Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I took Rush out for our nightly walk and we came across a man walking a mop on a leash and a jack russell off leash. Once the mop saw us it went crazy and my son had Rush sit as this man was blocking the sidewalk while. I walked up to the man and asked him to move and to put his jack russell on a leash. He looked at me like I wasn't there. Again I asked politely and he said it's ok. Well too many time I have heard this from owners of mops and they have snapped or bitten Rush on the lip. Again I was ignored. I then told him to get his F'n mop out of the way and to put the jack russell, who was now pooping on the grass on the leash. He then said, I have a doberman so it's ok. I then responded, "I feel sorry for that dog because obviously you are an irresponsible dog owner who #1 can't control the mop on the leash and allow your other dog to walk off leash." I continued my rant, "If either one of your dogs approach my dog I will make a football out of them if they come close to my dog and then I will get you in the balls." I turned and looked at my son and dog. Rush was looking up at my son as if to say, "Dad what's going on?" I said lets continue on our walk.

As I passed the man I said, "Don't forget to pick up your dog crap. I know you won't because you are irresponsible." I know he was wondering where I parked my broom but I just hate coming in contact with people like this.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kudos to you!!

I've had my share if encounters myself...

Almost drop kicked a senior rabid Dalmatian that was ALWAYS left out unleashed, no collar and unattended. Poor dog didn't even bother to move from oncoming cars. When it came down to the children of the house (whom was also unattended) trying to pull their dog away from me, I just had it from there. Come to find out it was a house full of maybe 2-3 families, I asked to speak to the homeowner and the crowd there stated that NONE off them lived there lol I almost got into it with some chola :rolleyesww: I threaten that of I saw that Dalmatian unleashed one more time, I would call animal control, for it was a danger to the neighborhood and to motorist trying to avoid hitting the poor dog.

Luckily the Dalmatian wasn't very aggressive, I would've really not like to kick the crap out of it. Zeus behaved very well and just let her sniff him while I was the nervous, agressive one lol

Reactions: KissNme

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
LOL - I bet he crosses the street with his dogs if he sees you again! :)

I rarely say anything to people like that. I just keep my dogs next to me and tell them to "Walk" and we pass right by them. My girls look at the crazy dog and that's about it. I don't react unless it's a dangerous situation (like if a small obnoxious dog actually gets close enough to make contact) because I don't want my dogs to think there's anything for them to react to. Don't know if it's right or wrong. It's just what I do.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Whilst the guy didnt have the Jack Russell on a leash he at least had the mop as you call it on one, so he was half right.

I kind of think you let yourself down there, oh don't get me wrong I have had my fair share of encounters with nasty little beggars and dopey owners. But I have found you rarely win with these sort of people and to be honest doing what you did in front of your son was probably not the best example you could have set.

But then I think you already know this, or why ask.

Don't mean to offend, you asked, I told.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I guess the last nip Rush got was still fresh in my mind and just couldn't get over the smug look on the mans face when I asked him to leash his dog n move so we could walk past. There was busy street on one side n wall of bushes on other.

Save to say that my 21 year old had no issues with my behavior as today he told me he has had encounters with this man before. Now I know to avoid this area.

No offense taken as I believe honesty is best policy!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Well I guess the last nip Rush got was still fresh in my mind and just couldn't get over the smug look on the mans face when I asked him to leash his dog n move so we could walk past. There was busy street on one side n wall of bushes on other.

Save to say that my 21 year old had no issues with my behavior as today he told me he has had encounters with this man before. Now I know to avoid this area.

No offense taken as I believe honesty is best policy!
Thanks.

Doh, didnt realise your son is a grown up.

I can appreciate this guy is acting like a moron, it wouldnt after all have hurt him to put his dog on a leash for the short time it would have taken you to walk past. Heck, if you look at it from a different side, he would probably have up and croaked if it was your dog unleashed, even if he didnt even look in his direction. Thing is if you take 99 small dog owners and ask them if they think their dog has a problem they will all say no even if the whole lot are slavering like they have rabies and attacking any other dog especially big ones the moment they see them.
Now I do not know what the rules are in your neck of the woods, but here we have to have all dogs leashed in public places unless it specifically says they can run around. (small dog owners do not think any of this applies to their little darlings but it does). As you intimated this was a public street perhaps next time you see this guy your son or yourself could video him walking his dog off leash and let the local authorities have a copy and let them speak to him the next time.

So glad I didnt offend you. :kiss:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you said what most of us have wanted to say at one time or another. Unfortunetaly you got the results we all would probably have gotten too. He seemed like the type who did as he wanted no matter the rules.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Toby's Human rarely do I take offense to anything that is said to me. I guess 25 years as a LEO I have thick skin. I've been called every name in the book!

Yes I do agree that most owners of little dogs in our area believe the rules do not apply to them. I will avoid this area and I will try and remember ur suggestion of video taping next time. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think you definitely should have said something to him, even though it wont change his behavior. I would have said something too. I have had to say something to the same old idiot in my neighborhood that likes to let her little weiner dog out to pee in her front yard with no leash instead of her FENCED IN back yard. Of course the little thing wants to come charging at Chevy barking like mad whenever we walk by. Chevy does have some dog aggression sometimes, especially when a dog is coming at us like that. She is a little reactive. The idiot lady just stands on her proch and literally screams at the top of her lungs while her dog runs at us. She doesnt call the dog's name, just screams. I have had to scoop the little thing up with my foot and kind of toss it back so it wouldnt try to bite Chevy because I know if it bit Chevy she would bite back and really hurt the little thing.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
I think your language was a little strong, but I agree with the sentiment behind it. My current Dobe can't roughouse with other dogs because of Wobblers, and my first Dobe was so dog aggressive he would have tried to kill another dog if it ran up to him, so I take off leash dogs pretty seriously.

I usually settle for warning people not to allow their off leash dogs to approach mine. If they really don't get the point, I have no problem telling them "look, if you don't keep your dog away from mine, I will make it leave." That usually solves the issue. I haven't had to actually kick a dog yet, although I have popped my leash at a few, and hit one with a hiking stick. Not hard, mind, but the owner was setting her Golden up for a huge vet bill if he kept trying to get to Logan. A tap with a stick was, I'm assuming, preferable to my dog putting hers in the e-vet's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This would be a great example of "when keeping it real goes wrong".

You should have just crossed the street. Instead you set yourself up to be assaulted by some guy and his "mop"...btw what exactly is that?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@conspiracy crossing street was not an option due to heavy traffic with all folks speeding home. As being hit by a car isn't the way I want to go. Being assaulted by the man wasnt a concern of mine. Having my dog bitten again was my primary concern as the last unleashed dog we came across left 2 puncture wounds before I could grab it off my boy Rush. I will never allow this to happen again.

Have no idea what kind of dog it was other then med size dog that looked like old school mop which my grandmother used. I knew it wasn't a mop because it was jerking the mans arm violently trying to get at my dog.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Honestly...would I have said anything like that to someone? No. Have there been plenty of times that I would love to? Heck yes. I think we have all encountered similiar morons who have no respect for other people. My biggest reason for usually staying polite is that my young children are always with me and I'm trying to be a good example. Sometimes being a responsible adult is no fun LOL

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I was driving down my street and a man was walking his 2 dogs off leash ...I stopped my car and rolled the window down and told him in our county we had a leash law and to make sure his dogs were on leash when he was walking them. I told him I was a dog owner and my dog doesn't roam the streets..........he looked at me like who are you but at least I told him. I haven't seen them since.Yes in this case I would have told the man.......

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I was visiting my Grandmothers grave with my mother. As we tidied around it I noticed a huge pile of dog poo. I was fuming, whilst my mother was greatly distressed. Just as I went to get some paper to pick it up and put it in the bin a man came walking through the graveyard with his Spaniel. Up it trotted and squatted right next to my grandmothers grave.
I let out a shout and ran at the dog scaring it away.
Up storms the man and a huge argument ensued, it got so heated my aged mother thought he was going to hit me, however, thanks to the fact that I am not a small woman and am more than capable or at least I look it of giving as good as I get he simply turned around and stormed off.
I immediately went to the Cemetry office and complained.
Apparently they knew of the man and his dog but said there was nothing they could do about it.
A few weeks later I was back and so was he, up trots his dog, sniffs at my Grandmothers grave and all hell broke loose. His dog was sneezing like there was no tomorrow. I had put down pepper so when the dog sniffed he got a nose full.

Not a nice thing to do I grant you, but neither is letting a dog desecrate a grave by crapping on it.

Grrrrr there are some people in this world who just have no consideration for others or their feelings.

Fast forward a couple of years and I was visiting my Grandmothers and now my Mothers grave and there in the cemetry were a group of youths racing their cars around the roadways between the plots.
I called the police and they told me because it is private property they couldnt do anything about them, the Cemetry people didnt want to know either or so it seemed.
It just seems there is no respect in the world nowadays, either for people walking their dogs and meeting up with people who do not have control of their animals. Folk walking their dogs in areas not meant for them or kids racing their cars up and down doing handbrake turns within feet of gravestones.
There is something seriously wrong with this world and the more I see of it the more I love being on my mountain where I do not have to be part of it, at least not as much as some of you guys have to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts