Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back story: So, as I've said before I'm not 100% convinced of the utility of the DCM gene test yet, with all the unknowns ... but as I'm sure you guys understand, the Dobes are so dear to me that I'm not going to pass on the chance to test them for anything. It took forever due to some sample issues, but got results back last week - Audrey was heterozygous for DCM gene :(, Alfred was negative for the gene :).

In my logical mind I knew that if one of them had to have the gene, it is better for it to be Audrey, as she is spayed and was not breeding quality really anyway, but all I could think was something more along the lines of BUT I LOVE HER SO MUCH. I'm sure I would have had this reaction regardless of which Dobe had the gene - I just wanted NEITHER to have it.

Fast forward, I booked her with Dr. Wood at Cardiology NW where she had a baseline echo done around her 2nd birthday. And the recheck (she is 5 now) was today. By Monday night I was convinced she was exhibiting signs of DCM: fatigue, wheezing, fast heart. Well, come today, I was wrong - praise the Lord - all measurements were normal. Dr. Wood said holtering is still a good idea but that there is zero sign she's clinical for DCM yet.

And THAT is all a very long way of getting to the following ...

One of his comments, when I was relaying to him that I was super neurotic about Audrey because her sire is the Juris Reign Storm dog that died of DCM at age 6, was that he was "probably homozygous" for the DCM gene and that is why he died so young.

Had anyone else heard that? I mean, it definitely makes sense to me, but I had never actually heard that before ... that being said, I don't follow this stuff all *that* closely.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
One of his comments, when I was relaying to him that I was super neurotic about Audrey because her sire is the Juris Reign Storm dog that died of DCM at age 6, was that he was "probably homozygous" for the DCM gene and that is why he died so young.

Had anyone else heard that? I mean, it definitely makes sense to me, but I had never actually heard that before ... that being said, I don't follow this stuff all *that* closely.
It's a theory. Only time will tell if there's any validity to it. There definitely are dogs around who are homozygous for the gene that are well into double digits with no sign of the disease.

·
Strong Ears
174 Posts
It's a theory. Only time will tell if there's any validity to it. There definitely are dogs around who are homozygous for the gene that are well into double digits with no sign of the disease.
I totally agree with you Murreydobe. I've also heard that there may be several genes for DCM and that they are still trying to locate each of them. They only tell the general public what they want us to know.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I've also heard that there may be several genes for DCM and that they are still trying to locate each of them. They only tell the general public what they want us to know.
Well..they really don't know, either.

We do know there's more than one gene that can cause DCM, as there are a lot of dogs around who tested negative that have been diagnosed (or died) with DCM.

In humans there are at least 24 different genes, any one of which can cause DCM. So it's reasonable to expect the same level of complexity with doberman DCM.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I would not sweat the test for one gene mutation when there are probably many that cause DCM. As Carol pointed out, her Petey had DCM...and I know of other negative dogs who have DCM. I think this test should be used as a guide when breeding, but that's about it. I hope the work the researchers do with dogs like Petey's blood samples will find other more prevalent markers in the future.

My dogs are negative for the mutation, and Cheers father died of DCM. I expected her to be hetero for the gene and was surprised she was negative. When I test her, I expect "the other shoe to drop" but her heart is normal so far and she's 5 yrs old. So for your vet to make that comment is actually a bit ignorant on his/her part.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I wouldnt write anything in stone about that test seeing negitive dogs are dying from DCM and 12 1/2 yr old dogs comming back ****!
Just keep heart testing your dogs thats the best you can do at this time. JMHO

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I am glad you posted that link to the original thread. People's emotions were all over the place and by golly NOW breeders had better step up or step out. It was funny to read some of the thoughts. I think it certainly showed the mob mentality.

I persoanlly know a 11 year old working Euro bred dog that is **** for the PDK4 gene and I have heard of Neg dying.

Dr. Meurs said herself proceed with caution and forethought. The gene pool was not big enough to erradicate ALL dogs other than the negative.

My approach is going to be the same as with Vwd - Since we have a test work to eliminate this one contributing factor until others are discovered. Our celebration was very short lived. We are still shooting blind.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I was wondering - is there any research or support for this theory? I assume it would be new, since I know that wasn't a conclusion of the original study.

Which is why I wasn't that interested in the old thread, and in case I wasn't clear - I understand the basics (as all Doberman owners, IMHO, should): that it's not a black or white thing, that there are likely several contributing genes, that dogs without the gene can have it and dogs with the gene cannot get it, etc etc etc ad nauseum. That is why I said I'm not all that convinced in the utility of the DCM gene test, yet. And Alf and Auds are both going to be holtered when he hits 2 in June; Alf will be holtered and echoed every year following since he is a stud, and Auds will be because she has the gene and because her sire died of DCM.

But I would think you can understand why Auds having the gene at all, when she is from the Thunder/Reign line, makes me extremely nervous!!! The reason I'm curious about the **** v hetero thing is that if there WERE any support for that theory, it would just give me a little bit more peace of mind on Audrey's likelihood to stay with me into old age.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I sadly know of a 3 littermates who died of DCM around age 7-ish. Not something apparent that ran in their pedigree either. All 3 were clear for the DCM test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts