Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was taking alice for a walk and we were almost home when a block away from the house their rottweiler was loose and came charging up to us i freaked out got between alice and the other dog hilariously named "baby" the owner comes running outside saying dont worry she is nice all the while the rotts hair was standing up all the way down its back and screamed back im not worried about me im worries about my dog the rott did not have friendly body language at all so she came and got the dog took it in side we turned the corner headed home and my next door neighbors shaggy terrier mutt came running up to alice trying to bite her legs alice is freaking the neighbors are just sitting there watching there dog like it ok oh well so i had to drag alice away from the little terrorist and get her inside for she ripped the doggies head off. all in all a $%^&* walk

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I find standing tall and simply saying in a stern voice "GO HOME" often works wonders... Otherwise use your feet to keep the loose dog away, NEVER bend down or use your hands, you will most likely get bit. When people call out to me that their dog is friendly I state back, MINES NOT!!!! HE WILL BITE. That usually smartens them up quickly. I don't care if it adds to a stigma, it keeps my animal and me safe. If I am in an on leash area, I obey the laws, I am tired of those who don't.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See my town is so small everyone knows everyone and animal control pretty much doesnt do anything because if you call them they probably are friends or family of the person your calling on so they dont do anythign

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
maybe some HALT spray ( the citronella spray) ?

Reactions: Jenny

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
My friend and I have had similar trouble recently with the Frenchmans dogs, (known as the Frenchman because, yes you guessed it, he is French). They are particularly vicious and have attacked our dogs which include. 1 Male Dobe, 1 Male Boxer, 1 Female Boxer, 1 Female Pit Bull, 1 Male Sharpei cross, 1 Female Malinois. We have asked the owner of the dogs to keep them under control, we asked him in Spanish, thinking as he lives here he would speak some of the lingo, nope not a word it turns out so I wracked my brains and asked him in French. To which his response was PAH! and walked off.
Now when I am walking I have Toby on the leash, he is also muzzled so he is at a decided disadvantage when these dogs come a calling. I have told the Frenchman I will not only release Toby minus his muzzle but also kick his dogs from here to kingdom come, (pointing out I wear 'steel toecapped boots') followed by him if he continued to allow his dogs to attack mine. Unfortunately nothing one says seems to have any kind of effect. He is the most ignorant bafoon I have ever met and believe you me I have met some in my time.
We now carry a tall walking stick with which to fend off the dogs and have had recourse to use it once thus far with some success.

But doesnt it get your goat when you bother to keep your dog under control and others dont.

·
Super Moderator
22,030 Posts
I carry citronella spray on walks. If a dog charges at us off-leash and either does not listen to the owner or no owner is in sight, I spray the dog. I have two very dog selective Dobermans and I don't want a fight on my hands. Citronella is not harmful but it does work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The same situation happened to me 3 weeks ago.
I just stood still with my dobie and said a firm NO. I waited, the rottweiller kept barking but stood still. We gently walked away, he kept barking but never went up to me and my dobie.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I've had a few dogs charge me like that, and one of them I kicked in the chest. Usually like mentioned, just standing my ground has worked though. I am so careful about these types of things, and it really bugs me when others are not.
^^^^^^^^^^^ +1 with KevinK here.

When Amy was a pup, she was launged at & cornered by two BYB GSD's, trained to property protect.
My Amy was off-leash and I got her behind me...I called her loud & clear, and she responded ASAP.
I did a Karate stance, with my forearm out in front of me (forearm under my chin).
- I also stood TALL, PUMPED UP MY CHEST and made myself look bigger, & most strong

I also stared into the dogs, running towards me
and yelled something in a most powerful voice.
- 10 years ago / probably yelled something like: BAD DOG, ENOUGH !!

I was prepared to take the dog bites, and if K9 teeth would of sunk into my forearm, I would have been trying to separate the dogs front legs apart enough and give the first one a heart attack, if not both.
That was my mindset...to protect, my young dober girl & out-numbered.
- both large & aggressive dogs backed off, 10 feet from me
- puppy Amy was protected, by her DaDa
My frame of mind, was to fight till my injury or subsequent dog-death...that message was delivered loud & clear, to the GSD's.

Years latter, these same 2 dogs attacked and badly mauled an innocent older-women...law suit followed.
NEVER TURN YOUR BACK OR LOOK AWAY in WEAKNESS - do the OPPOSITE - stand TALL !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts