Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey guys, sorry I haven't let you know whats up. just got busy with christmas and all. First thanks to every one for the replies. Koda is still here and doing better. we have noticed a good change in the last week or so. I think he is starting to get comfortable and acting like a normal dog. I want to post some pics but I don't get it. they are on my desktop, whats with the url thing?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I watched this from a distance bcuz everyone had said what i thought anyway, It's good to hear that he is settling in i'm sure with some training he will be a well adjusted addition to your family.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
He is a very nice looking guy. I too am wondering what you are doing different, and by "he is doing better" what do you mean? Obviously he has not bitten again, but what other changes are you noticing with time?
This is not meant to sound rude or pushy, just curious as you and koda have been on my mind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Merry Christmas every one. what are we doing defferent? well we really just backed off a little I agree with most of the replies on here we were just doing too much too fast. We also got a little lax on some everyday stuff like, feeding him first just because it's quicker, letting him decide when to pet him etc. I guess we just got back to basics, we eat then feed him, we tell him no when he gets pushy about attention, no more treats at the table, we make him eat his carrot outside. Just basic stuff that we got sloppy about.
The improvements are small but very noticable, now he will go off by himself to chew his rope and he will bring the ball back to us instead of just taking off or not playing at all. The biggest thing is he has some facial expresions now which he didn't before. The first few weeks he had one look and that was it (see pic). He had that same look no matter what was goin on. Now he makes the play face, you all know that one. The "I'm really sleepy" face after lunch. You guys know what I'm talkin about. Just a lot of small things that are really kool. We also have been rougher when petting him lots of patting and stuff which he doesn't care about at all now. when he first got here you couldn't even tap him. Now we are constantly smackin him on the but. You know how they do that pat my butt dance, pretty funny. Any way thanks again to everyone for the helpfull replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah it might have just been giving him the time and space he needs to adjust...when we first brought home coco our fearful lab mix...we were debating for awhile whether we could handle his needs. but now...although he cant be with strangers and new situations...around them home and with us he is the happiest little guy...but of course it took a long time...we just figured...if he wanted to hide under the table...that was fine...he eventually adjusted. lol merry christmas!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well that's great. I'm very happy for you and him.

Funny thing about dogs though. Sometimes as they age, you just don't really know what's going to happen. I had a strange occurance this weekend with Ruger, my girlfriends older Boston.

I've known and raised him since a baby. He is now 3 years old.

If he is chewing on a Nylabone, NEVER try to take it from him or even go near his face. He will viciously bite at you as if you were a stranger.

I'm thinking that this was improper upbringing by my girlfriend. She should have kicked this in the butt right from the very first time he tried this. But, she didn't. Now, it's gotten out of hand. So much out of hand, the Ruger actually fully bit me last night out of aggression.

No dog bites me in my house and lives to tell about it. Yes, Christmas eve and all, I made her take that dog out of my house before I kill it. She took Ruger and left.

I was very upset that I was bit like this from a dog I knew since a pup. My feelings were hurt, so to speak. I'm not certain that it's 100% her fault, but I think she should have repeatadly given him a bone, taken it back away from him and given him a treat....over and over and over again so that he knows that it's okay for her to take the bone and he'll be rewarded for it.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to handle the situation, but regardless of what method she used, it should have been done as soon as he started acting like this.

Now, I'm afraid I do not want to see Ruger again. At least not until she makes some corrective moves with him. I'm extremely mad at him right now and I certainly don't want him around Yogi.

Oh, and Merry Christmas by the way :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Are you doing things like making him sit/wait for meals? Sitting for treats? Sitting for his leash? I can't remember if kids are involved. If they are I would have them do this too. Google NILIF and you will get a lot of good info.

·
Registered
602 Posts
airbrush dude said:
Yeah he has to sit for everything. we have found that he will sit forever waiting to eat if you don't say OK.
That sounds great. And yes some of them will wait forever to be released from the command, especially if its a command that lets them eat..lol

I am sure you are already doing this, but just in-case, make sure the kids are involved in this process.

Naveen

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.