Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy, Tyson was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I have not left his side ever since as we try to get him stabilized with meds. He has not been eating much and I am trying everything under the sun to get him to eat. I have had some success as the Vetmedin has helped with his mood and appetite some. This morning he woke up and couldn't walk right - it looked like he was drunk. He had an accident in the house and could not control his movements. My question to anyone that has had experience with this horrible disease is - will this affect his ability to walk? Are we going down the wrong road? I just need to know what is next so we can prepare ourselves as best as we could. I don't want my boy to suffer...above all else. Thank you....

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
My boy, Tyson was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I have not left his side ever since as we try to get him stabilized with meds. He has not been eating much and I am trying everything under the sun to get him to eat. I have had some success as the Vetmedin has helped with his mood and appetite some. This morning he woke up and couldn't walk right - it looked like he was drunk. He had an accident in the house and could not control his movements. My question to anyone that has had experience with this horrible disease is - will this affect his ability to walk? Are we going down the wrong road? I just need to know what is next so we can prepare ourselves as best as we could. I don't want my boy to suffer...above all else. Thank you....
I don't think the disease itself will affect him not being able to walk, BUT....DCM is an enlargement of the heart and if he's already in congestive heart failure he could be experiencing some build up of fluids in the lungs and just not feel like doing much or having difficulty breathing.

Is he on lasix as well as vetmedin? What does of vetmedin is he on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, he is and we were just at the vet for a check up yesterday - no fluid in his lungs at all. He is on 5 mg twice a day and lasix and benazipril.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
sometimes they can have 'episodes' of weakness and be very unsteady on their feet.

And yes, they can lose control of their bladder and bowels.

As it seems each dog with DCM will have its own 'way' of dealing with this 'disease', no two will have exactly the same symptoms, reactions to meds or results from treatments.

Hugz to you and your boy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We lost our 8 year old doberman to DCM just two weeks ago. He did extremely well with the help of medication since his diagnosis in January, but he had been in CHF for a while and started to decline the last 6 weeks or so. The final week I knew he wouldn't be with us much longer. He had one episode late at night where he got up to go out and fell over losing consciousness for just a moment, and then he had several other incidents that week wear he would get wobbly for just a few seconds and then recover. We ended up having to let him go 5 days after the first fainting incident as his heart just couldn't keep up anymore. Overnight he went from being able to trot around the yard and barking at squirrels to not wanting to get up, and when he did get up his gums would go white/grey and could only take a few steps without getting winded. We let him go that morning under his favorite tree in the back yard.

DCM absolutely sucks. The lucky ones die suddenly, IMO.

Best of luck to you and Tyson♥

Hugs~

·
Registered
99 Posts
Every time Harper would take off running across the yard after a squirrel or running with the Whippets I would pray that he would just drop dead. Even two days before we had to let him go he was chasing squirrels along the fence. I was certain that with his heart in such horrible condition that he would fall over dead, but he just trotted back to the deck and took a REALLY long nap.

The one thing I am grateful for is that he never went in to respiratory distress. I was terrified that he was going to have an episode of pulmonary flash edema in the middle of the night. My vet did give us a bottle of injectable lasix in case we had an emergency and thankfully we never had to use it.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I was terrified that he was going to have an episode of pulmonary flash edema in the middle of the night. My vet did give us a bottle of injectable lasix in case we had an emergency and thankfully we never had to use it
The first we knew that a dog with occult dcm had gone into the active phase was when flash pulmonary edema developed. That's a LONG car ride to the vet when the dog is actively trying to die on you...

After that, we also were given injectable lasix to keep at hand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We lost our 8 year old doberman to DCM just two weeks ago. He did extremely well with the help of medication since his diagnosis in January, but he had been in CHF for a while and started to decline the last 6 weeks or so. The final week I knew he wouldn't be with us much longer. He had one episode late at night where he got up to go out and fell over losing consciousness for just a moment, and then he had several other incidents that week wear he would get wobbly for just a few seconds and then recover. We ended up having to let him go 5 days after the first fainting incident as his heart just couldn't keep up anymore. Overnight he went from being able to trot around the yard and barking at squirrels to not wanting to get up, and when he did get up his gums would go white/grey and could only take a few steps without getting winded. We let him go that morning under his favorite tree in the back yard.

DCM absolutely sucks. The lucky ones die suddenly, IMO.

Best of luck to you and Tyson♥

Hugs~

Thank you for your reply...I am sorry for your loss. I agree with you - I'd rather he go quickly and suddenly than to drag out and just keep getting weaker and sicker. If I see that behavior for days in a row - I will know the time has come.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
My heart breaks for you, I lost my 7 year old boy last week to DCM/CHF. You are not alone. There are far too many members here who have walked in your shoes, we know how you feel.
My boy stabilized almost immediately once he got on his medication & did great for the first 2 months, no coughing at all. He gradually lost his appetite & it was hard work to get him to eat. We tried all different sorts of food to try to encourage him like chicken, tuna, sardines & liver but some days it would take him hours to eat & some meals he wouldn't eat at all. In the last month he became more lethargic, the cough returned & although upping his diuretics helped him, the cough was still there & eventually got worse. On his last night he couldn't get comfortable at all due to the fluid in his lungs. He let me know he'd had enough & we made the decision to let him go.
I too felt like Harpdog, I prayed he would just drop dead or die in his sleep. Watching your dog slowly die from CHF is absolutely heart breaking & not something I would wish on anybody. My thoughts are with you & Tyson.

Please keep us updated on how he's doing.
Big hugs to you & Tyson.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My heart breaks for you, I lost my 7 year old boy last week to DCM/CHF. You are not alone. There are far too many members here who have walked in your shoes, we know how you feel.
My boy stabilized almost immediately once he got on his medication & did great for the first 2 months, no coughing at all. He gradually lost his appetite & it was hard work to get him to eat. We tried all different sorts of food to try to encourage him like chicken, tuna, sardines & liver but some days it would take him hours to eat & some meals he wouldn't eat at all. In the last month he became more lethargic, the cough returned & although upping his diuretics helped him, the cough was still there & eventually got worse. On his last night he couldn't get comfortable at all due to the fluid in his lungs. He let me know he'd had enough & we made the decision to let him go.
I too felt like Harpdog, I prayed he would just drop dead or die in his sleep. Watching your dog slowly die from CHF is absolutely heart breaking & not something I would wish on anybody. My thoughts are with you & Tyson.

Please keep us updated on how he's doing.
Big hugs to you & Tyson.
Thank you...I hope he just goes...quickly...I don't want him to suffer at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is and it came out of no where....just 3 weeks ago he was playing and running and jumping ...now, he mostly sleeps...we have "moments" and "glimpses" of his former self....I am trying everything I can for as long as I can to just keep him pain/suffer free. That's all I can do.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,343 Posts
Jakesmom, I am so very sorry. Words cannot express I bad I feel for you and Tyson. My Baron has early stage DCM: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/53082-baron-has-dcm.html

We were lucky to have caught it early enough that the meds have helped slow the arrthymias but I know at some point in time this will change. His echos have all been normal and his heart is normal size so when his time comes and DCM rears its ugly head, I am so hoping and praying he does not go into CHF and he has sudden death.

Please know you and Tyson are in my thoughts. Please feel free to PM if you need to vent.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I lost my 11 eleven year old rescue boy, Buddy, to DCM last week. He was three months out from diagnosis. The last two days he started falling over and he also had an accident in the house. I think it was just too hard for him to get up. He was so, so tired. He wasn't in respiratory distress, but he was so exhausted. I could see everything was a struggle and he was only doing it for me. Getting up because I wanted him to, eating because I wanted him to. He was such a good boy, he just wanted to make me happy.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I also prayed every day for God to take my boy instantly. I lost my first girl to DCM too, but I lost her to sudden death. I am now thankful, so thankful, that my girl didn't have to go through what my boy did. It is an ugly, horrible, unfair, terrible disease and I hate it.

Many prayers for you and Jake. You are doing everything you can for your boy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am so sorry for this horrible diagnosis :( I couldnt imagine how DCM really affects you since Ive not experienced it but it sounds just aweful!!!
What is the injectible lasix stuff do to them?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I am so sorry for this horrible diagnosis :( I couldnt imagine how DCM really affects you since Ive not experienced it but it sounds just aweful!!!
What is the injectible lasix stuff do to them?
Dogs in congestive heart failure build up fluid in their lungs, because their heart isn't working properly.

Lasix is a diuretic, you give it to dry out the lungs on a dog with congestive heart failure. Dogs in chf usually take it in pill form on a regular basis. But if you have a crisis situation, where the dog is drowning in fluid, then the injectable form is a lot faster acting, a lot more effective.

Lasix can be very hard on the kidneys, so with dcm/chf dogs you try to find a maintenance dose that's as low as possible, but still effective in keeping their lungs dry. Some dcm dogs do eventually wind up being pts due to kidney failure from the lasix, tho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts