Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Different Dog Foods

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  ellenm 
#1 ·
so, does anyone know the difference between Dog Foods like Bil Jacs & Wolf King. Also, would you still say Raw Feeding is better then even these foods?

Just wondering because there are alot of people around my area now swearing by Wolf King.

We also got a free sample of Bil Jacs & everything their rep told us seemed dead on. Max enjoyed Bil Jacs more then other dog food.

Basically, I guess I'm looking at the money issue. You can get a 40 pound bag of something like Pedigree for $18. Wolf King & Bil Jacs go up to 33 pound bags & it about $40. I also know Wolf King is only good for 6 months tops, once you open the bag. Unlike something like Pedigree that will never go bad from all the perservatives, Wolf Kings has alot of stuff like Bison in it, so it will go bad.

I'm thinking a Raw Diet will be around $100 at least for a month.

Thanks for any help on this one.

#3 ·
pedigree is bad stuff. If you don't have a lot of money diamond/kiklands is the best for the money. Other wise eagle packs holisitc line is good. This lady
http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/ who made this site goes here http://www.chazhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39 and you can ask her questions,or just email her.

I've never heard of the foods your talking about but the better the food the longer it lasts so the price may be better than you though. A 40 lb of kirklands last me three times as long as a fifty five of pedigree.

#4 · (Edited)
Bil jac is basically just a filler. Not much value nutrionally. When I was a tech, my vet fed bil jac in his kennel for boarding and surgery dogs, he said as much about it being a filler and not something he'd ever feed his dogs regularally, howver it is tasty and dogs that are stressed already are more inclined to eat it than dry food after surgery or when boarding.

IMHO, Raw is a much better than any "dog food". However I respect it isn't for everyone. For it to be better nutrionally, you need to do your homework on what to feed, the right amounts of muscle meat, organ meat, and bones. As well as any supplements based on your dogs need for such things. I'm relatively new to the diet, but the effect it has had on my dog in the time I've been on it has made a believer out of me and I have no plans to EVER change.

#6 ·
I will be able to tell you some more in a few weeks. I just switched my girl to it and this weekend we weened her completely off her old food and now she is on Wolf King. So far, she really likes that kibble. She eats it all in one sitting. Its too soon to tell the affects so far.

We had her on eagle pack for about 4 months, and she had this mild case of small bumps and this calcium looking powder build up on her elbows. The vet was not sure what it is, no mites found, etc. She was on antibotics for the last few weeks, so I decided to also try out WolfKing because of so many recommendations on it too. Its all clearing up now, but not sure what caused it, so I think maybe diet.

#7 ·
i feed nutro ultra puppy food, suppose to be a very good food as it doesnt use fillers like corn as their main ingredient. one of bil jacs main ingredients is corn the BJ rep tried telling me it was the best food out there because of the way they cook it etc, yet still have a major helping of filler.........

i use to feed pedigree when i first got my boxer Niko thru research i will not feed anything other than nutro ultra now. its a little more expensive but i look at it this way would you feed yourself a 2 dollar steak that looks and smells bad or go spend the extra 4 dollars and get a good steak? these are in essence your kids so my motto is if i wouldnt eat it why should they.....

#8 ·
I will be able to tell you some more in a few weeks. I just switched my girl to it and this weekend we weened her completely off her old food and now she is on Wolf King.

Please do!!! I want to see if your results are like what I have been hearing. Max just had a new bag of food bought, so we will go through that one, but then I want to make the switch to something much better.

#9 ·
Krys, I had my doberkids on Nutro Ultra for a while till every now and then they would vomit a yellow bile, usually in the morning. After doing some searching, I found that it was too high in ppm "parts per million" of copper which causing this. Dobes have a higher copper content in their systems than some other breeds which why the problem. You won't find this listed in the ingredients. You have to contact the company and hope they know what it is. I also found many did not, but finally, after explaining the problem, got some answers. Single digit numbers ppm is best. The higher the numbers, the more copper. Some foods can go as high at into the 60's.
Since all dogs are different, you may not have this problem; it's just that mine did. My dogs and I both liked the food till this started happening.

#10 ·
MissGretchen said:
Krys, I had my doberkids on Nutro Ultra for a while till every now and then they would vomit a yellow bile, usually in the morning. After doing some searching, I found that it was too high in ppm "parts per million" of copper which causing this. Dobes have a higher copper content in their systems than some other breeds which why the problem. You won't find this listed in the ingredients. You have to contact the company and hope they know what it is. I also found many did not, but finally, after explaining the problem, got some answers. Single digit numbers ppm is best. The higher the numbers, the more copper. Some foods can go as high at into the 60's.
Since all dogs are different, you may not have this problem; it's just that mine did. My dogs and I both liked the food till this started happening.

Hmmmmm.... she has been on it since we got her at 11 weeks and still now problems as of yet. she is now 7 months thanks for the heads up, since she hasnt had any problems and some dogs do differ i think im gonna stay on this for now cause we have had nothin but good with it

like i said thanks for the head up though its a good thing to know

#15 ·
Update on Wolfking. Seems like a good kibble. Its been over a month now and we just started our 2nd bag. Nikita's coat is still shinny, she eats the kibble good. I know its alittle higher in protien, but I have not seen a weight gain in my girl. We just weighed her last night and it might be just a pound she gained. The only cons is that she still is gaseous and it has a little pungent odor. Not bad, but still noticeable. The issues I described in my last post of this thread have cleared up completely and has not returned. I still can not confirm that the food has helped or not. Hope this helps.

G
#17 ·
leroys is a little over 5 months now and has been on science diet since i got him...but after doing some research and reading on here i found out its not that great of food...so next bag i buy is gonna be orijen adult

#18 ·
When it comes to several of the foods on the "good food" list- availability depends on where you live.

I can tell you that Bil Jac is terrible, so are any of the cheap foods. Buy the best food you can find and you will see that you feed a LOT less of it.

I have fed Innova and CA Natural with success in the past. Now that we've moved to the southern USA, those foods are hard to find. However, I have found several top foods here:

WELLNESS, NATURE'S VARIETY PRAIRIE, PINNACLE, FLINT RIVER RANCH,
Lots of people feed the Wendy Volhard phd diet, adding her a.m. and p.m. porridges to raw meat and veggies.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.