Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to a field today and Diesel decided he had had enough of being on a leash and wiggled his way somehow out of his harness. Luckily we have been working on recall and he ran right back. He didn't get very far. He wanted to be with the little boy I watch which was maybe 10 feet from me so he just went to him but he scared the crap out of me. Once I called him he ran straight to me. He's never once tried to get out of his harness so I was really surprised. I all the sudden had flashbacks of my husky who if he got out would run and run and run and wouldn't come till he was done.

My puppy does an awesome job of scaring me:sadcry: I am glad he listens to me though. That did make me proud.

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
Wow, that had to have been scary! Glad he came right to you, though. Good for you too, for working on that recall.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yay, Diesel (for coming back)!

If he makes a habit of this, you could try using a collar with a harness and a leash coupler.
I had a big party for him coming back. I knew I couldn't be mad cause that would ruin it.

Where do you get a leash coupler?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't trust harnesses for walking for this reason. They can slip out of them like a t-shirt if they really want to. Glad everything turned out okay.
I never even thought of it honestly. I never thought he would. I always thought he'd slip out of a flat collar easier then a harness but he's also the first puppy I've used a harness for.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Diesel, what a smart little sh*t...He-He.
- I simply love this boy...he is quite the communicator
You telling your Mom buddy, "I will be good off leash"...I am no husky...lol...me stay close to loved ones.
- the other dog was probably just rolling his eyes, that dang Diesel will just about do anything to get more special attention and human sucky

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Diesel, what a smart little sh*t...He-He.
- I simply love this boy...he is quite the communicator
You telling your Mom buddy, "I will be good off leash"...I am no husky...lol...me stay close to loved ones.
- the other dog was probably just rolling his eyes, that dang Diesel will just about do anything to get more special attention and human sucky
I tell you what he is by far the smartest puppy I have ever had. It's ridiculous. I was proud of him but he needs to learn to communicate without giving mom a heart attack :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would have peed myself. haha.. I'm SO glad his recall was good though! What a good boy :)

Honestly, I wouldn't have though it would happen either. I got a harness for the sheer reason of her NOT being able to slip out of it, as that was my fear with a flat collar. Shes tried to get out of the harness once or twice, but hasn't been able to get out. Maybe a different style of harness??

What are we supposed to use if neither harness nor collar are safe :(

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would have peed myself. haha.. I'm SO glad his recall was good though! What a good boy :)

Honestly, I wouldn't have though it would happen either. I got a harness for the sheer reason of her NOT being able to slip out of it, as that was my fear with a flat collar. Shes tried to get out of the harness once or twice, but hasn't been able to get out. Maybe a different style of harness??

What are we supposed to use if neither harness nor collar are safe :(
Exactly! Now I'm just stuck :( I'm going to look into the one you have see if that's better.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wow! Scary indeed! So glad your recall work paid off!

I used to walk Bentley with a flat collar and I was terrified of losing him. I wanted to avoid a harness, as typically harnesses allow a dog to tug and pull with more of their chest and upper body muscles. A trainer reccommended a martingale to me and it is wonderful!

Bentley had been walked with a prong at his previous home, but I really didnt want to use it. I feel much safer using a martingale. There's no need to worry about the collar slipping off, and it 'corrects' like a prong does, but in my eyes feel a million times safer.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! Scary indeed! So glad your recall work paid off!

I used to walk Bentley with a flat collar and I was terrified of losing him. I wanted to avoid a harness, as typically harnesses allow a dog to tug and pull with more of their chest and upper body muscles. A trainer reccommended a martingale to me and it is wonderful!

Bentley had been walked with a prong at his previous home, but I really didnt want to use it. I feel much safer using a martingale. There's no need to worry about the collar slipping off, and it 'corrects' like a prong does, but in my eyes feel a million times safer.
I want to get away from the harness anyway cause its causing him to loose his hair under his legs. I do like the martingale. I want to get him one but it still makes me nervous cause it's not always tight if he's not pulling. I guess if I fit it right he should be ok.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
The key to using a martingale is to make sure it is adjusted properly. This is how it was explained to me: Put it just below the jaw, and just behind the occiput. The rings should not touch when the loop is pulled snug, but be an inch or so apart. That way, if a serious effort is made to get loose, the collar tightens to less than the diameter of the dogs head. You may bea able to just slip the collar off and on over his head with the loop slack, or you may have to readjust it after it's on, depending on how snug it need to be.

Anyway, keep up the good work on that recall.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts