Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share this study that I found the other night. I found it pretty informative, especially considering that up until recently I was completely ignorant of the disease. http://www.dpca-breedered.com/holter_monitor_study.htm

What astounds me the most is that for many Dobermans, the first symptom of DCM is sudden death. How awful!

I am slightly encouraged that there are several studies in progress to help find out more info about this dreaded disease. Hopefully, it won't be long before a cure or preventative measures are found!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
TracyJo said:
What astounds me the most is that for many Dobermans, the first symptom of DCM is sudden death. How awful!

I am slightly encouraged that there are several studies in progress to help find out more info about this dreaded disease. Hopefully, it won't be long before a cure or preventative measures are found!
Well..sudden deaths are AWFUL, especially with a young dog who should be in their prime. But for the dog itself...it's a far more gentle death than that provided by congestive heart failure. Luck being a relative thing with this terrible disease, the sudden death dogs are the "lucky" ones.

I know that sounds weird..but I've been through both. I've lost dogs to a variety of different illnesses over the years, and congestive heart failure is one of the worst things I've ever seen...dogs that are literally drowning in their own fluids is something you just don't forget.

All of us HOPE that the researchers find a way to screen for this disease prior to breeding..but research projects have been ongoing for years, and probably will continue for years to come. If more than one gene causes this disease (which is likely), then it's going to be a long, long time before a dna test comes along.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Actually I just spoke to my breeder today and she was on her way to Guelph with two of her dogs to do the testing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts