Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Henry is 9 months old and recently diagnosed with localized demodectic mange (about 6 small spots). He is currently on ivermectin oral treatment and will have a follow up skin scraping in a few weeks to see how treatment is working. I know from the vet it isn't contagious to other dogs and is often seen in younger dogs whose immune system is not fully developed. Henry was a rescue for me, his breeder dumped him at a local rescue when he was only seven weeks old (some story about how the adult dogs were attacking him or something) Anyway, I have had him since then, but have no idea about his lineage obviously. Has anyone here had experience with demodectic mange and their dog? I know dobermans can be prone to it. At least, according to wiki. I would be curious to know how treatment went for you and what you did. Also, Henry has no issues otherwise. The rest of his coat is thick, shiny and soft. And, no allergies that I've noticed and he eats a good diet of Nature's Variety Instinct kibble.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 4 month old dobe Caesar has that as well.. its not good. he keeps scratching himself 24/7. he's also on the same treatment as your pup is. the thing is you have to be careful about where he goes.. me not thinking took Caesar to the park (this was before i knew what he had.. firstly i thought it was an allergy) and he got worms from going to the park.. their very susceptible to other diseases at this time.. sadly. Also because of his worms he was eating alot but loosing weight because the worms ate half of his food.. still got 1 more deworming thing to do so hopefully after tht he'll be ok.. what i do with him now is wash him every 10 days with benzoyl shampoo and you really got to scrub it in.. and than 1 day after the Benzoyl bath.. put 3ml of tac tic into 1.5 ltrs of water and apply with a sponge dont rinse it off! that what i do.. he also has the ivermectin oral treatment as well.. the scary thing is he used to weigh 16KG and because he's sick he weights 12KG but now hes around 14kg or so.. so we're putting his weight back on.. poor thing im trying to get rid of it as fast as i can.. he does sleep alot during the day though im sure its tiring for him.. poor soul.. let me know how ur pup gets on.. good luck :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, thank you for your reply. Luckily, Henry has already had all of his puppy vaccinations and is on Trifexis preventative, so no worms, fleas, etc.. I'm sorry you and your pup have been through that though. I would post a pic, but I have no idea how to. I guess I'll have to try and figure that out. He looks a lot like your pup though. He is red with a docked tail and natural ears and gorgeous golden (and kind of greenish) eyes. They were very green when he was little, but have changed as he's matured. At his last vet visit he weighed 66 lbs.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
what i do with him now is wash him every 10 days with benzoyl shampoo and you really got to scrub it in.. and than 1 day after the Benzoyl bath.. put 3ml of tac tic into 1.5 ltrs of water and apply with a sponge dont rinse it off! that what i do.. he also has the ivermectin oral treatment as well.. the scary thing is he used to weigh 16KG and because he's sick he weights 12KG but now hes around 14kg or so.. so we're putting his weight back on.. poor thing im trying to get rid of it as fast as i can.. he does sleep alot during the day though im sure its tiring for him.. poor soul.. let me know how ur pup gets on.. good luck :)
Taktic, in the U.S., is specifically sold for livestock (swine and cattle) use only, and comes with the caution that it should NOT be used on dogs. If your pup is sleeping a lot and seems "off," I would seriously consider the possibility that he is suffering from toxicity from this dip. How many times have you applied this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've applied it twice. the vet and the breeder recommended me to use it on Caesar. He has had all of his jabs as well but he generally sleeps off alot because its very humid in malaysia and when im out of the house he's allowed out into the garden to run and play.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Caerarsmum, are you sure your pup has demodectic mange? It generally doesnt cause itching. Sarcoptic mange, on the other hand, causes intense itching. It just kind of sounds like your treating sarcoptic mange, tho I havent heard of the bath or dip meds. He is a pretty pup. Hope he gets well soon.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My little girl had demodex at about 9 months, shortly after rescuing her. She was treated by a veterinary dermatologist with the oral ivermectin (squirted into a piece of bread and wrapped in cheese), an antibiotic for the secondary staph infection she got from it and weekly baths with medicated shampoo. She looked pretty pathetic and definitely looked worse before she got better.

This is how she looked at her worst, she even lost a lot of hair on her face:

She went through 4 months of treatment before being getting her negative skin scrapings. This is how she looked after her hair grew back:

It was definitely hard seeing her without her hair but, overall, it didn't really affect her. She still played and acted like the puppy she was. She's 2 now and hasn't had any issues since then (fingers crossed). She was around multiple other dogs, including my male dobe, during that time and did not spread it--it's definitely not contagious. Good luck with your pup, it was a long road but there is an end!

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
One of the easiest ways to look at Demodex is this way. All dogs have Deodectic mites, but not all dogs have Demodectic mange. The mites only become a problem when the dog's immune system becomes compromised, and the mites get out of control. Puppies tend to get Demodex more than adult dogs, simply because their immune systems are not fully developed. There are also two types of Demotectic mange, localized (which is small, scattered spots) and generalized (large areas over the entire body).

I've had two dogs with generalized Demodex, Gin and Ilka. Gin was back in 1989, and the Mitaban dip had just come out. Her original owners started the treatment, but didn't finish, so of course, she didn't get over it. Then, I adopted her, and we stepped up the dips to every week, instead of every other week. Two months (and almost 20 added pounds) later, she was over it, and never had a problem again.

I got Ilka in April of 2010, and I could tell she had mange (hair loss, that funky "mange smell") Well, she had a negative skin scrape, but we treated with Ivomec anyway, based on symptoms. Two weks later, no improvement, still a negative scrape, so we treated again. After another two weeks of no improvement, another skin scrape finally showed one Deomodex mite. We decided to treat her with Mitaban, and that was the end of the mange. She still does have sensitive skin, so I keep a close eye on her.

There are some breeds more prone to developing Demodectic mange, including Dobes and Pits. Most people agree that a dog who has had generalized Demodex shouldn't be bred, due to the susceptability to develop mange being genetic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The vet did say it was Demodex Mange and when i took him back to the breeders to make sure she said it didnt look like mange it just looked like an allergy.. so i was abit confused as to what it was but in the morning (she kept him overnight) she said yes it has the mange smell to it.. He is always itching himself and scratching.. he had his tak tic bath today and his worms are gone.. ill try to get the camera up and running so i can show some pictures on here... he's not loosing hair.. there are no bald patches only alot of hair falling out and it looks like Small white spots under his skin with lots of flaky skin.. what i do with him now is wash him every 10 days with benzoyl shampoo and and than 1 day after the Benzoyl bath.. i put 3ml of tac tic into 1.5 ltrs of water and apply with a sponge i dont rinse it off! he also has the ivermectin oral treatment as well as some small yellow pills which the vet said was ivermectin and to stop any inflammation stuff in there.. im worried now if you say its not like demodex.. what do u think it could be :( ill try to post some photos of what he looks like soon

·
Registered
23 Posts
By the way the vet didnt do any scrapings.. she only looked at him and said it was demodex mange.. :( and then she gave him an injection and gave me shampoo and pills.. the breeder suggested i use tak tic because he's had years of experiance with dobes..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok this is the only photo i have right now of him with the mange.. you can see it a little bit if you look closely their the little white spots on the top of his head .. now its all over his body.. :( ill try to get the camera working tomorrow morning. His fur is pretty much the same. shiny.. only a little falling out when he scratches.. but nothing like bald patches.. Please help me figure out what this is and what to do..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Taktic, in the U.S., is specifically sold for livestock (swine and cattle) use only, and comes with the caution that it should NOT be used on dogs. If your pup is sleeping a lot and seems "off," I would seriously consider the possibility that he is suffering from toxicity from this dip. How many times have you applied this?
You would be surprised with the amount of medication that is used 'off label' for cats and dogs. Ivermectin is an oral de wormer for livestock, and it can also come as an injectable. This is widely used for heavy infestation in dogs and it clearly says for livestock only. The dip is also used for dogs who have quite a few spots, you just need to make sure you dilute it to the weight of the animal, and be very careful around the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears. Although, my vet would not allow the client to do this, he would do it.

Ceasersmom, since you have not seen an improvement and your vet did not do a scraping, I would find another vet. Hope this clears up soon!

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I have had several fosters and my personal shepherd mix that had demodex. You'll know it's demodex instead of allergies because the dog will have an odor...kind of smells like Fritos Chips. Some of my fosters, but not all, have had a greasy coat in addition to the smell and the hair loss.

All of them were treated with Mitaban and then moved on to Promeris topical. I can truly say the Promeris worked amazingly.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The sarcoptic mange is easier to treat, so those treatments will cure it. I did find Taktic for dogs online last nite, too. I am just saying demodex doesnt itch. So, he might have something else going on with him, too. Are the little white bumps like pimples? If so, that sounds like, maybe, staff infection, which also causes flakey skin. The staff pimples will dry up and flake off, leaving a little round bare spot. Staff and yeast infections can be caused by allergies. Both of these cause itching. Everyone of these problems will cause hair loss. Well, not allergies, but the secondary problems allergies cause will. I would also recommend taking him to a second vet. Write down a complete history, so you dont forget anything. What are you feeding him? Can you get a grainfree dog food? Can you buy sardines raw, packed in water or tomatoes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feed him blackwood, salman meal and rice kibble with rice mixed with water and carontino oil.. this is how the breeder fed him but with blue buffalo instead of blackwood. he also gets 1 puppy supplement a day. They're little white spots which do flake off.. dry and flaky skin but his fun is very soft and shiny still.. Yes i do feed him one packet of raw sardines in water and sometimes oil once a week.. His coat is even shinier than before haha! Poor thing it is really itchy all the time though... i dont like to see him in pain.. I think ill call another vet around my area later on to see whats really going on..

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If he has mange, your breeder agrees he does, the treatments should fix it. My experience is a regular vet cant help you with food allergies, only treat the symptoms of staff and yeast. I read your Blackwood thread. Your pup can be allergic to many different things including rice(grain). Can your food supplier order Blackwoods Special Diet Grain Free Salmon and Potato? It may be expensive. I would try him on a grainfree diet. He could also have enviromental allergies. Ask your vet about giving him Benadryl for enviromental allergies. Be sure to tell him all meds you are giving for the mange. The Benadryl will help with the itching ONLY FROM the enviromental allergies if he has them. Giving Benadryl is one way to find out if he has enviromental allergies. If it helps his itching, he has them. You must be very careful and only give PLAIN benadryl, NOT the one for colds, if the vet okays you giving. I would also give canned sardines, rinse them off to remove salt, a pup should only need one fish a day.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I hope all that made sense to you. I am posting from a phone and it is hard to make decentposts covering so many subjects as I cant make paragraphs and proofreading is an aggravation, too. Be sure to ask if I havent made something clear enough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, you've made in clear. Thank you so much! unfortunatly i couldnt go to the vet yesterday but i will give the vet a call and have him come round. His skin does look to be clearing up a little after his bath though which is good but poor guy he's still itching :(
Thanks again you sure give the best advice.. :D Ill ask the vet about the Benadryl and see if it makes a difference :) its ok i can understand you perfectly.. im sure your dogs adore you as you really understand their needs.. Your like the dog whisperer :p hehe

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Thank you for the huge compliment, but I am not that great. I try, but I am no dog whisperer, wish I was that good.:) Let us know your pup does.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts