Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made this post: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/66495-another-dcm-thread.html
and thought I would start another beacause I want comments and input on some new infomation. Anyways, my wonderful soon to be 5 year old Dobie Boy Cooper, had started breathing heavier when he layed on his side. He is so healthy happy and active other-wise that we thought is could have been due to the fact that he got a little chubby over the winter. Then on monday he collapsed while racing around the yard like a mad man; he went down and couldnt get up. his gums were white, heart rate elevated and breathing very rapidly. We finally got him into the vet today :/
Vet listened to his lungs, said they sounded fine, but detected a faint murmur, no big deal. Vet was ready to call it a quits.
I say, no, watch when he lays down. Vet listens, "he isnt getting good air entry to the bases and rapid shallow breathing". Vet says he is just deep chested, lungs cant expand while laying down. Vet ready to call visit a quits.
I ask for a chst X-ray. We look at the xray, Coopers "heart is enlarged and he has fibrous lungs of a ten year old dog". Looking at xrays online, to me it looked like fluid. Vet doesnt say anything after that.
I ask for blood work, blood work drawn, and because we live rurally, wont have results till tomorrow as blood is curriered off to another town for testing. Vet still doesnt say much of anything mentions some heart medication. Cant really answer any of my questions. I was prepared for a Diagnosis of DCM. I know what I knew when I went in there. I dont think I will get an actual diagnosis from the vet, but I am hoping for some kind words and some opinions from the doberman community.
Cooper is happy, playing and being a goofball. He did look at me with eyes saying "Mom, they stuck something up my butt, and you let them do it!" He is tiring easily, and panting... Im frustrated at the vet, and everything feels a little surreal but I have a feeling I wont have my boy for long...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear this.

In my opinion, your best course of action (if you have the ability and can bear the expense) is to get your dog to a cardiologist even if you have to pack lunch to get there. It is possible that after an initial consult or two, a cardiologist would be able to work in conjunction with your regular vet to provide appropriate care and management for your dog. If he is collapsing and has labored breathing, my feeling is that if you are able to do this, you should do it quickly.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I am so sorry you are not getting the answers you want, I know how frustrating that can be. I hope that you can find someone else better than who you are working with now, someone with more experience.

My thought are with you and cooper.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aw, he is beautiful. Sorry to hear about the situation. My first reaction is that he has some edema in his lungs, probably caused by congestive heart failure. Just like you suspect. Something is not right and his heart is not pumping efficiently which is causing his labored breathing. Get him to a cardiologist who can give you a good diagnosis and the appropriate medicine and dosage.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Great photos! He is so handsome, even in his purple tutu hahahah!
The wedding photo is priceless :)

If you're still in touch with your breeder, I'd probably give them an update on Cooper. Fingers crossed he will be ok.

Dober hugs to Cooper...

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are discussing our options. The nearest dog cardiologist is some 8 hours away. We are planning to talk to the vet tomorrow when the vet calls with blood results, because I am guessing we need a referral and cannot just call the cardiologist for an appointment. It is going to be really tough, hubby and I both work shift work and I work out of town, and we are also not rolling in money right now as I have jsut recently finished school and have started to pay back my student loans, but the number one priority is keeping our boy comfortable. We gave him a "new" old knotted t-shirt today, he is in heaven with his new toy :) He definately doesnt have expensive taste. He is tired, but playful. We even just played the stalking game where he takes like ten minutes to cross the yard because he is "stalking me". Man I love this dog...

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
I'm shocked that it was you that had to ask the vet for an xray & blood tests. I would've thought with the symptoms you presented with an xray & blood tests would've been the first thing he would've done. Has the vet got Cooper on any medication yet?

Before Homer's diagnosis he was very restless & wouldn't lay down at all. He couldn't lay on his side & adopted a "sphinx position". Even then he still couldn't settle. Once he got his on his medication he was much more comfortable & him (and us) could finally get some sleep:D

We are now 26 days into our fight with DCM & so far so good. He tires quite easily & his colour goes a bit paler than normal but he's yet to go white. He still enjoys his food & loves his toys, in fact he's on a mission at the moment to completely destroy it while he's got the energy:)

I felt just like you, that I wouldn't have my boy for too long but he's hanging on in there & so are we. This disease will beat us all in the end, just take it one day at a time. Let us know what the vet says.

Hugs to Cooper & you

1 - 20 of 61 Posts