Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know I've heard people post this before but experiencing it first hand sure is something...:rolleyesww:

I'm in the butcher shop stocking up one bones for Cato. And I mean seriously stocking up. The girl behind the counter says "You must have a lot of dogs or one reaally big one." My response, "I have a doberman and am going out of town, so I'm leaving these for my brother to give to him."
"A doberman! How sweet, I love dobermans."
Me (cause I'm a proud momma) "Want to see a picture?"
"Of course"
....Shows attached photo...

"Oh! I am so glad you didn't have his ears cropped!!"
"Um, they are cropped..."

"Oh.... why? You don't look like someone who would crop a dog."
"Well, he was a show prospect. The breeder does it early, so it was done before we bought him."
"Oh but it's so mean. Imagine if we cut babies ears!"
"We circumcise little boys..."
"Oh, well boys don't count."

*Sigh.*

I was floored... still am to be honest.

I guess this will be more common than I thought.
Anyone want to share what your responses would be or are in these situations?

I literally used the "circumcised" one with my own grandfather when he said "what if we did that to kids, that would be wrong."
I think it's my favorite.:roflmao:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I...uh...lolwut? :confused:

Really, to the people who are against cropping and docking, I ask them if they're pro spaying and neutering. Elka minded being spayed far more than she did being cropped.
I use this one too.

I have also been told "I am so glad you didn't have him cropped" and I said they are. She just "oh" and walked away lol.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I would just say, "I didn't crop him - his breeder did - and all ethical breeders crop." That last part may be a bit of a stretch, since there are a FEW responsible breeders who don't, but it's really not worth going into details with people who don't understand responsible/ethical breeding. If anything it gives you a chance to go into the subject of ethical breeding.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
"We circumcise little boys..."

^^^^ That is my favorite one to / two ladies at work, didn't have a come back...when I said it.

Our Amy was at the Vet ...waiting for our appointment / lady said, "I'm glad you didn't get her ears done".
- so I just showed her my girls ears close up politely, it went fine / she was surprised that a dobe can relax their ears flat and only one side is trimmed, to reduce weight

Very cute Cato...btw.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would just say, "I didn't crop him - his breeder did - and all ethical breeders crop." That last part may be a bit of a stretch, since there are a FEW responsible breeders who don't, but it's really not worth going into details with people who don't understand responsible/ethical breeding. If anything it gives you a chance to go into the subject of ethical breeding.

This is a great idea. She did continue to ask me why, "why would you do something so mean to a dog." I did get to educate her a bit about what an appropriate crop is... reputable vet, age, anesthetic, ect.
I don't think she even knew that a vet performed crops... that owners don't just do it themselves.

But it is a great teaching opportunity. I'll have to remember that anytime I get responses like this.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I appreciate hearing what other dobe owners think on subjects like this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have had a few run ins like that, but I did have one guy come in and ask me once, " How come you didnt crop her ears ? "

"Ummm I did"

"No, they are laying flat."

Generally, they dont stand up ALL the time. They stand up, lay backwards, sideways... lol "

He didnt want to believe me until I had her get excited and he saw her ears pop up into alert mode.
:rolleyesww:

They way I see it, is as Dobermann owners..we are going to run into our fair share of Ding-a-lings.. might save alot of trouble if we just smile and walk away LOL

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
In the case of people who say something as asinine as "I'm so glad you didn't have him cropped!" I gladly treat them as ignorant as they are and say, "My dog is cropped, and I'm surprised you're opposed to it since you clearly don't even know what it is..." :)

You'll probably enjoy how quickly people shut-up due to their own embarrassment when you call them on not knowing what they're talking about. I know I enjoy it. LOL

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Cato, is a nice Red with some happening ears.!!!!!!!

I use the circumcision, one alot. If they persist, I then tell them, they wanted to circumcise me, but I wouldnt let them.

One night while Nubis, was still being posted. I was out for his walk and this Party Animal kinda guy, goes
"ooo man, I wanted a Dobe all my life, I just love these dogs." Then he goes, "what happened to his ears". I am like: "I am posting them" and explained briefly.
"You mean he wasn't born like that, you cut his tail too"...... Yup.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Honestly I would use the circumcise line if I was in the US, however I'm not allowed to C/D and I would rather contend with that argument then getting Germans asking me if he is a Rottweiler!

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
I plan on telling people like it or lump it...that's the way it is...Dobe owners like the look AND it's for your own safety...people need to know it's a guard/Doberman not a HOUND
they say docking and cropping was done for the dog's safety so a burgler can't have anything to grab onto...that is how it started....also tell them with the wonders of the modern medical world the dog doesn't feel a thing

·
Registered
675 Posts
Cropping/docking began with the Breed origination in Germany as a deterent a cropped/docked Dobe visually is very different from an all natural Dobe. In addition you cannot grab the ears/tail to try and stop the Dobe. I don't think I would tell JQP that though they might take it the wrong way.

I collect old Doberman Books where one of the other reasons given is the type of ears a Doberman has which will bleed profusely if they should tear. My friends natural eared Dobe tangled with some type of wild critter and got one of his ears torn it was a real mess.

Dogs with upright ears where there is air circulation are less prone to ear infections.

Circumcision, spay/neuter particularly pediatric are also good answers.

I have very seldom been asked when I was if they were polite I would answer if not since they wouldn't listen to me anyway I just ignore them.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I met a Dobe baby the other week at my vets, her owner had brought her in for her ears to be posted as he hadnt a clue as to what to do. I thought she was a beautiful girl and admit commented on her ears, though only to enquire where she was from as the region we live in catagorically ban all cropping and docking, (still happens but under the table so to speak which makes it all the sadder because now vets can't do it so hacks have a go instead). Her owner told me she was from Galicia, (northern Spain) and to be honest he started getting a bit defensive about it. I told him I had a Dobe who was docked but not cropped and whilst I like to see a Dobe looking natural I can appreciate a nicely done crop and more than that appreciate a good owner taking care of his dog. He relaxed a little then and we chatted and he admitted to me he hadnt expected the animosity his girl received from people mainly because of her breed but also because she was cropped and docked. He told me someone told him that it makes them mean, that was why it was done. I said I was surprised, because by repeating that they are actually advocating Dobes are not mean until they have their ears cropped.
He was called into the vets as was I so I couldnt arrange with him to bring his dog along to my friends for playdates with her dogs and of course Toby, but the Vets did hand him my friends card with regards training, so who knows we might meet again and Toby might get to play with a girlie dobe.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I like the circumcision one too :) I also say beauty is pain with a wink and a smile ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts