Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi everyone, my girl who will be 9 at the end of january was just diagnosed with DCM i am completely devastated.
she is my little princess. any information will help 😭😭😭💔
U of C Davis report might provide hope regarding taurine deficiency and taurine supplement. Nevertheless please run this study report by your vet/cardiologist for their professional input. Albeit the study was limited to Golden Retrievers. Wishing you and your “Dobergirl” the best.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,595 Posts
It is a good idea to check out the taurine level situation with any dog that develops DCM, but apparently the kind of DCM that dobes develop is not related to a taurine deficiency, but is instead genetic. We just don't have any idea exactly what genes are involved--it is thought that there are a number of genes which interact to cause the disease.

About all that can be done is to keep up with regular testing by a yearly 24 hour holter and cardiogram (usually the first one at 2-3 years old.) Those tests can pick up the presence of the disease before there are obvious symptoms, and the earlier you start treating a dog for heart disease, the more chance that the medications will be effective.

Breeders should be doing at least that much on their breeding dogs before they breed them, as well as checking out the dogs' bloodlines for DCM or sudden deaths--not just their direct ancestors, but also their dogs' siblings (from their litter and previous litters by either their dam or sire), the aunts and uncles, and so on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is a good idea to check out the taurine level situation with any dog that develops DCM, but apparently the kind of DCM that dobes develop is not related to a taurine deficiency, but is instead genetic. We just don't have any idea exactly what genes are involved--it is thought that there are a number of genes which interact to cause the disease.

About all that can be done is to keep up with regular testing by a yearly 24 hour holter and cardiogram (usually the first one at 2-3 years old.) Those tests can pick up the presence of the disease before there are obvious symptoms, and the earlier you start treating a dog for heart disease, the more chance that the medications will be effective.

Breeders should be doing at least that much on their breeding dogs before they breed them, as well as checking out the dogs' bloodlines for DCM or sudden deaths--not just their direct ancestors, but also their dogs' siblings (from their litter and previous litters by either their dam or sire), the aunts and uncles, and so on.
Thanks Melrod for filling me in on a subject that my experience is zero.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,595 Posts
The link of taurine deficiencies with heart disease came up in dogs (it's been known about with cats for a while) when people got into the grain-free dog food "craze". Breeds which had not had a problem with DCM started showing up with heart disease; problems with taurine levels seemed to be the cause. It's still being studied, but the suspicion is that the various legumes grain-free dog foods substitute for grains to round out the nutrients may have negative effects on taurine levels. They've not really seen an increase per se in dobes; but the problem the breed already has with DCM makes it inadvisable to use a grain-free food, just in case you might be adding fuel to the fire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you seen a cardiologist yet? How was she diagnosed? Is she in heart failure?

She was just brought in to her regular vet today and had x-rays that were sent out stat to the radiologist. I am awaiting a cardiologist appointment. I wish I had a pic of her x-rays, I will try and get it. Her heart is massive… so heartbreaking and I am completely devastated. She is now on Lasix, Pimobendan and Benazipril.

pics below are her with her little buddy Chico and Chewy (lab)

😭😭😭💔

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that, and sincere hope she will still be around for a while yet otherwise healthy. Don't dwell... process it and just cherish today. Your doing what you can, and be better emotionally prepared.

She's gorgeous and can tell from those pictures what a tight knit pack you all are. Please let us know what the cardio says.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts