Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. Did he ingest it or did you use it to bathe him? This is a very confusing post.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
Don't know quite what to make of these posts. While I wouldn't use Dawn to bathe a dog (there are better products around) but I wouldn't think it'd make a dog lose all it's hair nor make it so sick that a vet said the dog should be euthanized.

Dawn is used regularly to clean oil off water birds who have gotten into it because of oil spills into local waters. Also used to clean off some OTC flea remedies which can make pets very sick if they lick the stuff off. And I've never heard of a dog ingesting dawn--or any other detergent.

I hope this poster doesn't lose his dog but I hope even more that this isn't just some sort of ill conceived joke post.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Don't know quite what to make of these posts. While I wouldn't use Dawn to bathe a dog (there are better products around) but I wouldn't think it'd make a dog lose all it's hair nor make it so sick that a vet said the dog should be euthanized.

Dawn is used regularly to clean oil off water birds who have gotten into it because of oil spills into local waters. Also used to clean off some OTC flea remedies which can make pets very sick if they lick the stuff off. And I've never heard of a dog ingesting dawn--or any other detergent.

I hope this poster doesn't lose his dog but I hope even more that this isn't just some sort of ill conceived joke post.

dobebug
It does read as SPAMmy or bot-like.

·
Big Lil pup
6,473 Posts
While I also would never use dish soap to wash a pet, I find it very hard to believe that Dawn would be toxic to dogs. There are people who have come into daily skin contact with it for their entire life with no ill affects. And not only is it used on waterfowl to remove contaminants, but also on aquatic mammals like seals for the same purpose.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I agree with falnfenix that it's hard to tell if the dog was bathed in it or ingested it.

I've used Dawn (and other brands of dish soap) to get motor oil and other kinds of grease out of dogs' coats with no ill effects to dog or human.

·
Big Lil pup
6,473 Posts
So...To continue this definitely "weird post"...

I was just researching DIY dog friendly weed control concoctions. This would be for fairly large spots as opposed to the occasional dousing of a pesky weed with boiling water.

One suggestion kept popping of as a human and pet friendly solution:

• 1 gal vinegar
  • 1/4 C Dawn dish soap (blue)
  • 1 C Epsom Salt (some recipes call for regular salt)
  • 1 gal warm water

Mix thoroughly and use a garden sprayer.

At the risk of bald dogs, I am going to give it a try this weekend.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
62 Posts
After reading this post approximately 10 times, I think the OP was trying to say their dog went bald. Still such a strange post, but I had a lightbulb moment just now.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
After reading this post approximately 10 times, I think the OP was trying to say their dog went bald. Still such a strange post, but I had a lightbulb moment just now.
That wouldn't explain having to put the dog down, though.

·
Alpha schmalpha
4,111 Posts
The op said his dog went BOLD...which could mean the dog became very aggressive.. He did mention it was a Warlock and we all know the fabled history of that doberman type.
The Warlock bit his hand and now he applies balm daily or it could be worse and bit his face... i am not sure.
He is confused and hurt (op) and is considering to put down his Warlock. A put down could mean death or just wise cracking on the Warlock by saying hurful things...again i am not sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts