Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does yours have one? Kyrah does and so does Dexter. Dexter's is sitting. My terriers I must say dont have one or its not very noticable. Kyrahs is bowing. She bows for lots of things. When she is trying to tell me I am taking too long to get to the food to feed her. She circles around me then gets to the side of me and bows then goes to the laundry room door. (thats where their food is kept) When I am sitting on the couch and she feels its dinner time she will bow then walk towards the backdoor and then repeat. (she eats outside mostly) When I get up in the morning and I sit on the edge of the bed asking for my slippers she will bow then run get them. When she is trying to tell me she wants that toy up there, under the couch, or behind the door. When her daddy is sitting in the reclyner and calls her over she has to bow before she gets there. I am assuming she is deciding his intentions. hehe When we play find it that is what she chose to show me she found the item. I am sure there are more instances. I have noticed more and more that she uses this behavior a lot.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
does yours have one? Kyrah does and so does Dexter. Dexter's is sitting. My terriers I must say dont have one or its not very noticable. Kyrahs is bowing. She bows for lots of things. When she is trying to tell me I am taking too long to get to the food to feed her. She circles around me then gets to the side of me and bows then goes to the laundry room door. (thats where their food is kept) When I am sitting on the couch and she feels its dinner time she will bow then walk towards the backdoor and then repeat. (she eats outside mostly) When I get up in the morning and I sit on the edge of the bed asking for my slippers she will bow then run get them. When she is trying to tell me she wants that toy up there, under the couch, or behind the door. When her daddy is sitting in the reclyner and calls her over she has to bow before she gets there. I am assuming she is deciding his intentions. hehe When we play find it that is what she chose to show me she found the item. I am sure there are more instances. I have noticed more and more that she uses this behavior a lot.
Toby bows quite a bit too. I have found he does it when he wishes to get my attention, he then puts his head to one side and either yips or crocodile snaps. Isn't it funny how dogs do the same thing.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Koa's is sitting also, for the most part. And then he either "talks" to me or stares at me like "give me what I want, human".
All my dogs do what I call the 'Jedi mind trick.' By this I mean they sit and stare at me for absolutely ages, not moving a muscle, not even blinking in a bid to make me do something. I swear I can feel their thoughts burrowing into my brain. Thoughts like. 'Get up off your butt mum and take us for a walk.' and 'Feed me.'

·
Registered
382 Posts
All my dogs do what I call the 'Jedi mind trick.' By this I mean they sit and stare at me for absolutely ages, not moving a muscle, not even blinking in a bid to make me do something. I swear I can feel their thoughts burrowing into my brain. Thoughts like. 'Get up off your butt mum and take us for a walk.' and 'Feed me.'
Bahaha! I know this one too well. Usually paired with sad orphan eyes :roflmao:

Dakota sits for a lot of things, which I think is a great default for her to go to. If I tell her to stay she always wants to lay down - like she thinks a down stay gets her more brownie points than a sit-stay or standing stay. She also spins in circles to tell me yes - Do you wanna go for a walk? *spin* Do you want your breakfast? *spin* Do you have to go pee? *spin* (Or bow and stretch if it's too cold out! Haha!) It's one of my favourite traits about her! The enthusiasm always makes me smile :D

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bahaha! I know this one too well. Usually paired with sad orphan eyes :roflmao:

Dakota sits for a lot of things, which I think is a great default for her to go to. If I tell her to stay she always wants to lay down - like she thinks a down stay gets her more brownie points than a sit-stay or standing stay. She also spins in circles to tell me yes - Do you wanna go for a walk? *spin* Do you want your breakfast? *spin* Do you have to go pee? *spin* (Or bow and stretch if it's too cold out! Haha!) It's one of my favourite traits about her! The enthusiasm always makes me smile :D
Yes, that dreaded spinning! LOL it is so cute!! She does that when going out for meals or an outing somewhere. I am awaiting the day she takes me out!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Yeah, Silas also does the prolonged stare, often followed by head-on-the-arm/leg with Meltface when he wants something.

He also does the spin for yes! Or sometimes play bows mixed with spins for yes. :D

Is the spinning/circling thing a Dobe thing? He's not an anxious dog, but when he's antsy for something (like I'm getting the collar leash on Scout, for example and we're getting ready to go out) he'll often do some pacing type of circles around me. Sometimes he'll do his little circles around me even if there's not a lot of space on one side for him to get around, like if I'm near a wall. So the circle might happen on it's own, but it seems to be best if I'm inside it. Anyone else's dog do this? It's actually a bit annoying... I don't really like to be rounded up. ;)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
:roflmao: You made me spit out my coffee....this is SO true. Gunner can totally freak me out when he does this. He will stare and not move a muscle. It definitely gets my attention!

He also puts his paw on me for no apparent reason. If I'm not giving him attention, he'll sit and paw me until I look at him.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Kaiser will sit and put his paw on me if he wants something and I'm not paying attention. If I ask him something like, "You want your dinner?" or "Wanna go out?" he'll do this thing I call "frogging." He bounces up and down, lifting his front paws off the ground but leaving his back legs planted.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Silas also does the prolonged stare, often followed by head-on-the-arm/leg with Meltface when he wants something.

He also does the spin for yes! Or sometimes play bows mixed with spins for yes. :D

Is the spinning/circling thing a Dobe thing? He's not an anxious dog, but when he's antsy for something (like I'm getting the collar leash on Scout, for example and we're getting ready to go out) he'll often do some pacing type of circles around me. Sometimes he'll do his little circles around me even if there's not a lot of space on one side for him to get around, like if I'm near a wall. So the circle might happen on it's own, but it seems to be best if I'm inside it. Anyone else's dog do this? It's actually a bit annoying... I don't really like to be rounded up. ;)
I am not sure if its a dobe thing or not. I call it that too. I feel like she is herding me when she circles behind me. I know my terriers dont do this. Tippy & Dexter jump up and down straight in the air. Cujo does the standing on his hind legs..hes not a jumper :( But he does spin circles when he is outside and has some pent up energy/or is excited. Like he is trying to chase his invisible tail. LOL Hmm...I cant remember my dogs from the past doing this specifically.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Dakota used to do the herding thing to me, it drove me CRAZY. I don't know how many times I tried to put my shoes on and ended up knocked flat on my ass! Now I make her sit and wait about 10 feet away from me lol.

·
Registered
974 Posts
What exactly do you mean by default behaviour? Like things they do without being taught it? Does doing the schutzhund arm biting thing count? Odin has done this since a puppy without me or the hubby ever teaching it him, if we ran away to get him to chase us he would run, jump up and bite at our forearms...which kind of hurts I aint going to lie. Had to stop him doing that one incase he did it to some unsuspecting runner that went by us!!

He also sometimes (usually at me) walks and sits next to me and I know that I am going to get barked at. I will be damned if I know what the hell is wrong with him half the time though!!

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Max runs after you the dangles himself from your arm too! He is used to playing with Kia like that as he will chase her and bite onto her tale for a free ride! Its adorable to see.

His default behaviour is the puppy face whenever he isn't getting the attention he desires, and he froggy hops too!

He has the typical dober play behaviour too. Ass in the air, front legs and head to the floor, tail wagging like crazy and tongue sticking out to slobber any unsuspecting human who decides to join him on the floor :)

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Toby'shuman - well said, but Amy does the exact opposite - she BARKS loudly & rings her DOG TAG often.
- more VOCAL, as she got older, in senior years

Herb2relax - fantastic observation and thread topic...thanks for bring it up.

My wife noticed it first, MaMa would ask if she needed fresh water and about 4 years ago, our AMY started shaking her neck, standing in the kitchen.
- gets her ID dog tag hanging from her collar moving fast, to make the intense noise / now we prase her for this, big time
- it is her way of saying "YES" and confirming a response to our question...almost human like
Then she started ringing her dog tag, when she is between us in bed at night, when she stands up, we ask, "Amy want under the blankie"...and she started ringing her tag, from shaking her neck...lol.
- so her verbal sign language has been a great clue for us to pick up on and comply to her exacy wishes
The more we STUDY our smart dobes, the more we learn how to communicate with this loving and most intelligent breed !!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Eli has two. One is spinning. He spins when he is excited to see us, excited to eat, excited to go in the car, uh just excited. LOL. His second is leaning. If he wants to go to the park he finds his ball, carries it around and leans on me while I am getting dressed or doing dishes or whatever. His spins are not neurotic just happy. He spins often at the beginning of fetching and when he brings it back. He drops the ball and spins several times with his tail a blur, lessening as he gets more worn out. LOL. I think it is endearing. He doesn't spin around me but on his own in front of me.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Niz's default when he wants something and isn't given a command is a sit, head tilt, and laser eyes. His way of saying "yes" is a spin--usually to the left.

The more excited Niz is, the faster the spin, and when he's waiting for something, he does spin like Si. Sometimes, he'll spin when he wants to play. Our agility instructor wants us to stop the spinning (by giving a command, so he has something else to do that we've asked him to do, and when he gets what he's essentially asking for, that's a reward for the sit/down), especially when he gets so worked up he just SPINS blindly, because she said it's an OCD behavior. When Niz is super into his spins, it does look like OCD to me, but I don't know about the slower spins when he's just anxious/hurry up mom.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What exactly do you mean by default behaviour? Like things they do without being taught it? Does doing the schutzhund arm biting thing count? Odin has done this since a puppy without me or the hubby ever teaching it him, if we ran away to get him to chase us he would run, jump up and bite at our forearms...which kind of hurts I aint going to lie. Had to stop him doing that one incase he did it to some unsuspecting runner that went by us!!

He also sometimes (usually at me) walks and sits next to me and I know that I am going to get barked at. I will be damned if I know what the hell is wrong with him half the time though!!
A posture that your dog automatically assumes when she's unsure or confused. Called a dog's "default" behavior, for most this posture is to sit; for some dogs it's down; and for a rare few it's another behavior. You'll recognize your dog's default behavior as the position he most often assumes when he's not sure what you want.

I guess I kinda got off of the default somewhat. My brain has somewhat disappeared the last week since I threw the smokes out.

Dexter's sit is a perfect example... He is not sure what to do...He sits! You can see him think...I am jumping so happy to see you...hmmm...not getting any pets...think I'll sit! I am nervous at this new place...I think I'll sit.

But I am enjoying the thread anyway!

·
Registered
939 Posts
If Callie is unsure of what you want from her, she sits and raises one paw up off the ground. It looks adorable, but I can't for the life of me figure out where she picked that up!

If she wants something, she whines and scratches. On the door to go OUT (and I mean NOW mom!!) in her food dish for food, etc

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sarge does this same routine in the evening just after he has finished eating.I call it the HAPPY DANCE. He will run into the living room and do a big stretch,then go down to the rug on all four paws and pull himself forward for a about 10 seconds.Next he turns over onto his back and does the aligator wag for about 10 more seconds back and forth. Then suddenly he will jump up to his feet and shake from head to tail and suddenly stop and look at me like WHAT HAPPENED. He is absolutely funny at times and has such an amazing personality.When he has to go out to do his business, he will lay down on the floor and in front of you and let out a quiet moan.He also does the classic stare down if your ignoring him,and if you try to get his attention sometimes he will pout and turn his head away from you like a 10 year old child would do.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
If Toby is unsure he immediately runs to me and sits on my foot. I guess this way I cannot go forward into a dangerous situation and he knows exactly where I am in relation to his position. Does this count as a default or something else?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts