Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CZ is 7 months old and is probably the most handsome Doberman that has ever lived. I think I may have failed to post his ears long enough though. They just aren't as strait as some of the other dobies in this forum.
What do you pros think? Should I start posting again or just be happy with the way they look now. He is certainly better looking than his owner in any case :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,833 Posts
He's young - go back to posts! Personally I think they could be a lot straighter - it's not the shape of the crop, but that they haven't been posted long enough. You can definitely get those ears a lot straighter with diligent posting. Don't leave them down except to clean them and dry them. Make sure your posts are very firm and straight and I think you'll be pleased with the results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started trying to post them again, but the posts don't stay in anymore. I find myself retaping every few hours. CZ will wipe his ears with his paws to loosen it and then shake his head until the posts are crooked and loose.
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Big Lil pup
7,306 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said here. Also, he looks slightly immature for a 7 month old. No slight intended. Dogs of the same breed (and even the same breeder) mature differently.

I he still teething? Although not the norm, some pups continue teething well into their 7th month. That being said... Yeah put the ears back up. I am sure he doesn't mind at this point. LOL.

BTW, IMO, that is a really nice crop and a very handsome pup.

With regard to the posts coming out at the base: Not everyone will agree with me, but as the bell, base and lower front cartilage appear to be well formed, I would simply cut the rods off well below the ear fold. This works best if the ears are bridged. This has worked well for me. I would also continue to support the tips with mole foam or Breath Rite strips once you have decided to stop posting

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
you can probably use thicker/longer posts now. A bridge helps sometimes. What posting method do you use?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know, I have also been a bit worried about his size. To me, he sometimes look more like a bitch that a dog. Everyone keeps telling me that he is perfectly normal. At our lat vet appt. The doc actually said he was on the high side of average for his age. Of course, I want a dog who at full grown is exactly 27 1/2 inches - no more and no less, lol.
BTW - thanks for the advice.
I am googling "bridge on doberman ear crop posting" right now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Could you show us a photo with him posted?

What diameter foam rods are you using? At that age I was using the 5/8" diameter for my boy as the 1/2" diameter was definitely too small and this helped to keep the posts in.

Like some others have said, a bridge should help as well. I always used one. However, you don't need to have the ears perfectly straight up when bridging - if the bridge supports them at an approximate 10:00 to 11:00 and 1:00 to 2:00 position this is fine, as it will still allow him to use his ear muscles when he wants to stand his ears completely straight up. The bridge just stabilizes the ears somewhat, but it also does not have to be a really thick and ridged large amount of tape like you might see sometimes!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I am using Mcdonalds straws wrapped in gauze, taped and back-roll taped. I have no idea what diameter it is. I would post a pic, but right now his head looks like a mummy dog due to my attempts to repair posts without completely redoing the whole postings as I am running out of tape. I think I'll try the tampon method tomorrow after a run to the store for more tape.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,240 Posts

·
Big Lil pup
7,306 Posts
You know, I have also been a bit worried about his size. To me, he sometimes look more like a bitch that a dog. Everyone keeps telling me that he is perfectly normal. At our lat vet appt. The doc actually said he was on the high side of average for his age. Of course, I want a dog who at full grown is exactly 27 1/2 inches - no more and no less, lol.
BTW - thanks for the advice.
I am googling "bridge on doberman ear crop posting" right now.
"I want a dog who at full grown is exactly 27 1/2 inches - no more and no less"

I know you are joking but, please don't be concerned about his size. Especially with your vet's conformation. We have beautiful two males from the same well respected breeder. The 6 yo is perfect at 65-70 lb. and 25 inches at the withers. The pup who turned 10 month old today is 2 + inches taller at about 80lb.

Hey, I'm 5'8" and my dad was 6'1"!

·
Registered
157 Posts
The bridge just stabilizes the ears somewhat, but it also does not have to be a really thick and ridged large amount of tape like you might see sometimes!!
I meant "rigid"!!

Reactions: Artemis

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has now been a few hours since I reposted his ears and they are still in place (mostly). I think he wore himself out trying to shake it off. I taped all the way around his neck this time for stability. It's a bit much isnt it? By the way, that is a bean bag kitty in his arms - that he actually picks up in his mouth and takes to wherever he wants to sleep. By the way again - I just received his OFA eye certificate and his preliminary heart certification in the mail. He is a healthy young man :) I hope his ears look good in time for the Carolina Classic next week. If any of you guys will be there, please let me know so I can say hello.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Definitely more tape than you need! I'd take a look at the method rosemary posted. For the bridge some people use popsicle sticks, when i did a bridge for Nadia I would simply use a thicker band of tape.

·
Big Lil pup
7,306 Posts
Definitely more tape than you need! I'd take a look at the method rosemary posted. For the bridge some people use popsicle sticks, when i did a bridge for Nadia I would simply use a thicker band of tape.
@ mksor

I am going to chime in here. At this point in time, less is better. Artemis mentioned popsicle sticks for bridging. I use tongue depressors, which can also be purchased at a craft store. Your boy's ears are great. They just need a little more support.

Less tape.

BTW, i watched the "Ears by Bill" video, that you were using as your guideline. One can always learn new things. Its very good. He reminds me of my mentor 40+ years ago. A Doberman judge, a well respected DMV and one of the best croppers in the PNW.

Interestingly, Bill gave the same advice that I gave you a day or so ago: If the posts pop out at the base, simply trim them low and below the fold until the next posting.

John
Portland OR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts