Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive been taking my boy for walks every day and recently have been taking him up and down stairs to help develope his muscles, walking, jogging and soon i will be taking him swiming alot too, are all these exercise good for developing muscle growth and are they safe inyour opinion?
I would also apreciate it alot if you could recomend some other exercise and hopefully foods that feed and help to remend and keep developing his muscles? I ask this because having both my dogs separated, my x girlfriend took care of one of them whilst they were separated and neglected one of them which i now have, well in realityit was meant to be hers but once she couldnt deal with it the immature woman! didnt want the responsability so i took over and now ive been doing everything i can and spending a lot of time with him but my main goal at the moment is to get him fit and put on the muscle he lost in the period of time he was away from me.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think your vet is your best point of reference here. If you feel that pup has been neglected, then get him straight to the vet and make sure he is up to date w/ shots, heartworm meds, etc. Vet will give his/her professional opinion whether an exercise regime is necessary.

At 13 mos your boy still isn't full grown. Regular walks, runs at the dog park, frisbee/fetch play will naturally build up your dog's muscles. As in everything, moderation is the key. The last thing you want to do is over-exert your pet and then have to deal with shin problems due to long runs on hard pavement, etc.

Java goes to the dog park each day and on a 45-min walk with me in the am. On the weekend she goes for a run a day w/ another dog. They chase through the park for a good solid hour, only stopping to get a drink from a water bottle or to chase a squirrel up a tree, then off she and Max go. None of this exercise is forced - she comes home, empties her water bowl and then naps for a good two solid hours. All we have to say is 'Do you want to go running with Max' and the ears go up, the nub wags and she is on her feet ready to go. These runs keep her in top form, physically and mentally.

A healthy diet will do the rest. I try to give my Dobe as little processed food as possible. Brown rice, chicken (legs and thighs - I boil them for stock and remove the bones), canned tuna (limited), canned salmon, carrots, leftover veggies (not spinach - too much iron), plain yogurt, sweet potatoes. A hard-boiled or scrambled egg added every other am to keep her coat gleaming.

Your dog's mental health is as important as any physical neglect you feel he might have experienced. Keep socializing him a bit every day. Training will build his confidence in himself and in you. He is still young - let him be a puppy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts