Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet just called this morning. The test that they took on 12/1/11 finally came back.

Normal von Willebrand's factor is between 70%-180%. Abnormal is 35%-50%.

Dexter's is 6%.

:cry:

We've postponed his neuter that he was supposed to have this Thursday, because now the surgeon has to perform it using laser/cauterization. And, Dexter has to have cryoprecipitate before the surgery. We're putting it off as long as we can so we can save up some money.

It's amazing that we haven't noticed any issues. He's had a few scrapes, and bled a bit when his baby canines came out, and he's been fine for all his blood draws. I'm probably going to be the paranoid mother from now on.

I want to find that stupid puppy mill "breeder" Dexter was rescued from and punch him in the face.

Anyone else deal with factors this low?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
If it were me the first thing I would do is get the *right* test done. You just wasted your money on a test that no doberman person would bother with because it's notoriously unreliable. Sorry :(
The good news is the *right* test is less expensive and you can do it yourself. The other good news is even if your dog does turn out to be affected, not all affected dogs are clinically affected. Actually very few are clinically affected. Of course if they ARE, it's something to be aware of and concerned about.

VetGen: Veterinary Genetic Services - Canine - List of Services - vWD-Type I

·
Registered
841 Posts
Our 5 year old bitch, Juno, had the same issue. I will say that as a puppy she had her ears cropped, tail done, she's cut her foot, etc, without issue, She even recently managed to jab a stick in her foot, the bleeding stopped quickly.

When we spayed her recently (at 5 years of age), her factor was 10%, we gave her the shot you mention plus she got 1.5 bags of plasma. The vet did a toenail cut to check bleeding time, and it was acceptable at the time. I'm certainly no expert, but I trust my vet and I will say that Juno recovered very quickly. It's quite possible that she'd have been fine without the plasma (I really don't know), but I like to think that if she was that low, getting plasma helped her recover easier and faster. Her big issue was that she couldn't play!!

I will say that Juno wore that cone 100% of the time! I was so afraid that she'd rip a stitch if I looked away for even a second, and then start bleeding uncontrollably. Her sad begging looks did not deter me, I made her wear it ALL of the time.

BTW: Jewels bled quite a bit when she lost her teeth, and she's vWD clear. I've heard that most Dobies never develop clinical symptoms, but I'm still very cautious with Juno.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping that the blood test he had was "off" and will get the DNA test done and that will show for sure whether he's affected or a carrier. It won't change the course of treatment, but I'd like to know.

Are there any homeopathic treatments to get the factors up?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
homoepathic remedies are chosen according to the 'character' of the blood and bleeding...for post op seepage - Strontia...........active haemorrhage, bright red - Nitric Acid......... etc.
There are remedies that will help after a bleeding episode too, depending on the individuals 'symptoms'.

as far as i know there is not a specific remedy to improve the vwd factor itself before surgery.

it would be worth asking a Homoepathic Vet or MD though.

http://www.thehomeopathiccoach.com/blog/treating-bleeding-with-homeopathy.html

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
The Vetgen test will tell you exactly if he's affected or a carrier but as the others said neuter surgeries usually go just fine in any event. I had a dog with vWd too and during his neuter he did just fine. Did not need cryoprecipatate.

Good luck, Tracy and Mariah

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If it were me the first thing I would do is get the *right* test done. You just wasted your money on a test that no doberman person would bother with because it's notoriously unreliable.
While this does not absolutely identify genetic status, it certainly indicates that this dog might well have had clotting issues on the day the test was done... I would not consider that a waste of money. In a surgical context, I think that clotting ability would be more important to know than genetic status.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
While this does not absolutely identify genetic status, it certainly indicates that this dog might well have had clotting issues on the day the test was done... I would not consider that a waste of money. In a surgical context, I think that clotting ability would be more important to know than genetic status.
That can be done right before surgery to see how they are clotting at that time, because it can vary. An elisa test still doesn't tell you that anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have some Arnica at home already, at the advice of a Golden owner and Dexter's puppy trainer when he had his first bout of lameness before we knew it was pano.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Dont go by that Elssa test. Its NOT accurate do the DNA test, then bring the results to your vet and tell them to update their file.If he comes back a carrier he will be fine for a surgery. Aswell as get them to give you Vit K everyday a week before a surgery .If he's affected It will help clot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much everyone. Someone else reminded me of VetNostic and I ordered Dexter's kit this morning. It's nice that they only charge $25 up front and the other $40 when the testing is complete. VetGen's price if you get the test by itself is $140 - what a rip off!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts