Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a great article in the new issue of Whole Dog Journal suggesting that digestive enzymes might really benefit senior dogs.

Anyone tried them for a senior with good results? Or, anyone have any brands to recommend?

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There was a great article in the new issue of Whole Dog Journal suggesting that digestive enzymes might really benefit senior dogs.

Anyone tried them for a senior with good results? Or, anyone have any brands to recommend?
I am never quite sure if I see benefit or not... I think I do see smaller poops (which would mean more of the food is being utilized) and dogs with weapons-grade gas emissions are much less noxious. When I do use digestive enzymes, I use NOW Foods Super Enzymes (iHerb, again LOL!).

For best effect, it is probably a good idea to open the capsule and sprinkle it on moistened food and allow it to sit for a while... this will initiate digestion in the bowl, and lessen the amount of work the dog's digestive system is required to do.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I used Mercola's DE for Parker last summer. He started some hard swallowing a couple of months ago and has been looking at and sniffing his butt. If it has the proper smell he starts licking with the intent to reach his stomach. Naturally, he wants to lick my face/mouth sometime immediately after the butt dig.

So, in desperation, I ordered some more of the Mercola DE to see if they would help both problems and they did. I am proud to say he stopped the hard swallowing and the butt digs. Of course, when I go home, he will probably immediately do both within 5 minutes of my arrival. He still occasionally will do the sniff test, but only has done another butt dig when I attemped to cut back on the DE. So, I do know they work for his problems. I suspected the butt digs to be caused by yeast and thought the DE would help that.

I do believe in them. I am sure the Now brand recommended by Mmctaq are much better than what I give, but here is the site for them. Pet Digestive Enzymes | Pet Digestive Health - Mercola.com

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I am sure the Now brand recommended by Mmctaq are much better than what I give, but here is the site for them. Pet Digestive Enzymes | Pet Digestive Health - Mercola.com

They're some different. Comparing a scoop of the Mercola product to a single Super Enzyme capsule, the NOW product contains twice the Bromelain and Papain, four times the ox bile and eight times the Betaine and Pancreatin. A single capsule of the NOW Super Enzymes from iHerb costs just under ten cents; a single scoop of the Mercola product (buying three containers at once to save money) cost just over seven and a half cents. I give one capsule, and the Mercola product calls for three to three and a half scoops for a Doberman-sized dog. At the differing dosages, I'm giving way more Pancreatin (important!) and Betaine, a bit more ox bile, and less Bromelain and Papain... and, spending less than half.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmctaq, is the NOW product a human product?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yes, Now suppliments are for humans. My health store carries Now and Twin Labs, both are top makers of human suppliments.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I use OptaGest for both my Dobe and my Boston Terriers and have been very pleased with it. I can attest that it actually does help with bad breath and gas. I have been using it for almost a year. OptaGest® for Dogs

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Meadowcat, dont know if you looked at the Mercola site or not, but it has a trememdous amount of information about DE. The Whole Dog Journal DE article was the first one I read.:) Glad they published it. I never really thought about older dogs needing DE before.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meadowcat, dont know if you looked at the Mercola site or not, but it has a trememdous amount of information about DE. The Whole Dog Journal DE article was the first one I read.:) Glad they published it. I never really thought about older dogs needing DE before.
I did take a look. Prozyme will send you a free sample (you just pay shipping) so I ordered one to try. I've also decided to switch both dogs back to Orijen. The latest round of recalls has really upset me.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I can see where you would get upset as your dogs are older and I would consider them at risk. I did see one person, on a comment section of the last TAPF email(think it was the last one) whose dog got sick on a recalled food, I think it was TOTW. Good luck in your search. Are you trying to correct an issue or just thinking it might be a good additive for an older dog? Just curious, or nosey:), dont answser if you dont want to.:)

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see where you would get upset as your dogs are older and I would consider them at risk. I did see one person, on a comment section of the last TAPF email(think it was the last one) whose dog got sick on a recalled food, I think it was TOTW. Good luck in your search. Are you trying to correct an issue or just thinking it might be a good additive for an older dog? Just curious, or nosey:), dont answser if you dont want to.:)
Yeah, Simon's older, and I doubt he had good nutrition before I got him. I'm pretty set on Orijen for both of them. Shanoa grew up on Orijen and was on it until we got Simon. I switched them to Nature's Domain for the cost savings. They both do well on it, but I just am not willing to put them at risk. I was looking at the "Senior formula" for Simon, but I think it's just lower calorie, so I'm going to put him on the regular adult.

I'm not really trying to correct a problem, but I was intrigued by the article in Whole Dog Journal. We adopted him knowing he was a senior, but I want to keep him around as long as possible! I think he'll do well on Orijen, and maybe adding the enzymes will help even more.

My real problem with Simon is his hips and back legs. I've definitely noticed he's slowed down some over the past year. He's been on Dasuquin with MSM. We're going to try Glyco-Flex III and see if that gets any better results. He has some weakness in his rear end, particularly his left leg, which will tremble once in a while.

That's probably more than you wanted to know!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
No, not too much, as I am interested. You cant get a better kibble than Orijen, imo. I feed the 6fish as part of P's rotation. It reeks of quality.:) Certainly can see where the WDJ article would intrigue as it did me, too. You can check Simon's poo to see if they get smaller or if he does better, too. Those hips/leg muscle wasting is disturbing to me. It is just unavoidable if your dog lives long enough, tho. Do you have anywhere you can swim him? I lived across the street from a TVA lake when I had Blue. He loved stick retrieving from the lake and I would do that some. Now, I realize it should have been done at least once a day. Muscles just loose mass with age, ugh. Probaby forgot a bunch I intended to comment on. I tried to thank your post on last page and it gave me a vbulletin msg. Does that when I try to thank a post sometimes. :(

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, not too much, as I am interested. You cant get a better kibble than Orijen, imo. I feed the 6fish as part of P's rotation. It reeks of quality.:) Certainly can see where the WDJ article would intrigue as it did me, too. You can check Simon's poo to see if they get smaller or if he does better, too. Those hips/leg muscle wasting is disturbing to me. It is just unavoidable if your dog lives long enough, tho. Do you have anywhere you can swim him? I lived across the street from a TVA lake when I had Blue. He loved stick retrieving from the lake and I would do that some. Now, I realize it should have been done at least once a day. Muscles just loose mass with age, ugh. Probaby forgot a bunch I intended to comment on. I tried to thank your post on last page and it gave me a vbulletin msg. Does that when I try to thank a post sometimes. :(
Yeah, I loved Orijen. I just couldn't figure out how to afford it for two dogs. I'll just have to make sacrifices somewhere, I suppose.

The rescue's vet suspects Simon had an ACL injury at some point that was left untreated (and I mean *completely* untreated, not even crate rest). His leg just gets weak sometimes. I also worry a bit about Wobblers, as he sometimes has an odd gait. My vet and I have discussed it quite a bit, but at this point the symptoms are not enough to justify an MRI, especially since I just had to spend $1K on pulling his rotted teeth and spent another $1K a few months ago when he was throwing up and we ended up doing an ultrasound and biopsy of his spleen. So I just try to do the best I can for him as far as good food and quality supplements.

Unfortunately, Simon HATES the water. He won't put a toe in. I may try again this summer when it's warm and I can go in with him. For now, though, it's a no-go. If I was rich I would sign him up for the underwater treadmill at the U, but I just can't afford it right now. I have been taking him to a nice field that has a hill and we go up and down it. He's probably gotten a little worse over the winter because he didn't want to get out and walk in the cold, and I didn't force it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
He's been on Dasuquin with MSM. We're going to try Glyco-Flex III and see if that gets any better results.
You might try just augmenting the Dasuquin with more MSM. Rachael has something going on... possibly the slightest ACL tear... not diagnosable with palpation/manipulation, but there's a tiny bit of fluid in the joint. The joint support product I am using began not quite keeping up... she would go gimpy (occasionally even briefly tri-pod) after being violent, toe-touching when she was standing, etc. A couple of weeks ago, I added 1000 mg. MSM A.M. and P.M. with the other product and it has had a definate and dramatic beneficial effect.

I get this: Now Foods, MSM, 1000 mg, 240 Capsules - iHerb.com.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might try just augmenting the Dasuquin with more MSM. Rachael has something going on... possibly the slightest ACL tear... not diagnosable with palpation/manipulation, but there's a tiny bit of fluid in the joint. The joint support product I am using began not quite keeping up... she would go gimpy (occasionally even briefly tri-pod) after being violent, toe-touching when she was standing, etc. A couple of weeks ago, I added 1000 mg. MSM A.M. and P.M. with the other product and it has had a definate and dramatic beneficial effect.

I get this: Now Foods, MSM, 1000 mg, 240 Capsules - iHerb.com.
Good suggestion, and I may try that. Is there an upper limit on how much MSM is safe? For that matter, is there an upper limit for Glucosamine?

·
Registered
45 Posts
MeadowCat, have you tried Chiropractic for Simon lately? Sorry to derail, but that was my thought reading your posts. You're doing all the right stuff;that might just be enough to tip the scales in your favor. Whenever they're favoring any limb or joint, of course other things get out of whack. I saw amazing differences in a couple of mine. I had one dog and one horse I was treating for a while w/chiropractic. If they can get the range of movement back and keep in alignment long enough to rebuild muscle, they can really improve rapidly.

Just a thought. It's not terribly expensive, either. I paid $40/appt. Acupuncture is also fantastic for neurological/neurospinal/neuromuscular stuff.

Back to enzymes....I use them on all old dogs and new converts to raw, who will not have the necessary enzymes after years on kibble devoid of them. They can dramatically improve food utilization and digestive efficiency. I think the "problem" when people aren't sure if they see a difference or not is sometimes that their dog wasn't that bad off to begin with, as most people who are proactive about their dogs enough to consider enzymes take pretty good care of them all around. I know with mine, I *think* there is an improvement, but it'd be hard to prove. They were ok before I started...;)

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MeadowCat, have you tried Chiropractic for Simon lately? Sorry to derail, but that was my thought reading your posts. You're doing all the right stuff;that might just be enough to tip the scales in your favor. Whenever they're favoring any limb or joint, of course other things get out of whack. I saw amazing differences in a couple of mine. I had one dog and one horse I was treating for a while w/chiropractic. If they can get the range of movement back and keep in alignment long enough to rebuild muscle, they can really improve rapidly.

Just a thought. It's not terribly expensive, either. I paid $40/appt. Acupuncture is also fantastic for neurological/neurospinal/neuromuscular stuff.
I've thought about it. However, if he DOES have Wobblers, it may be contra-indicated. Around here, too, chiro is quite a bit more expensive, as there aren't many of them for dogs. It's a good idea, though, and I've looked into it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Is there an upper limit on how much MSM is safe? For that matter, is there an upper limit for Glucosamine?
That's a good question, and as far as I can tell it does not have an answer. My feeling is that you are fine to dose either at much higher levels than are usually seen recommended, but that's really only a guess. With the MSM in the joint supplement plus the additional MSM, I am currently giving 2400 mg./day... I'll let you know if she grows a third eyeball LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts