Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up Diesel this morning. He is 9 weeks old and he has so much energy. He was very good the whole car ride except when he decided to pee on me in the beginning haha but he slept most of the way. He LOVES the snow. He wasn't sure of it before but now all he wants to do is go out and lick it (really hurting the peeing outside thing though :( ) He's been really good so far but he's had a lot of accidents and I'm not exactly sure what to do. We catch him doing it and take him right out but he doesn't finish cause he's so fascinated by the snow so any advice would be great :) I'm so happy to finally have him home though. To say I took a lot of pics is an understatement haha Here are some I got when he decided to sit still...kind of :)

on the way home

this was for some reason his favorite way to lay haha

i just thought this was cute

he LOVES this mirror. He keeps attacking himself in it

what mom?

he prefers the big ball over the little one. go figure haha

this was the best one I could get looking without him moving

There will be more to come don't worry now I just need to tackle the peeing in the house thing. Also anyone know a good way to get them to know their name?

Oh and sorry the pictures are so big! I took them with my phone didn't think they would be huge. I'll make them smaller next time. Newbie here clearly haha

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
With puppies you have to take them out about every half hour or so, with the distractions you can set up an area and block it off designated for potty breaks. Don't let him out until he has done his business and once he has you can let him out and play. Clean up the accidents really well, if any of his scent is left behind he is just going to keep going in those areas.

My phone is taking forever to laid the pics so I haven't seen them yet but I have no doubt that he is supper cute and handsome, congratulations on your new addition to the family.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With puppies you have to take them out about every half hour or so, with the distractions you can set up an area and block it off designated for potty breaks. Don't let him out until he has done his business and once he has you can let him out and play. Clean up the accidents really well, if any of his scent is left behind he is just going to keep going in those areas.

My phone is taking forever to laid the pics so I haven't seen them yet but I have no doubt that he is supper cute and handsome, congratulations on your new addition to the family.
There huge pictures so that's probably why. Sorry :(

Where should I not let him out of? I literally just had him outside cause he ate and he didn't go then within two seconds of being inside he went :( I know it's his first day but I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to start with the every 30 minutes going out so he doesn't have a chance to have an accident.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Repitition and lots of praise when he goes potty outside. When I had my chocolate lab puppy, we sectioned off the kitchen and she stayed there for a few days (kitchen was huge and joined the living room that was also hard floor) until she got the idea of potty training. Took about a week for her to understand potty inside is not good.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Start reading about housebreaking now,,, oops NO, He is peeing. read it later when he is sleeping.
Adorable, love the look on the last pic.
When I got Nubis the first weekend was his freebie weekend, haha.
Then he was lead outside when it was time on a leash. And lots of praise when he did.
I would recommend a crate and soon as he wakes up, take outside without hesitation and repeat go pee, cuz he will and lots of praise and back in.
If he sleeps in an open pen, he will pee everywhere.
A dog gets to know his name, when you use it talking to him. As a pup, they hear it enuf they figure it out pretty quick.
Get the little guy on a schedule and you will be much happier and more successful at initial training.
If you think he has energy now, wait for it, hehe
HVe fun and keep asking questions and methods.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Start reading about housebreaking now,,, oops NO, He is peeing. read it later when he is sleeping.
Adorable, love the look on the last pic.
When I got Nubis the first weekend was his freebie weekend, haha.
Then he was lead outside when it was time on a leash. And lots of praise when he did.
I would recommend a crate and soon as he wakes up, take outside without hesitation and repeat go pee, cuz he will and lots of praise and back in.
If he sleeps in an open pen, he will pee everywhere.
A dog gets to know his name, when you use it talking to him. As a pup, they hear it enuf they figure it out pretty quick.
Get the little guy on a schedule and you will be much happier and more successful at initial training.
If you think he has energy now, wait for it, hehe
HVe fun and keep asking questions and methods.

Thank you! I decided today was his freebie but he actually just went outside for the first time. I'm pretty sure people thought I was an idiot for being so happy my dog went potty haha I am starting a schedule tomorrow and tonight I am reading ALL about potty training and crate training!

I appreciate all the advice. I am so glad I found this forum. I'd be lost without it. You all are so helpful

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also I heard you shouldn't let them outside for too long while posting their ears. Is that true? I feel like his ears are so cold cause we take him out so often I feel bad.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
There huge pictures so that's probably why. Sorry :(

Where should I not let him out of? I literally just had him outside cause he ate and he didn't go then within two seconds of being inside he went :( I know it's his first day but I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to start with the every 30 minutes going out so he doesn't have a chance to have an accident.

Thanks for the advice!
Do you have an ex pen?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Enjoy that time he can spend in your lap! It wont last!
Too adorable. :D
Well........the time when he'll FIT in your lap won't last. He'll probably still manage to climb up though! :)

He's cute.
Darn, melbrod. You beat me to it! Yes, they might not fit so snuggly. But I can assure you they will try. :)

And he is a CUTIE!! Congrats!

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
No worries about his ears getting cold... take a much time as you need outside til he pottys. (Potties?)Juno went for a "swim" today and it was FREEZING! Silly dog.

Your posts look pretty good! :) I have a few tricks so they don't lean in like that. He is too cute and can't wait to meet him!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No worries about his ears getting cold... take a much time as you need outside til he pottys. (Potties?)Juno went for a "swim" today and it was FREEZING! Silly dog.

Your posts look pretty good! :) I have a few tricks so they don't lean in like that. He is too cute and can't wait to meet him!
That's good to hear! Wow a swim! Juno's a brave dog! haha

I only did one the breeder did the other. Let's pick a weekend and meet up and you can show me how you do it and the dogs can meet :) He said they would lean a little like that but that if it starts to actually affect how his ears stand that we'll go to another method.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts