Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help_up_2 I just planted 8 Crepe Myrtles along my back fence. Rommel was outside for about 20 minutes unsupervised and he dug 2 of them up. They have only been planted like a week. Any ideas? Suggestions? I figured since they are TREES he would leave them alone........stupid me (sigh)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Chicken wire around your trees, at least until they are established.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I just don't plant things. But if I did I would definitely put something around them, chicken wire might or might not work depending on how determined he is. I would also make sure whatever I planted isn't poisonous if eaten.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I put dog poo in the holes I don't want my guys to continue digging. I rake some dirt over the poo so I don't have to smell it or look at it.

This only works if you catch it early. I don't suppose it will be of much help after the damage is done.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder if I buried some of their poo with the other trees and put dirt over it if it would keep them out of the rest???? Great Idea Chaz

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you bury some poo when you first plant your trees they will leave them alone, guarenteed.

It only works with dog poo. Dogs LIKE all other kinds of poo.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a GREAT trick to know! We moved into a new house in October and I have been landscaping........Chaz dont you know you were supposed to ESP me this information long ago! Haha

·
Registered
880 Posts
Chaz said:
If you bury some poo when you first plant your trees they will leave them alone, guarenteed.

It only works with dog poo. Dogs LIKE all other kinds of poo.

I hate to break it to you, but there are dogs out there who would go to great lenghts to find and eat dog poo. Maybe dog poo isn't actually keeping your guys away from the trees, maybe that's just something you believe and they stay away from the trees because they had no interest in doing any thing with them to begin with.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The dog poo is a good way. Harmony liked to dig when it is wet outside. Lucky for me Doodle likes to poo in holes, like a toilet. Sorry to be so explicit. So I leave 2 holes for him all the way in the back. I always watch to make sure when it is wet outside that she doesn't continue, but so far (knock on wood) she has been good with it. And his is so easy to find. :)

They also sell dog and cat repellent. I don't know if it works or not. Never used it. My parents dog loves eat her poo though. So it might not work.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Back in black, why don't you just supervise him untill he gets used to the new additions and leaves them alone. If he starts digging, just yell NO, leave it, or no digging. He's a dobe, he's smart, he'll figure it out, he just needs to be informed of the new rules. He probably went out there, saw the trees and thought, what the... this doesn't belong here, I need to fix this! :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there,

First I would like to say hello to Zucker. Sorry, I missed your introduction so I figured I better get that out of the way.

I have been reading over the forum, it is great BTW :) I have been getting some ideas about who is a breeder, trainer, pet owner, and this sort. Are you a trainer Zucker? You mentioned that you did not have a Dobe yet and asked for some book material. I see though that you are giving a lot of relative and useful advise and got a little confused, did I miss something?

Back in black. About the digging. Did Rommel see you planting the trees by any chance? Anytime my dogs have seen me in the garden pulling weeds they will go in afterwards and start at it as well. I stop them right away, so they never go back at it. But without fail they will mimic me and get right in there.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I'll go with the mimic thing,Tia has already shown Mischa how dig up the top end of the garden, Sighhhhh i only want her to show Mischief her good habits.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but there are dogs out there who would go to great lenghts to find and eat dog poo. Maybe dog poo isn't actually keeping your guys away from the trees, maybe that's just something you believe and they stay away from the trees because they had no interest in doing any thing with them to begin with.
well I heard of doing that method if dogs have a digging problem too. Like chaz said, when they are digging holes you fill it with their poop and cover it alittle some dirt if you want...Something like they think they are done with that spot or dont want to dig in that spot anymore...of course dogs with bad digging problems that are caused from being bored just move on to different random spots in the yard.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If you don't let him know digging your plants is wrong, then how is he to know? A simple solution to me would be to supervise him when he is outside until he knows better.
Some people put cayenne pepper or poop in the holes since they leave their dogs out unsupervised and hope this will deter digging.

I love plants and will always have lots in my yard and in my house. During the summer I put most of the house plants and house trees (like ficus) outside and bring them in during the late fall/winter. For some reason they are seen as a tasty treat so I have to train to keep the dogs from eating the plants. Whenever I can I put the plants up high where dogs can't reach easily reach them. But the trees need to be on the ground, they are pretty big.
When I can't supervise I ex-pen the plants, keep the plants in another room, or crate the dog until the dog is trained not to eat the plants (always leaving lots of other alternatives for the dogs to chew on). A breeder I know ex-pens a lot of her plants to keep puppies from eating them =)

Some people just don't do any landscaping when they have multiple dogs since it is a hassle. A friend had a very nice landscaped backyard and two hounds. Everything was fine until they got a rescue Beagle who liked to dig up plants. So they blocked off the doggie door (so he couldn't sneak out and destroy the plants) and worked with him daily, giving him more attention and more chew bones. The dog, named Toby, loved fetch so they played that often to wear him out. They also supervised him when he went outside to let him know what was and was not acceptable. They put stuff to deter him from digging in his favorite digging spots. They continued all these things for awhile and it worked. Now the doggie door is back open during the day and they still have a nice landscaped yard.
But I think putting wire up would be a wise idea.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Dobermum said:
Hi there,

First I would like to say hello to Zucker. Sorry, I missed your introduction so I figured I better get that out of the way.

I have been reading over the forum, it is great BTW :) I have been getting some ideas about who is a breeder, trainer, pet owner, and this sort. Are you a trainer Zucker? You mentioned that you did not have a Dobe yet and asked for some book material. I see though that you are giving a lot of relative and useful advise and got a little confused, did I miss something?

Thank you for the welcome :)
I noticed you're pretty new too, so... Welcome Dobermum! :D

I work with dogs. I run a pet care business, so understanding how these beasts work just comes with the territory. I do training, but in a practical not formal sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Zucker, were do you hold your classes?

Do you have a doggie dare care? I would love to know where you are located because a friend of mine is currently looking for either a dog walker or a doggie day care in the Toronto area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My back garden is full of holes where they have dug one of them is as big as a lake when they get in it its as deep as the standard size dobe .
wilmitch

·
Registered
880 Posts
Dobermum said:
Zucker, were do you hold your classes?

Do you have a doggie dare care? I would love to know where you are located because a friend of mine is currently looking for either a dog walker or a doggie day care in the Toronto area.

pm on the way!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, Well I guess it's good to know that it's not just my Dobe who pulls plants out by the root, shreds them or digs pits throughout the yard. I've resorted to putting ugly wire fencing around my favorite plants and I've stopped filling the holes because they magically reappear the moment I turn my back. I read that taking away a dog's hole is like taking away their most prized possession and I also read that if you give your pooch a place to dig you can at least keep the holes contained in a tread free zone so I'm going to give that a try because my poor ankles can't take another twist. I don't know about the dog poo thing because as an avid gardener I know that dog poo is not good for the garden especially around edibles. However, placed near but not on top of a tree or bushes roots may be alright. I suppose it's worth a try. Good luck to all.
Dawn Ann

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I had a trench dug on the whole back portion of my fence when it started to warm up thanks to Harmony. :) Like I said, she would do it when it was wet. Easier I guess. I always heard it was because they were bored, but gosh, they never sat outside. It took me sec to put two and two together. I live next to a field. Guess who was trying to get to the rabbits in the field. I busted her and would tell her no. She has stopped the great ditch, and it is repaired, but I still watch her. And she still watches the rabbits teasing her. lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts