Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,323 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread but I am glad reading the updates. Just remember Baron lived to 12 years 2 months after beeing diagnosed with early stage at 4 1/2 and put on meds. I am a firm believer of early detection helps give them years more of quality life.

·
Premium Member
10,132 Posts
I'm a big believer in early detection and constant monitoring.

And I'll tell you folks with the girls--I think the males are much less likely to have problems adapting to changes in meds, in food in everything. All of my males for many years have had basically iron guts--nothing much upsets them (well, the exception was my wired to the eyeballs Rumor who always had diarrhea at shows if they weren't close enough to go home--he wouldn't drink water or eat--so he'd bait but usually only for liver--this is NOT a recipe for having solid stools. I could add and subtract meds and it never seemed to bother the boys and I've really never had to take more than four days to switch food.

But Ripley is on an antiarrhythmia med--the sotalol is easier on them by far than the more potent and more effective mexilatine--for quite a few dogs it's often a cause of a complete and total off of the eating switch. I count myself lucky that none of my cardio dogs have been on much of anything except Vetmedin (pimobendin) and either enalapril or benazapril.

Just some miscellaneous information from my dogs to anyones elses dogs.

dobebug

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks so much for both of your insights!

Reactions: melbrod and LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,323 Posts
I'm a big believer in early detection and constant monitoring.

And I'll tell you folks with the girls--I think the males are much less likely to have problems adapting to changes in meds, in food in everything. All of my males for many years have had basically iron guts--nothing much upsets them (well, the exception was my wired to the eyeballs Rumor who always had diarrhea at shows if they weren't close enough to go home--he wouldn't drink water or eat--so he'd bait but usually only for liver--this is NOT a recipe for having solid stools. I could add and subtract meds and it never seemed to bother the boys and I've really never had to take more than four days to switch food.

But Ripley is on an antiarrhythmia med--the sotalol is easier on them by far than the more potent and more effective mexilatine--for quite a few dogs it's often a cause of a complete and total off of the eating switch. I count myself lucky that none of my cardio dogs have been on much of anything except Vetmedin (pimobendin) and either enalapril or benazapril.

Just some miscellaneous information from my dogs to anyones elses dogs.

dobebug
Dobebug, I agree. I never had any problems with any of the drugs Baron was on. He was on Sotalol, plus all the supplements, to start with and then after 4 years and seeing some progession of the disease, he was put on Mexilatine and Pimobendin. He did have a brief "not wanting to eat" at the beginning of starting the Mexilatine and Pimobendin but I switched foods and then he seemed to level out and be OK. Never had any problems with stools.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
A good update. Cardiologist is happy with what she's seeing. She saw fewer pairs, the total number of runs has reduced, with fewer beats per run. The runs went from somewhere in the multiple hundreds to 7, even during a walk and two incidents where she took off after a squirrel. (Vet requested light controlled exercise while in the holter.)

Recheck with holter in 4 months, echo redo in June. Staying the course on meds, increasing fish oil.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Awesome!

Reactions: falnfenix

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I know I responded on FB, but will add to it here. So so glad she is doing well on the meds - I know it is not easy or cheap for you. She is very lucky to have you, and I am grateful!

Reactions: falnfenix

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'm just hoping to keep her comfortable and happy as long as possible. So far, so good.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts