Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Extraordimary
5,137 Posts
Zucker said:
I don't like the dainty gazelle like dobes the Americans favour.
I don't know any good American or Canadian breeders that favour "gazelle like dobes."

I think one phenomena that plays into this, especially in Canada, is that the Dobermans we see in the ring are often puppies. As discussed before, it's relatively easy to finish a Canadian championship and many Dobermans are seen in the ring and finished their championships by the time they are a year old. I think of my own dogs that are usually finished by the time they are 10 months old - that is the picture people must have them of them in their mind, and often the pictures on my website would reflect that as well since I generally stop showing my dogs once they attain the championship. The last 2 males I finished were done by the time they were 9 1/2 or 10 months old. I suppose if people think of them, they think of a dog that was probably about 75 lbs at the time (dainty?). They don't know them as the 87-90 lb dogs they became when fully mature (unless they are watching the obedience ring later, and most don't. LOL)

The fact of the matter is that in Canada, especially in this particular area of Ontario, the dogs we see in the ring are usually puppies. Unless one attends specialty shows where a few more specials may be shown, you usually haven't seen many good mature representatives of what is out there in people's homes. That may even be the case in the US depending on the entry. You want to see the true state of the breed in north America in maturity, look to the specials class at the US national.

Someone else also pointed out that the level of fitness in north American Dobermans, in general, is also much higher than we see in Euro conformation shows, IMO. A dog isn't "dainty" just because it's fit.

·
Extraordimary
5,137 Posts
gatehouseGuelph however doesn't take dogs until they are 2 said:
That's not quite true. Ember had her first cardiac ultrasound when she was 9 months since I happened to be going with Rebel and Sadie anyway. It didn't exactly make a lot of sense to do it at that age, but they will do it.

And for Holtering, I've done them as young as 10 months. If there's a Holter at my house, it gets slapped on everyone that a vest fits. ;-)

·
Extraordimary
5,137 Posts
gatehouse said:
Guelph however doesn't take dogs until they are 2,although close to two is okay

MaryAndDobes said:
That's not quite true. Ember had her first cardiac ultrasound when she was 9 months since I happened to be going with Rebel and Sadie anyway. It didn't exactly make a lot of sense to do it at that age, but they will do it.
gatehouse said:
No, that is 100 PER CENT TRUE.

What Dr. O'Grady did was a favour
Whether it's a favour or not, you and I have both taken dogs there long before they were 2 and if you and I both did it, chances are there are others who have done so as well which, IMO, means that your original statement is not entirely accurate. You said they don't take dogs before they are 2. We've both done otherwise. I agree with you that it's not normal practice to take them much before 2, and I certainly agree that there's not a lot of sense in doing them before that age but they do "take" them before 2 from time to time for whatever reason. They would certainly "take" dogs that appeared symptomatic before the age of 2!

I don't know why you're arguing this - you own one of the ones that they "took" before 2 which contradicts your original statement, which was of the blanket variety. I'm just saying there are exceptions. ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.