Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what peoples' dogs with DCM are on?

Soli is at present still on the UK Protect study so is only on placebo/pimobendan, but she's coming off it in just a few days as the study finishes. She's my first DCM dog and is still occult so I'm now having a look around to see what's out there to help, typical meds and so on.

She had a holter in September which confirmed she doesn't need any anti-arrhythmia meds as yet, she has a lot of VPCs (every other beat almost) but no runs and barely any couplets. She also oddly beats in pairs which the cardio says is more like a cocker than a dobe!

Still fine in herself though, the only change since her last holter in April is that her average heart rate has gone up ever so slightly so perhaps we are beginning the creep towards heart failure but as yet, still fine in that respect. Actually doing exceptionally well considering her heart looks like a football and she should have gone into failure last November!

As an aside, I'm also looking so I can be better prepared for Paige - she was echoed in July last year (when Soli was diagnosed) and came back equivocal for DCM, her heart then looked the same as Soli's did 2.5 years before her diagnosis and the cardio said basically, she'll get it. She's being rescanned in January. And actually I need to know more for her sake what sort of meds are likely - thanks to my own stupidity, her heart isn't covered on her insurance so I'll be having to pay for everything myself. Doh.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems I am now asking just for Paige, no sooner than I posted my thread, Soli passed away :(

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am so terribly sorry about Soli. I just lost my 3.5 yr old to DCM 4 weeks ago. 56 days after her diag. I have some pimobendan left over if you need some. Pls let me know. Private message me here. I sent some to a girl in Canada (dog - Daisy). I have some left as another person did not sent her address or contact info. It is horrible. Love your day every minute.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,301 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am so sorry, I am going through it too with my 5 and a half yr male Boysie. He had his holter and I am awaiting the results.I was advised by a cardiologist in America(on another forum) to start on ACE inhibitors as soon as possible as long as blood pressure is ok.To do with neurohormones, I took Boysie to the Royal Vetinary College in Hertfordshire on Thursday and they did tests and then put him on them, so he is om Pimobendan 10mg twice a day,beazopril 20mg daily,spironalactone 40mg caily,frusecare 20mg twice a day and 3000mg of fish oil daily.
Every time I take him running I cant believe there is anything wrong with him, his enjoyment of life is awe inspiring. I am making as many memories as quickly as I can. I am amazed at how many Dobes get this terrible condition. M heart goes out to you and I wish you well.
Best Wishes Alys

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My first male doberman died almost 20 years ago so I don't remember details to good. Things I do remember he was on a salt free diet Iams was the best at the time. The meds we gave were lasix, lots of vitamins.

I'm so sorry for your loss ..............

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
For the last 6 months of Petey's life this is what he was on. He never went into CHF, he died suddenly. I'm so sorry about your Soli.

Benazepril 20mg 2x day
Carvedilol 6 mg 2x day
Spironolactone 12.5 mg 2x day
Fuosemide 40 mg 3x day
Pimobendan 12mg 2x day
Sotalol 80mg 2x day
Mexiletine 200mg 2x day

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am so sorry about Soli; too many of us are experiencing this . .My 5 year old girl Daisy was diagnosed at the end of June, went into early CHF at beginning of October. *At diagnosis, she was put on Benazepril 10 mg/day.

After CHF started, she is now on the following:
Benazepril 30 mg/day
Furosemide 120 mg/day
Pimobendan 20 mg/day
Fish Oil
Have just started a supplement called Cardio Plus

she looks and feels totally normal; she has not yet shown any arrythmias or vpc's.

The pimobendan is expensive, for her dosage around $180 / month.Thank you Kenya's Mom for sending me hers . . it's a big help! The other meds aren't too bad, I get a prescription and fill them at Costco.

Good luck and keep us posted . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts