Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts
If there is any way you can get your boy to a cardiologist- GO! GO NOW! Congestion is fluid in his lungs from his heart not pumping strongly enough, and he can literally drown in it.

My boy was diagnosed with DCM last week. He started coughing Monday night and Tuesday morning I was sitting at my vet waiting for him to open. He listened to Bud's heart and said Bud needed more than he could do. I googled dog cardiologists and started calling. Two were willing to see Bud that day as an emergency. I drove the 2hrs and was there by 4pm Tues.

They put my boy on Vetmedin, lasix, melaxatine, and enalapril. Then I called a nutritionist who works with dogs and they advised I add CoQ10, Carnatine, Taurine, Magnesium and fresh or canned salmon. My boys turn around has been amazing. He was not wanting to eat and now he is eating 5 or 6 boiled chicken breasts everyday. His cough is 99% gone. You can't beat DCM, but you can fight it. You can fight for more quality time. I highly recommend you seek out the advice of a expert if you can.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
If there is any way you can get your boy to a cardiologist- GO! GO NOW! Congestion is fluid in his lungs from his heart not pumping strongly enough, and he can literally drown in it.

My boy was diagnosed with DCM last week. He started coughing Monday night and Tuesday morning I was sitting at my vet waiting for him to open. He listened to Bud's heart and said Bud needed more than he could do. I googled dog cardiologists and started calling. Two were willing to see Bud that day as an emergency. I drove the 2hrs and was there by 4pm Tues.

They put my boy on Vetmedin, lasix, melaxatine, and enalapril. Then I called a nutritionist who works with dogs and they advised I add CoQ10, Carnatine, Taurine, Magnesium and fresh or canned salmon. My boys turn around has been amazing. He was not wanting to eat and now he is eating 5 or 6 boiled chicken breasts everyday. His cough is 99% gone. You can't beat DCM, but you can fight it. You can fight for more quality time. I highly recommend you seek out the advice of a expert if you can.
what is the dosage of lasix if your boy is getting and are you going to have frequent blood tests to check electrolyte levels? we are headed this route I think but am worried about lyte. I wonder if there is a doggy version of pedolyte. Also, are you restricting water intake?

Discussion starter · #44 ·
what is the dosage of lasix if your boy is getting and are you going to have frequent blood tests to check electrolyte levels? we are headed this route I think but am worried about lyte. I wonder if there is a doggy version of pedolyte. Also, are you restricting water intake?
Edit** I am also expliring my options as far as a cardiologist. I cant miss work because I need to be able to pay for our surmounting vet bills... I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Another $250 for the ECG this coming friday and two weeks worth of meds cost $140... and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Right now my boy is on 200mg total of lasix a day. They are hoping we can lower it some more. He was also given a shot of lasix immediately when we got there. I am not sure how often they will do blood work, we go back this week.

She said the lasix will make him thirsty and make him have to pee which it has. She did say to watch him for dehydration when we started the lasix, so I haven't limited his water at all.

I hope they find the right mix of drugs to help your boy.

Right now my boy is on 200mg total of lasix a day. They are hoping we can lower it some more. He was also given a shot of lasix immediately when we got there. I am not sure how often they will do blood work, we go back this week.

She said the lasix will make him thirsty and make him have to pee which it has. She did say to watch him for dehydration when we started the lasix, so I haven't limited his water at all.

I hope they find the right mix of drugs to help your boy.
Do NOT limit water on lasix , its hard on the kidney's and the need lots of water.
Also give him a banana once a week for the potassium .the lasix robs that aswell. And yes use pydelite water as often as possible.
200 mg coQ10 a day too will help with the contractability of his heart.
Good luck with him, my thoughts are with you both.

I'm so sorry to hear about your boy. Good luck with your boy, you are doing everything that you can and enjoy your boy and give (and get) lots of kisses and dober-pokes! I wish and am praying for your boy's health and that the meds begin working quickly. Keep us posted.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
We've had a pretty good day so far, including a trip to the parents and to the pet store. Cooper has a massive bully stick to keep him preoccupied. I got a little kit to make a paw print plaque, so he will get to become an artist too! Just one more amazing thing about this dog. I forgot to mention I have been in contact with me breeder and she has been more then helpful and supportive. SHe found me some medication for free--a person she knows just went through DCM with their Dobe and ordered a large amount of the same medication we are using, but they didnt have time to use it all :(

Sounds like you are being the best dobermoma you can and making each day a happy one for your boy. Best wishes to all of you.:)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner regarding dosages.
Homer is on the following,
Vetmedin 5mg One twice a day
Frusemide (lasix) 40mg Two twice a day
Spironolactone 100mg (another diuretic) One once a day
Fortekor 20mg 1/2 once a day
He really perked up once he was on his tablets, fingers crossed that Cooper responds as well as Homer seems to have.

Homers exercise is restricted to 20 mins lead walk a day :( but he still gets to do his favourite thing which is dober nose pokes down the rabbit holes.:D
We try to make his life as comfortable & enjoyable as possible so if this damn disease is going to take him while he's doing zoomies or sniffing down a rabbit hole then at least we'll know he went doing something he loved & didn't suffer.

I loved the pictures of him especially the wedding ones :)
Hugs to your beautiful boy

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Thanks for all the kind replies everyone! Coopers energy levels seemed to perked up a bit more today, and he was more quiet last night.
The breeder is sending us a swab test which she said she will pay for just to get more information on his litter. She has been in contact with Dr. Meurs and has been forwarding all of converstaions to me. If his test comes back negative, they are hoping to aslo get a blood sample for research purposes. If nothing else we will hopefully have a hand in moving research forward.

We also had a converstaion in regards to the breed and we were talking about Dobes and all of the health issues that they have and why breeders and owners love them so much in spite of this; Something she said really hit home: the Doberman has a humaness to them which many other breeds lack, we can connect with them on a deeper level

I am going out of town for work for the next three days and have made the decision to take Cooper with me. I stay with my inlaws when I am out of town, so he wont be alone at all. Hubby and I are both working nightshift this week, so he will have someone to cuddle him 24 hours a day, and his medication at 5 am and 5 pm on the dot.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
ECG and possible med adjustment tomorrow. Took Cooper out of town with me for work for the past three days, I honestly cannot tell that this dog is sick besides an increase in repirations when laying down (but he doesnt sound moist or congested anymore). AND it is impossible to tell a almost five male doberman (who was the most energetic of a litter of 12) to s l o w d o w n!
Trying to limit his "excited" type of play and exercise and restrict to romps in the yard and leash walks. Appetite is normal, not dropping weight, no temperment change. Maybe a slight decrease in energy, but this is hard to tell, because he wants to do we his people are doing at all times, and we have been spoiling him rotten. He has been sleeping on the bed:rolleyesww:
Hopefully appointment goes okay tomorrow.

Great news that Cooper is doing well, sounds like the Vetmedin is doing its job:nicejob:

I know where you're coming from regarding keeping him calm. Homer still acts like the crazy idiot he's always been & doesn't think he's ill at all :D

ECG and possible med adjustment tomorrow. Took Cooper out of town with me for work for the past three days, I honestly cannot tell that this dog is sick besides an increase in repirations when laying down (but he doesnt sound moist or congested anymore). AND it is impossible to tell a almost five male doberman (who was the most energetic of a litter of 12) to s l o w d o w n!
Trying to limit his "excited" type of play and exercise and restrict to romps in the yard and leash walks. Appetite is normal, not dropping weight, no temperment change. Maybe a slight decrease in energy, but this is hard to tell, because he wants to do we his people are doing at all times, and we have been spoiling him rotten. He has been sleeping on the bed:rolleyesww:
Hopefully appointment goes okay tomorrow.
I've got my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

Discussion starter · #58 ·
ECG done today, get results tomorrow after vet does her consult. Apparently his heart murmus sounds much less prononced and the vet is quite happy with his medication regime. As he does not have any fluids backing up in the lungs, there is no need for a diuretic-yet.
I cant believe how well behaved and tolerent our boy is, he stands so quietly for the vet, is so friendly, and well behaved, even when they took him away for the xray and other tests, no sedation needed and they were done in a flash. I secretly think he is enjoying all of the attention.
It looks like we might be able to take him on a few camping trips after all, this year *fingers crossed*

Discussion starter · #59 ·
update

So, Cooper had another checkup and ECG on Friday. Vet called me back yesterday as the Cardiologist was reviewing all of the results, and vet called him late last night as she had not heard form them, so she called at 0830 from home.
Coopers heart murmur is much less noticable, and his ECG, apparently, looks pretty normal--a small victory on our end. Apparently his heart enlargement, according to the cardiologist, isnt quite as large as the vet first thought.
The laboured breathing while laying down has everyone a little stumped. His respirations become quicker and shallower when laying down, and the increased effort only happens on exhalation, he can breathe in very deeply. But here is the issue: There are no signs of congestion: NO sounds of fluid in the lungs, NO cough what-so-ever, and NO moist sounds to the respirations, and the breathing changes very quickly from minute to minute, and postion to position. Currently Cooper is laying by my feet, his resps are slow and quiet.
Cardiologist is suggesting maybe SOMETHING ELSE entirely is going on. He suggested a trachial flush to send away for C&S, but the vet isnt to keen to do this as there are no clinical signs of infection, another option is COPD, but again there is NO cough... I am wondering if the engarged heart could be pressing on the trachia when Cooper is laying down? Has anyone with experience heard of this?
On another note, I found 10" bully sticks at our Co-op for $2.49 and 40% off! Spoiled boy.
I am still communicating with my Breeder on almost a daily basis via email. She is one wonderful lady.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.