Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I don't know the breeder. Their dogs don't look super hypertype which is good. And it does look like this breeder spends some time with their dogs. I saw one pedigree that I thought was decent, a few others that I wasn't a fan of. My biggest concern is that I don't see all of the proper health testing. Looked like some of the dogs had hip xrays, but I didn't see yearly echocardiogram or yearly holter results, no thyroid testing, no liver testing, I didn't even see vWD testing. The lack of health testing alone would drive me away from this breeder.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
From what I have seen very very high risk pedigrees as far as DCM goes, does not fully health test both parents or keep them up to date.

If you're looking at Serbia you can count on one hand the amount of reputable breeders who actually fully health test there.

But I'd ask you why you're looking at Serbia? Is it because you're in the UK and want a Cropped/Docked dog?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have seen very very high risk pedigrees as far as DCM goes, does not fully health test both parents or keep them up to date.

If you're looking at Serbia you can count on one hand the amount of reputable breeders who actually fully health test there.

But I'd ask you why you're looking at Serbia? Is it because you're in the UK and want a Cropped/Docked dog?
Yes mate I am in the uk and I do want the dog cropped and docked but I'm not just looking at Serbia in particular, I'm looking for a reputable breeder that can ship to the uk. When researching on a breeder what things should I look for ?

·
Big Lil pup
8,457 Posts
Hi 50189. Welcome from the Pacific NW

Personally, I love the look of a cropped and docked Doberman, But in the USA, that is called out in the official breed standard. Hence, generally any pup from a reputable breeder of quality Dobermans is going to send a puppy cropped and docked, with its dew claws removed.

But given quite the opposite in the UK... Aren't you going to be swimming a bit upstream. I have been reading about the existing and pending legislation to further discourage these surgeries. Plus, I believe that The Kennel Club is still coming up with requirements, regs, and rules that can make it nearly impossible to register or compete with a cropped and docked dog of any breed.

Maybe it would be easier just to move over here! LOL

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yes mate I am in the uk and I do want the dog cropped and docked but I'm not just looking at Serbia in particular, I'm looking for a reputable breeder that can ship to the uk. When researching on a breeder what things should I look for ?
The most important thing that separates responsible breeders from the rest in dobermanns is first and foremost their dedication to the breed's health. At minimum for a european dog I will want to see an echocardiogram done yearly, a 24h holter done yearly, hips, eyes. Ideally I'd like to see more but I know thyroid testing is not widespread in Europe for example.

I also want to preface this that any time someone gives you a breeder recommendation you should always ask for proof of health testing on any breeding that takes place. It should be automatic that you ask the breeder about it, because sometimes people will health test their first few dogs, then get lazy and stop. And make sure the testing is current within 12 months for the tests of the heart.

A few Serbian breeders who I know health test and are starting to understand the implications of DCM as far as pedigree goes
  • Laurent Forte a frenchman in Serbia, Holysin Dobermanns has shipped several dogs to the UK. As far as I know he tests, but again always ask.
  • Loris Land also in Serbia does health testing as well
  • Demonstrate My Style another Serbian that is doing their best
  • Cleas Canis (or Clea Canis maybe? can never remember) in Serbia
  • Bo Valcone in Serbia, but not sure if still cropping and docking.

A while back for a facebook group I started a list of reputable North American breeders willing to sell to overseas buyers. Some might require that you come get the puppy yourself so don't be surprised by this. However North American dogs tend to end up costing more money upfront, partly because they tend to have a lot more health testing done, and they tend to invest more in proving the dog's worth prior to breeding. I'd be happy to provide the short list I have if that's something you'd consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts