Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our precious 9 year old male Doberman, Titan, a couple weeks ago, started to tremor in his left back leg. After about a week of this, he did not want to run or get up (not normal for him). It was overnight that he didn’t want to get up or put weight on his left back leg. We took him to our Vet and she said to try an NSAID, Previcox, and no activity over the weekend. Our first thought was a possible ACL/ ligament tear.

Titan didn’t improve over the weekend and we felt his condition worsened. He didn’t want to move or go outside. When we were trying to help him down the stairs he whined as if he was in pain.

Our Vet sedated Titan today and performed various tests and x-rays. She said his left knee felt stable and had no “extra movement”. In her opinion, the ACL wasn’t the issue.

One if her deductions was she noticed increased bone density on his hip (ileum), and stated he may have a bone tumor.

Another possibility is Wobbler’s. She stated when she manipulated his foot, he didn’t realize it was turned. She stated the “nerves” in his legs may not be functioning.

The next step is sending the x-rays to a Radiologist to determine if it is a tumor. She put him on a steroid, Prednisone, and a pain medication, Tramadol (50mg). We are going to wait it out until we hear the Radiologist results.

Since bringing him home from the x-rays, he cannot get comfortable, can’t walk (left leg is nonresponsive), and is continuously whining.

Is there any other theories out there as to what he may be suffering from? My husband and I are feeling helpless and saddened that he can’t move. He is confused and frustrated because he is an active Doberman. More importantly, can he recover? We will try anything and everything to help Titan and not have him suffer. Watching him suffer and not be able to walk, run or play is devastating, and we are desperate to find a treatment for Titan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated beyond words. Thanks.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Ccarlson, welcome to the forum, though I'm sorry you found us under such upsetting circumstances.

There are a lot of knowledgeable members here, but a lot of it would just be pure guesswork until the radiologist gets results to you guys.

Was bloodwork done, too? (Sorry if I missed that.)

We would love to see Titan, if you can post some pics of him.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
i'm so sorry about your boy, its horrible to watch a loved family member going through something like that.

I would recommend waiting on the radiologist at this point. I hope that you can spoil and keep him comfortable until then.

Please post some photos!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Leg tremor

I don't know if you are able to take him to a chiropractor and not sure at this point especially if it is a bone tumor that it would help but if it is caused by a pinched nerve then the chiro could certainly give him great improvement.

I take my dogs off and on and becasue they are working dogs so they do get injured sometimes. You may PM me if you have questions.

Our precious 9 year old male Doberman, Titan, a couple weeks ago, started to tremor in his left back leg. After about a week of this, he did not want to run or get up (not normal for him). It was overnight that he didn’t want to get up or put weight on his left back leg. We took him to our Vet and she said to try an NSAID, Previcox, and no activity over the weekend. Our first thought was a possible ACL/ ligament tear.

Titan didn’t improve over the weekend and we felt his condition worsened. He didn’t want to move or go outside. When we were trying to help him down the stairs he whined as if he was in pain.

Our Vet sedated Titan today and performed various tests and x-rays. She said his left knee felt stable and had no “extra movement”. In her opinion, the ACL wasn’t the issue.

One if her deductions was she noticed increased bone density on his hip (ileum), and stated he may have a bone tumor.

Another possibility is Wobbler’s. She stated when she manipulated his foot, he didn’t realize it was turned. She stated the “nerves” in his legs may not be functioning.

The next step is sending the x-rays to a Radiologist to determine if it is a tumor. She put him on a steroid, Prednisone, and a pain medication, Tramadol (50mg). We are going to wait it out until we hear the Radiologist results.

Since bringing him home from the x-rays, he cannot get comfortable, can’t walk (left leg is nonresponsive), and is continuously whining.

Is there any other theories out there as to what he may be suffering from? My husband and I are feeling helpless and saddened that he can’t move. He is confused and frustrated because he is an active Doberman. More importantly, can he recover? We will try anything and everything to help Titan and not have him suffer. Watching him suffer and not be able to walk, run or play is devastating, and we are desperate to find a treatment for Titan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated beyond words. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Waiting is the hardest part, we know how you feel. Just try and be patient and keep him as comfortable as you can. There are simply too many things to guess what is wrong, but keep in mind not everything is non-recoverable. My late girl Angel used to get a nerve pinch and one of her hind legs would bother her greatly. She would hold it out like a ballerina and over the years would recieve treatment occasionally from steroids, massage and NSAID's. It may be serious but it may be a simple fix too so wait for the radiologist and keep up his meds in the meantime. I wish you the best of luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Just try and enjoy the quiet time together and keep him comfortable. They say that there was no movement in the knee, but could it possibly be a partial tear. My first girl had both a torn ACL then a year later developed bone cancer osteosarcoma in her same leg. She never had any tremors though, I would be GUESSING muscle/nerve.

Can you make a sling to help him out for moving around, or can he get around well enough? This might help him a little, and good bonding.

I am really sorry, this is really hard to go through; I remember myself. Hope to hear some good news really soon!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Welcome to DT. So glad you are here, however, the circumstances are so difficult. I don't have much to add, other than what the others have said, I agree. Sure don't think I'd be doing any manipulating of the limb until the Radiologists report is in. My heart goes out to you as it must just be awful to see your little one in pain and not be able to remedy it. Sending hugs and prayers your way. Please keep us updated. We'll be checking back frequently.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your Titan, I am glad to hear they sent out the xray, I hope the radiologist has a fairly conclusive answer for you soon.

I would wonder if it may be a stenosis (narrowing) of one of the bony openings that the nerves of his hind leg travel through. He may have knocked it so as to pinch off those nerves that are already susceptible due to the narrowing. Symptoms fit as they do sound entirely neurological.

My grandmas current doberman had a similar issue and turned out she had a stenosis, it's not as common a problem as wobblers but is a known issue for the large breed dogs. I don't want to give you false hope but her doberman did make a full recovery with prednisone and restricted movement.

How many stairs do you have? Are you able to fashion a ramp to make the stairs easier for you and him to navigate? With the prednisone he will likely need to go out more frequently, and will drink lots of water.

I would agree with the chiropractic suggestion, look for and contact an animal chiropractor experienced in working with dogs, but wait for the radiologists review of the xray before going ahead with treatment. Also if it is advisable to go ahead with chiropractic treatment I think the chiropractor should see the xray and the radiologists full report before treating.

Wishing you & your Titan a full speedy recovery!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on Titan Von Dynasty - Thank You

I wanted to give you all an update. Your comments, feedback and wishes were so helpful during this difficult time. Titan's condition deteriorated over the weekend. He lost all bladder control and stopped eating on Sunday, and still was unable to move his left leg. After consulting with the vet again this morning, my husband and I decided to put Titan to rest. He passed peacefully with everyone who loved him by his side.

After hours of research and consultation, we believed he had an acute onset (within a weeks time) of Wobbler's Syndrome, along with some type of cancerous tumor (possibly spinal or bone). The suffering and risk he would have endured was not humane. We would have done anything for him, as he was our child, and we know he is in a better place (chasing rabbits constantly)! I'm so glad I found this forum, and would welcome any commend or would help anyone that may need assistance with their beloved Doberman. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Please except my sincere condolences

I am so very sorry to hear about your Titan. He was a noble fella and he fought hard for you. You did the best you could do for him and you last selfless act to end his suffering even though you wanted him to stay was very tough. I commend you for caring enough to let him go. May he be at peace now running at the Rainbow Bridge, Keeta, Flame, Viper, and Sierra are there. They will welcome him.

I wanted to give you all an update. Your comments, feedback and wishes were so helpful during this difficult time. Titan's condition deteriorated over the weekend. He lost all bladder control and stopped eating on Sunday, and still was unable to move his left leg. After consulting with the vet again this morning, my husband and I decided to put Titan to rest. He passed peacefully with everyone who loved him by his side.

After hours of research and consultation, we believed he had an acute onset (within a weeks time) of Wobbler's Syndrome, along with some type of cancerous tumor (possibly spinal or bone). The suffering and risk he would have endured was not humane. We would have done anything for him, as he was our child, and we know he is in a better place (chasing rabbits constantly)! I'm so glad I found this forum, and would welcome any commend or would help anyone that may need assistance with their beloved Doberman. Thank you all again.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I missed the earlier thread about your boy, Titan. I'm so sorry to hear he deteriorated over the weekend and had to be put to sleep. I'm sure it was very hard decision for you all to make.

Hugs from here in Virginia.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So sorry for the turn of events. Like I said, my first dog was lost to bone cancer. It progressed very fast. She woke me up in the middle of the night on a Friday when she was obviously in pain and limping, diagnosed on Sat. I put her down on tuesday. Her leg tripled in size.

I was very emotional afterward, and felt guilty of my decision the next day. Please don't feel that way. I realized a couple days later my mind was messing with me while in that state.

He was a very beautiful boy, if you have more pics we would LOVE to see!:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.