Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it happened. I thought we'd escaped it - her mother dropped and never woke up before the age of 6 - but Ripley seems to have DCM.

I'm going to start a thread here to keep things straight in an easy to access (and publicly visible) place. I am going to try to remain unbiased in this initial diagnosis. Ripley was bred by Denmar/Mary Neupaver, and she hit her 7th birthday this July. She was the 4th litter out of Mary's foundation bitch, Triadel's 24 Karat Gold, by Fitzmar's After Hours Cha-Rish. Maverick also dropped and never woke up.

Yesterday, after a game of fetch in the yard, she collapsed in the house. She had excessive drool, lost control of her bowels, was listless. I grabbed my husband while I figured out what to do, and in that time she stopped breathing for 30 seconds or less. She did recover, and was back on her feet in about 5 minutes. We rushed to the vet. They put her on an EKG overnight, with the plan for the cardiologist to see her today.

As of 6am today, she had some irregular beats overnight, but no other collapsing episodes.

Watch this space for more updates as the vet gives a formal diagnosis and we formulate a plan for the short term and long term future.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Lots of prayers for you and Ripley. I hope medication can give you some good time with her.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. So do I.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
That's a horrifying experience and I'm so sorry.

Will the cardiologist be able to perform an echo today? I went through 10 months of DCM that led to CHF with Fiona and we found out she had it in a very similar way to your and Rip's experience.

Sending you and Ripley lots of well wishes as you face this.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the pet ER we took her to is the home practice for CVCA. The cardiologist will do whatever they need to do this morning, as far as I'm aware. I'll know more when they call us.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
That is a horrible feeling. All crossables crossed for a good outcome.

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
Boy, I'm sorry you and Ripley had to go through that--it's the worst possible introduction to DCM (or any of it's variations) glad you are seeing a cardiologist early and they put her on an EKG overnight--keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

dobebug

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diagnosis is the best possible situation: low-mild DCM, very low chance of congestive, she'll be on Sotalol and Benazepril. Some VPCs detected. I'll check the full paperwork once we get it emailed to us.

I feel like we got lucky, here. Yes, it's arrythmic, but we seem to have caught it early.

She'll be coming home today.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
She bred her foundation bitch 4x???? Is Ripley in dobequest? I hate to be the one to tell you this but her sire also passed away from Sudden death according to dobequest.

I've very sorry to hear Ripley and you and your hubby are going through this. I wish her the best.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She bred her foundation bitch 4x???? Is Ripley in dobequest? I hate to be the one to tell you this but her sire also passed away from Sudden death according to dobequest.

I've very sorry to hear Ripley and you and your hubby are going through this. I wish her the best.
I hadn't checked Maverick's page in a while, so I didn't want to specify COD, but Mary Jo kept me up to date on what happened. She's good about information.

Yes, she bred Gigi 4x. Rip's in Dobequest - Denmar's Moonlight Diamond Caper.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I hadn't checked Maverick's page in a while, so I didn't want to specify COD, but Mary Jo kept me up to date on what happened. She's good about information.

Yes, she bred Gigi 4x. Rip's in Dobequest - Denmar's Moonlight Diamond Caper.
I've already given Falnfenix my support on FB, but will reinforce it here as well. Maverick (GCh Fitzmar's After Hours RE, CD, WAC and yada yada yada) is from my second litter. Ripley is from his only litter. I am grateful to how Laura has always kept me in the loop on Ripley's life. I'm hoping that she will (with meds) live long past the age both her sire and dam lived to.
I think Maverick sired her 2nd litter, but I could be wrong about that - it might have been her 3rd. For sure, I don't advocate breeding a bitch 4 times, although some breeders think it is perfectly fine. My max would be 3 times if one or both of the previous litters were fairly small, the dam was a good mother, and an easy whelper.

I do have Maverick's COD listed as sudden death on Dobequest. I was not informed of his death until it was too late to do a necropsy. However, my general train of thought on that is: if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck. So my assumption is that he died of a fatal arrhythmia. Unfortunately, his owner, Don, died, and his widow, Jackie, did not keep up with his health testing. There is just no way of knowing what his heart looked like after the age of 4.
The last time I checked Dobequest, Rip's dams COD is listed now as "unknown/DCM?", although we knew it was some form of DCM. Too many breeders do not keep up with Dobequest, and it is a pet peeve of mine. If you breed a dog or bitch, I think it is your ethical duty to keep health tests and COD listed and up to date. JMHO, but I seem to be in the minority on that opinion. I sometimes hear the opinion that the owner/breeder is too heart broken to update Dobequest - that is such a cop out to me. If you are so freaking emotional about things like keeping accurate data, then don't freaking breed!! Being a breeder can be really heartbreaking, but you have ethical responsibilities. When any of my dogs die, I contact everyone who has a puppy from them (or a sibling), and/or contact the breeders who bred to them..... before I update Dobequest and post of Facebook. Transparency is important so that we can make informed decisions and hopefully do better. There is absolutely no shame in having a Doberman die of cardio - the shame is in keeping it quiet when they have reproduced.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mav was Gigi's 4th litter. Deckard was from her second, and there was a litter between the two.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Diagnosis is the best possible situation: low-mild DCM, very low chance of congestive, she'll be on Sotalol and Benazepril. Some VPCs detected. I'll check the full paperwork once we get it emailed to us.

I feel like we got lucky, here. Yes, it's arrythmic, but we seem to have caught it early.

She'll be coming home today.
So happy to see this! It's pretty good news, right? Yeah!!!

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
So happy to see this! It's pretty good news, right? Yeah!!!
Yeah, I'd sure regard it as pretty good news. Dog dx'd early with that kind of diagnosis usually do well on medication. Pretty much they get to live life to the hilt.

And Mary Jo, I absolutely agree with you about the people who don't bother to keep up information on DobeQuest--I've kept up information on my males most of whom were never bred but they were brothers and uncles and cousins of dogs who were--and sometimes that information is as valuable to breeders as the primary line information is.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
Good news—if she had to have a problem, it looks like it's the best situation you could have expected. One of mine was diagnosed right after she turned 8 and once she was put on meds, she made it well into her tenth year with no symptoms. Medications can work wonders these days.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts