Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening/morning everyone,

I can’t believe I’m writing this today but here it goes...

Many of you know we successfully treated one of our boys Cooper for his seizures with phenobarbital and his hypothyroidism with levothyroxine tabs.

Unfortunately, a few days ago he had a cough throughout his night sleep and we brought him to hospital to check it out.

He was in active CHF (congestive heart failure) with a really bad arrhythmia not helping the situation.

An echocardiogram/x ray was done along with an ekg and they had found fluid around his heart & lungs.

He was immediately treated with a diuretic to counter the fluid build up and luckily he responded well to it.

They also had to treat him for the heart failure and arrhythmia issues which he stayed overnight at the hospital for. He was released back to us premature of his BPM getting back down to at least 200, but we was hovering in the 250 range.

We decided to take him the next day in hopes bringing him home would lower his rate due to the stress of being away from his brother in the hospital.

At home he seemed to sleep well through the night although he was drugged a bit.

Tonight he is very uncomfortable but still getting by.

He is currently on these following prescriptions:

Furosemide (Lasix) 50mg x2 tabs every 12 hrs (diuretic for fluid build up in the lungs

Pimobendan (Vetmedin) 15mg 1 tab every 12hrs (dilates blood vessels to improve heart function & workload on heart)

Diltiazem (cardizem/dilacor) 30mg tabs x3 every 8hrs (calcium channel blocker acting as an anti-arrhythmic & decreases heart rate)

With everything that transpired, we decided to take his brother Hudson in the next day just to get him checked as he is showing 0 signs like Cooper.

Low and behold - DCM diagnosis as well but catching it a bit earlier.

He has been prescribed:

Pimobendan (Vetmedin) 15mg 1 tab every 12hrs (dilates blood vessels to improve heart function & workload on heart)

My wife and I are obviously devastated as we thought we would have more than 6 years with them and I admit I took time for granted.

We had news in October we’d be expecting our first child in May this year and had plans of all 3 of them getting to enjoy each others company.

Dreams don’t always come true and God wants these two angels soon.

I can’t say with certainty if anything is going to work.

The cough has gone away for Cooper for now but his heart rate is very sporadic and labored breathing throughout his whole day. He’s fighting for his life every second of his day like the strong man he is.

His brother Hudson is so happy go lucky and normal that we just don’t know either.

As I sit here contemplating it all, I’m broken and my screen is blurred from tears I can’t hold back.

I ask myself over and over how can two innocent boys like this get 6 years and humans get amounts they don’t deserve?

Bless you all they both love everyone here very much and are grateful for everyone’s contributions here.

-Dobiethugs

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Collar Dog supply

Attachments

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bummer!
Do not write them off yet! Get over the shock and let the medicine do its job , hopefully some normalcy returns and enjoy them like always.
Just when I thought he couldn’t fight anymore he is almost his normal self today. Unreal the strength and determination of this breed to be by your side. His brother Hudson had a rough night on his first dose of meds but seems to be normal today as well.

Selfishly enjoying every second as if we’ll never see each other again.

· Registered
345 Posts
Just when I thought he couldn’t fight anymore he is almost his normal self today. Unreal the strength and determination of this breed to be by your side. His brother Hudson had a rough night on his first dose of meds but seems to be normal today as well.

Selfishly enjoying every second as if we’ll never see each other again.
Not selfish. Not in the least. And they are happier by your side.

· Alpha schmalpha
4,777 Posts
I went through the exact same situation that caused you to seek a vet , few months back for my boy. The cough or gacking that alerted me and off to the vet. He still has a elevated heart beats but not what was going on before the meds started kicking in. I let him be the dog he wants to be with little restrain . I know he is a ticking time bomb so the only change is when we go on walks we do not go to far so if he dies it want be too far to carry him...I know a little morbid. My boy is 10 plus years so I am more at peace with the diagnoses but 6 is too young .
Good luck with everything.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update

Had some more checks done on Cooper today to see how the meds were doing and his heart rate is still slightly high so his dosage of Diltizem has been increased to 135mg.

He’s almost fully back to normal minus he can’t really do the same things before he realizes it takes too much energy from him so he’ll self regulate himself.

Hudson seems to be taking his Pimobendan dosage okay and is sleeping well.

They both say hello to everyone and thanks for the support.

Love,

Dobiegang

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Comfort

1 - 20 of 28 Posts