Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if you guys used a cone (elizabeth) after a sterilisation because my vet said i dont realy need to use it if my dog dont try to lick his abdomen. She is not trying but i would like to know if you normaly use one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My male wouldn't leave his incision alone, but the cone freaked him out in a HUGE way. So I bought two inflatable rings (made for this purpose). One size L and one size M, and stacked them on his neck. With that long dobe neck of his, he could still reach his rear with only one ring on. With two, he couldn't reach his rear at all, but could comfortably play, eat, sleep and get around. I got them at PetSmart, for about $30 each I think. Not cheap, but so much easier on him. He did, however, look like a baby's stacking rings toy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My male wouldn't leave his incision alone, but the cone freaked him out in a HUGE way. So I bought two inflatable rings (made for this purpose). One size L and one size M, and stacked them on his neck. With that long dobe neck of his, he could still reach his rear with only one ring on. With two, he couldn't reach his rear at all, but could comfortably play, eat, sleep and get around. I got them at PetSmart, for about $30 each I think. Not cheap, but so much easier on him. He did, however, look like a baby's stacking rings toy!
That may be the funniest doberpic I've ever seen.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah, he was none too thrilled. But he WAS much more comfortable. Poor Dylan. All he wanted to do was check out his boy parts. That photo, by the way, is saved on my computer as "Dylan No-nuts Donuts". :laughing:

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My girl did not lick her stitches...but she was 9 years old, and not at a young energy level.

Just try without a cone first, and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If you decide to use a cone, you might look at the Comfycone from Petco.

·
Super Moderator
21,742 Posts
Yes, we did for a few days. I didn't want to take any chances.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Depended on the dog. However for all of them any time they were unsupervised, a cone went on. The majority had the cone on almost all the time at first at least. Better safe, than sorry!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts