Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I noticed Zeus's dewclaw scar area looks swollen and weird. I took him in a couple of months ago because I noticed the area looked red, and they put him on prednisone and another medication whose name I can't remember. The vet said that if it looks worse to bring him back. It's been a while since he finished his meds, and his paw didn't look any worse until today. He's not favoring his paw or licking any more than usual... but the vet office is closed due to the holiday and the next available appointment isn't until the 21st! Do you think this is an emergency vet situation? I'm going to call his regular vet office tomorrow to see if I can do a drop off where they'll keep him for a day and see him in between appointments so I don't have to wait two weeks. Any advice is appreciated. Has anyone had issues with the dewclaw spot? He's 3 years old and it was removed before we even got him and hasn't given us any troubles until now.

·
Premium Member
8,825 Posts
See those little black dots in the center of the hair follicle.
Look real close…..zoom in.
Beginning of a granulation lick IMO.
But vet will know for sure so glad you have an appointment and on the books.
When you look real close those black specs that is a folicle (now inflamed follicle).
Ugg…..ingrown hairs , that upsets the hair follicle ….that causes follicle inflammation.
The hair try’s to grow but cannot….you get the idea.
Dogs are sneaky lickers and it doesn’t take to many licks further the inflammation.
When festered …those follicles then develop into infections bacterial, etc., …that need to be treated.
Every lick will set you back so first……you must prevent ANY further licking.
Call vet again and check on a refill the on recent meds you mentioned …just ask vet to give you something to get you through till the next available appointment date.
Sometimes if the vet know your dog well enough …..they will make exceptions on meds just to keep things under control To the consult.
Also consider sending your vet a PIC of this condition…..a nice close up shot!
I do that and sometimes and my vet will get me in sooner versus later especially when they get a close up of your clinical concern.
Thats all I can think of for now…

·
Big Lil pup
7,019 Posts
I agree with Di. From the one picture, it does look like an acral lick granuloma starting out. It's in a typical area and while not an emergency, if it is a lick granuloma, you cannot let it go. They only get worse and beyond a certain point they can be terribly difficult to treat. The problem, is that what starts out as a minor irritation, becomes an obsession with the dog. It plays right into the Doberman's tendency towards OCD. So, this type of wound should be treated as both a physical and a psychological issue.

Of course, as this is simply a lame internet observation on my part, it may be something entirely different. In which case....Never mind.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @LadyDi and @4x4bike ped for your input! My husband and I both work during the day, so while I said I haven't seen him licking...he probably could be at it while we're at work. Ugh, my poor doberboy! I worry that if he's put back on prednisone, he'll have potty issues while we're not home. Guess it's a good thing we bought those belly band things that we used at night when he was on it because there's no one able to come to let him out. Hopefully the vet can get him in sooner than his appointment. I'll keep yall posted. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
22,591 Posts
Can you put a camera on him to see if he is, in fact, licking? Because I'd want to know if he is...either something about that spot was bothering him, and he started licking as a result, or....he caused the issue in the first place by licking. That, of course, is hard to say, but...I'd really want to know if he's licking it. You'd want to put a stop to that immediately. Lick granuloma is kind of...nightmarish.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you put a camera on him to see if he is, in fact, licking? Because I'd want to know if he is...either something about that spot was bothering him, and he started licking as a result, or....he caused the issue in the first place by licking. That, of course, is hard to say, but...I'd really want to know if he's licking it. You'd want to put a stop to that immediately. Lick granuloma is kind of...nightmarish.
Yes we do have a camera. Whenever I check on him while at work he's usually asleep in his kennel. I'll make it a point to check more often tomorrow. Today, he hasn't licked at it at all. He's been with me all day like the velcro dog he is.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uuughgh and after I posted my reply...I caught him licking at it. 😫😫😫 Could we wrap it with something to keep him from getting to it when we're not home? Though then I feel like he might chew it off.

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
I just took a good look at the picture and I think that he may be licking the area because they evidently left a pretty substantial bone stub when the dew claw was removed. I've seen them grow back (and usually all that means is you get a fairly distorted looking partial dew claw which then needs to be removed) but that may be why he started licking the area. Check the other side and does the remainder of the bone that would have been the inboard end of the dew look the same on both sides?

I think I'd want the vet to be aware of the possiblity of that kind of thing happening before they just start throwing meds to keep him from licking it.

Good luck...and keep us posted. Thanks.

dobebug

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to get him into the vet today! So, the last time I took him in for this issue a couple of months ago, the vet advised me that she'd want to do a biopsy if the area did not get better. It did improve until yesterday. His usual vet wasn't there today, but the one that we saw viewed her notes and said they would take a biopsy. Then, after consulting with another vet, they decided they would remove the entire mass instead of just cutting a piece of it and send it off for a biopsy. They're not putting him on medication but did say I could put a cone on him to keep him from licking. I didn't buy one from the vet. Gonna see if I can find something less massive than what they offered. His surgery date isn't until the 28th of this month. I'm already super worried! Worried about him having the procedure and being put under anesthesia. Worried about what the biopsy may say. This dog is my heart!! I can't stand the thought that something might be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
22,591 Posts
I totally get that worry...it's so hard when they have stuff like this done. I'll be thinking about you both.

With the cone, just keep an eye that he can't get around the end of it to lick - I know when my old boy, Simon, had a lick granuloma on his paw, he could reach that paw unless the cone was really long because he could reach past the end of the cone. It was tough for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,825 Posts
MC is right! These pups love meat even their own!!!
Gotta ace is the prevention of licking.
Hoss had to use cones for a back leg issue.
His legs are so long he could still get his leg into the cone unless the cone set higher on his neck.
Kong Cones are great and are Velcro!!!! Easy on and off With Velcro.
I used a towel to form what looked like a cervical collar.
That was placed on Hoss first.
Then would put the cone on after the towel ..cervical collar …was on Hoss’s neck.
This cervical towel set up allowed the cone to set higher on Hoss’s neck…the cone now would set just below the ears. That towel gave us the extra inches to extend the length of the cone.
That did the trick.
Ha out smarted a Dober…..human wins……..as Hoss could not get to the wounds that needed to heal.

·
Premium Member
8,825 Posts
Gamer here is just one example of the cervical collar using a towel….more example on youtube.

Now I used this technique along with a Kong Cone……chewy has them will find a pic…..the velcro attachment is easy on and off…..nothing on the cone is tied on…..all Velcro.
Velcro makes it so easy to remove when you want to give them a break while under human supervision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts