybe the barking would have scare the people off!!
First I was LMAO when I read that first part about Spirit not being a pervert. Oh lord that was great. As well as telling her to put curtin's up HA HA Oh gosh that's too funny.

Secondly, Good for you for letting her know that the dogs barking prolly would have saved her house from getting broken into. Serves her right for complaining all the time. I really don't get WHY ppl complain like that. If I have a problem with someone in my neighbour hood. I always go to them BEFORE taking action with police or someone higher up.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
THIS KIND OF THING JUST MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!!
What is wrong with these people there is no such thing as a bad dog only bad owners,i would bet my left leg that there is not one vicious dobe that is owned by anyone on this site because you all seem so responsible for your dogs.
Why has the dobe got such a bad name, i don't think t.v. and films help much,
so much negative imaging,we have an advert now in this country for yellow pages showing a man asking for the number of a dog trainer while being confronted by a snarling dobe!!! i ask you give me the maker of this "advert"
in a locked room and i will show him a snarling human:mad:
I hope Deacons leg is o.k. soon, this post just goes to show how ignorant some people can be about dobes it is up to people like us to educate them on how loving this breed can be when they are raised properly.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Years and years ago, when it was just Mark, Storm, Max and I, we had a few people over for thanksgiving. In fact, I think this was the first thanksgiving meal I ever cooked by myself. The guys we invited over were all young troops spending their holidays alone and without family. Now, as I've said before, Max is a bit of a barker and will act like he's going for your ankles (the corgi/sheltie really comes out in him sometimes) but he never bites. At any rate, one of the guys, Steve, didn't like Max immediately. I told Steve just to ignore him and he would settle down (he always did). I was in the kitchen and Max started barking at Steve (I don't know what he did to get him going again, but I'm sure he did something). Right as I came around the corner of the kitchen to see what was going on and to hush Maxie up, I saw Steve kick at him. I about lost my mind! Of course I probably had a glass or two too many of wine and maybe I overreacted a bit, but in so many words I kicked Steve out of the house and let everyone else know that they were more than welcome to stay as long as they could treat my dogs properly. I think I may have scared the rest of the guests, they ended up making a very big production of spoiling Max and giving him food off their plates during the meal LOL. Steve ended up sending flowers the next day to apologize.
It's like that to this day, even with Petri and Chi. If you can't handle my dogs, that's fine, just don't come to my house :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
one step forward, two steps back. i encounter this on an every day experience. first of all, i would keep an eye on your neighbor as i would not trust aything that could happen in the future. be careful on this. My only opinion is to not let people get under your skin. Lead by example instead. When i do our training in public, people will come over to talk about the breed and ask to meet Nikita. once people see how well-behaved she is, they are amazed that dobermans are like this. I'm like duh........You will encounter this all the time. I surely do....I wear it like a badge now.....some examples.....I like are "Does your Doberman bite?".....Only if you bite her first.....When they are scared to come in my house because of her, I tell them its okay if you don't come in....BYE BYE....I do always love when you are walking down the sidewalk and all of a sudden the people infront of me clear the sidewalk. I just look behind me and say,"Oh, I thought something was behind us." After awhile of doing this, Nikita would start to look behind us too....

Don't let this bother you, except if your dog could be injured by someones actions. I bet I will have plenty of experiences to write a book someday....Just vent her....We know the truth.....<gets off soapbox>

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I was at work tonight and I was thinking about this topic. I was telling a woman that I work with about it. She knows I have a *shhhhh* doberman. She is very afraid of Gracie, I had her meet Gracie once, she even petted Gracie, Gracie licked her hand. She still thinks my dog will kill her. I tell her every day how great my girl is. Every day I do this, I am trying to make her realize that it isn't the dog it is the owners.

Also when I got Gracie I called my mom and told her, my mom was afraid of this wonderful breed. Her boyfriend came out to MI for some family emergency, so he brought the video camera with him. He made a movie of Gracie running around, playing, loving on everyone. When he went back home he made my mom watch the video, my mom called me that night and said she was sorry for thinking badly about my dog! So when she came out here and met Gracie for the first time she was very suprised how much Gracie likes affection. My mom even wanted Gracie to sleep with her every night she was here.

One thing that really gets to me, is when someone calls her ugly. I don't know why that bothers me so much but it does. I would rather people tell me how mean she is than for them to tell me she is ugly.

Also Deacons mom, the woman who told my that Gracie tried to attack her. After I gave her my response she shut her mouth and didn't say a word about my little girl attacking her.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Deacon's-MoM, I'd be very wary of these people and make sure that they never have access to Deacon!! This guy sounds like he's a sandwich short of a picnic (now there's another phrase for the Translator).

Is it just me, or are we living in a society of total morons who take absolutely no responsibility for their actions. How dare anyone throw a rock at your dog.......how dare anyone pass comment on your dog sitting on a hottub.....how dare anyone come into your home and kick your dog!! What is it with these fruitcakes....

Frzbuns, you should have told your neighbour that Spirit just loves watching freak shows!!! Can't get enough of 'em!

Brumwolf, just an idea - you could try and get everyone from the Doberman Club, and anyone else who is involved in BSL, to send letters/emails to the Dog Trainer who is using the dobe for the yellow pages advert, and tell them that you will be passing around their name in your circles as someone "not to use". You think a professional dog trainer would have more bloody sense! I'm sure the Rotti people and bull breed groups would be very helpful as well.:) Just the perception of the breed that the public needs to see........not.:mad:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah speaking of that they definatly should change that GROWLING picture to a doberman in a stand...sit...or down stay...or doing wonderful agility...or all the other aspects of training that dobes pass with flying colors! lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deacon's leg is fine now. Nothing the vet and lots of tender loving care couldn't fix. It is so good to know there are so many people out there that feel my pian.
It make me furious to know all these wonderful dogs have been subject to this treatment. I would rather someone come beat me then yell at deacon in the wrong tone.
Gracie's-mom, my mom did the same thing until she met Deacon. Now both of my parents try to buy my "vicious dog" form me everytime i see them. :haha:
As far as the neighbor goes we stay very far away from him now. Deacon doesn't not even try to go back there anymore. he just better hope i never run into him in a dark alley.

Luv My Bruno, i can not beleive that lady did that. Stupid people letting there kids go up to a strange dog and that being ok. You should have told her that if she didnt even know what a doberman looked like then how in the hell did she know what their personalities are like.

Good idea Jedski! I know i would send a letter to that dog trainer!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I am so happy that Deacon's leg is going to be alright! I just don't know what is wrong with people! It is not the dog.. it is people.. I watch Father of the Bride 2 last night and there they show a growling Doberman!! Not a chow, not a poodle, not a yorkie but a beautiful Doberman. Makes me so mad!! As for the advert Brumwolf.. I would be calling the yellow pages people as tell them how you feel about the ad.. I bet they will pull it off the air!!
We are stopped all the time by people walking, in their cars, to say how pretty our dogs are.. I guess we look at site though to with 4 dobermans!
Well, I guess all in all I never have to worry about unwanted guest, salemen, or people trying to rob me!LOL.. The front door of our house has 4 signs about how much we love our Dobermans, a spoiled Doberman lives here and the Mutts and me welcome thee! Plus our city law sign--Beware of dog!!
I love the idea about saying that I thought something was behind me when people clear the sidewalk!! LOVE IT AND WILL USE IT FROM NOW ON!!lol

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Just a little PS.. Hubby and I kid around all the time now when Spirit gets on the hottub that he is looking over at the neighbor.. Now this is Spirit thinking as he looks into their window.. once in a while licking himself!! LOL
Oh my dirty little poodle.. oh shake that tail..Oh that's the way I like it.. My little poodle (talking about the lady) Oh ya! who's your Daddy.. that's right.. I am your daddy!! we just laugh and Laugh..
Spirit is such a cool dog! He would not hurt a fly.. Now bubbles is another thing LOL..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Ahhh, poor Deacon..... People can be idiots that's for sure.... I can't complain about my immediate neighbors, they've been fine. They do say that they pity the fool (Mr. T impression!)to try to go in my house when I wasn't home! I guess Lexus spends her day with her head inside the curtains looking outside of the picture window when I'm gone! So everyone sees her!

During the summer I take Lex once a week to the ice cream stop, and people start by being clearly a little nervous standing in line in front of or behind her, but they ALWAYS relax and laugh when she's sitting beside me on the bench eating her cone! And more than once I've been talking to someone about her with my head turned and she will help herself to mine as well!

I typically have parents pull their kids out of the Pet store aisles as I start to walk down them with Lex. But we do our OB work at the store too, so that generally relaxes them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Frznbuns, my daughter was a little upset over something before she went to work this morning, so to cheer her up I told her about the perving Spirit on the hottub! Got her laughing as she went out the door!! :boldblue:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Deacon's-MoM said:
Luv My Bruno, i can not beleive that lady did that. Stupid people letting there kids go up to a strange dog and that being ok. You should have told her that if she didnt even know what a doberman looked like then how in the hell did she know what their personalities are like.
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. If she couldn't tell what breed he was. Her child shouldn't have even been near him in the first place (I mean without asking me first, if she was every so worried @@).

My mom was the SAME way. When she heard I was getting a Doberman. She freaked. Told me he was never allowed at her house (she has a yorkie-poo) and that she will never go near him. I was terrible for getting him with my two young kids blah blah blah. Needless to say just 8 weeks of having him she's fallen completely in love with him and he's more then welcome in her home now...even plays with her yorkie ;)
Just goes to show how uneducated ppl really are. I was seriously thinking of making up a little booklet of info and handing it to ppl that fear my dog!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts